What is the DR1 Forum?

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
To me the DR1 forum is ilke going into a neighborhood bar like Cheers. If newcomers butts in and try and tries start a conversation about the neighborhood by asking a question or making a statement they may get some rough answers back as usually the regulars have discussed the subject to death. Or if the question involves a lack of character (like trying to get out of child support) then you will get some comments on your responsibilies. One cannot expect to get free advice in the way that they want. The moderators are like the bartender/bouncer. If you don't like the atmosphere then leave or don't come in.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
In neighborhood bars like the fictional "Cheers" there were never any newcomers. It was always the same characters sitting in the same stools talking the same crap over and over again. And hardly any of them ever got laid.

Here we have people from all over the world who visit the island often and sometimes relocate and become expats. And there are always members coming and going, so the perspective evolves over time.

Big difference if you ask me.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
In neighborhood bars like the fictional "Cheers" there were never any newcomers. It was always the same characters sitting in the same stools talking the same crap over and over again. And hardly any of them ever got laid.

Here we have people from all over the world who visit the island often and sometimes relocate and become expats. And there are always members coming and going, so the perspective evolves over time.

Big difference if you ask me.

no doubt all true...but you just described (even better than the newbie you are responding to) the "perception" many newcomers get during their initial visits here...real or imagined...it is the predominant perception i got, and am seeing reflected almost daily in posts from "newbies". Indeed, vets need to understand this is the first landing spot for all of those dumb (read - heard it all before a mil times), questions...we do not come here to be entertainment fodder for the enlightened, frustrated, jaded, or damaged...and those that insist on placing the first answer in the form of a jab just diminish the importance (and true depth) of this site. My advice to those types....hang back...your peers already get your cool and humor, let those (and there are many) willing to answer in an informative manner, do just that... (yet again re-spinning the broken record perhaps), give a little RD 101 to the newly initiated.

Jared Wilson

Apr 12, 2011
I think Sam, Woody, Fraser possibly even Cliff got laid quite a bit. Norm was the odd man out....
Yeah there is alot of hostility in the forums for whatever reason, but if you can accept it for what it is, there is also a huge trove of great information here as well. I wish I would have found this site before I went down, would have been nice to hang out with other Americans. Had to watch the Pack tear up the Bears in NFC title game alone:smoke:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
DR1 is like every forum I've ever participated in.

Noobs that come in and ask a question that has been beaten to death...before searching...get their butts handed to them. Just like everywhere else. There is even an innerweb acronym for it: DAFS...which is similar in context to RTFM.

And it takes a while to know who the Good Guys are and who is full of crap. PLUS there is a wide range of personalities, cultures and beliefs on DR1, prolly more diverse than almost any other type of forum.

Just like In Real Life. No different.

Additionally, MANY of us here also know each other IRL.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yes much like cheers we have the regulars drinking at the bar and a little bored looking at the same old people. A newbie will then come in to ask a question they have heard a million times and more than likely know where to find the answer that has been answered by a lawyer if it's in the legal section but it's more fun to hackle and give their own personal advice which wan't asked for.

Ok don't throw tomatoes at me I know how hard it is. I have back spaced many times and gone to the search function or not answered at all. ;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Agree!

:d
The,"KINDER,GENTLER" DR1 these "newbees" desire,would be as interesting as watching grass grow!
I was once described as;"The crazy old uncle at the family reunion,who sits in the corner and yells profanities,while no one pays him any attention."
I like that analogy!
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,TO ALL OF THOSE WHO WANT A "NEUTERED"DR1,
Go PHUCK YOURSELVES!......AND,"WELCOME ABOARD"!!!!!!
"Uncle",Cris COLON
AKA,CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
:d
The,"KINDER,GENTLER" DR1 these "newbees" desire,would be as interesting as watching grass grow!
I was once described as;"The crazy old uncle at the family reunion,who sits in the corner and yells profanities,while no one pays him any attention."
I like that analogy!
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,TO ALL OF THOSE WHO WANT A "NEUTERED"DR1,
Go PHUCK YOURSELVES!......AND,"WELCOME ABOARD"!!!!!!
"Uncle",Cris COLON
AKA,CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Ok, you've had your yell. Now back in the corner.