Samana Town Beach

ken(toronto)

Oct 25, 2011
Hi,
>
> I'd like to know How long a walk from the cruise ship dock to walk to the Beach?
>
> Being the only beach in town, is there a lot of people?
>
> thanks
>

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What beach? The tiny one on the pedestrian bridge? That's a mighty walk from where the cruise ship shuttles dock and an unimpressive beach. I'd suggest a boat to Cayo Levantado for the day.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I believe there is a small beach next to the private beach at the Hotel Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa which is around the other side of the bay from the Malecon. Take an open air taxi. It is a 5 minute ride.

S

jonvelas

Jan 29, 2010
gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com
Samana Town Public Beach - Also knowed as Cayacoa Beach ( Playa Los Cayos )

Your Cruise Ship Small Tender Boats will bring you to the last Dock on the Malecon of Samana.
The Malecon is the "Seaside Promenade Boulevard". From there it takes about 15 minutes to walk to the Public Beach.

The Public Beach goes by two names : Cayacoa Beach or Playa Los Cayos.
The Beach is shared with the guests staying at Cayacoa Hotel from the Gran Bahia Principe chain of Hotels.
Its never to crowded, I actually go there every morning since I live right in the town of Samana.

You will find a Detailed Map of how to get there at the local website of the the town, here is the link :

Go Samana | Samana, Dominican Republic

Also, a good thing to know is that if you want to go walking on the Famous Bridges to Nowhere of Samana,
the ONLY entrance to get access to the bridges is right there at the public beach. :cool:

Jefft

Nov 22, 2011
You mention the famous bridges to nowhere. Yesterday I booked one week at Bahia Principe Cayacoa starting Jan 14 and the hotel brochure and most of the photos of Samana have these bridges in the background but do not mention anything about them. What was their original purpose an are they open to the public?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
You mention the famous bridges to nowhere. Yesterday I booked one week at Bahia Principe Cayacoa starting Jan 14 and the hotel brochure and most of the photos of Samana have these bridges in the background but do not mention anything about them. What was their original purpose an are they open to the public?

...to attract tourists who knew no better while lining the coffers of a well connected (to the government) individual. Not all that different than Alaska.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

These bridges look nice from across the bay, but unfortunately they have not been maintained. You can walk a fair distance across the bridges but parts are crumbling and cracked and there is a lot of garbage between islands. Samana politicos should be ashamed of themselves for letting this icon deteriorate to the point where it will be unsafe to use.

S

Jefft

Nov 22, 2011
Hotel Gran Bah?a Principe Cayacoa de Saman?
A young couple was robbed in their hotel room last Friday.

But as they always say "Crime happens everywhere..."

El Caribe ? Asaltan pareja en resort de Saman?

donP

Wow, not the news I wanted to hear. I did a fair bit of research on the area before I booked and other then pickpockets and not getting proper change from vendors it looks like a good area without to much major crime. Other then watching over my shoulder a bit more I wont let this kind of thing affect my trip unless it starts getting more common.

Jefft

Nov 22, 2011
Hi:

These bridges look nice from across the bay, but unfortunately they have not been maintained. You can walk a fair distance across the bridges but parts are crumbling and cracked and there is a lot of garbage between islands. Samana politicos should be ashamed of themselves for letting this icon deteriorate to the point where it will be unsafe to use.

S

Thanks for the info but what was their original purpose? Are there any buildings or structures out here. One person wrote a review on Trip Advisor about their trip and mentioned that it was a resort/hotel out there but was damaged by a big storm many years ago and abandoned. I can't beleive that because the bridge looks to narrow for cars and trucks to get supplies back and forth.

jonvelas

Jan 29, 2010
gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com
The famous Bridges to Nowhere of Samana Town

Do not worry about safety here in the Town of Samana, it is very safe.
I have been living right here in town for over 2 years.

Regarding the Bridges to Nowhere of Samana, back in the 1980's there was a small Restaurant/Bar operating for a while and now only the structure remains. These remaining structures are located on the last part of the Bridges on the Cayo Vigia island. Besides that, there are a lot of sitting areas with cement benches.

I actually go there every morning to walk... ( bare foot ! ) its very quiet and beautiful.
Yes, it is a shame that the local mayor in town is not taking better care of this Samana icon.
Every 3 months or so, they send a cleaning team over to clean the place up... it helps but doesn't last, it gets littered with stuff quite rapidly.

We still love very much our famous Bridges to Nowhere, they are part of our scenery here and they are the icons of our small Town of Samana. ;)

Jefft

Nov 22, 2011
Do not worry about safety here in the Town of Samana, it is very safe.
I have been living right here in town for over 2 years.

Regarding the Bridges to Nowhere of Samana, back in the 1980's there was a small Restaurant/Bar operating for a while and now only the structure remains. These remaining structures are located on the last part of the Bridges on the Cayo Vigia island. Besides that, there are a lot of sitting areas with cement benches.

I actually go there every morning to walk... ( bare foot ! ) its very quiet and beautiful.
Yes, it is a shame that the local mayor in town is not taking better care of this Samana icon.
Every 3 months or so, they send a cleaning team over to clean the place up... it helps but doesn't last, it gets littered with stuff quite rapidly.

We still love very much our famous Bridges to Nowhere, they are part of our scenery here and they are the icons of our small Town of Samana. ;)

I'm not to concerned with the safety of the area. I have alot more then that going on weekly within a 3k radius of my home but thats life in the big city. Its just a shame it happens in a small town and tourist area. It gets your attention just a bit more then it would anywere else.

Thanks for the info about the bridges. We may pass each other while i'm there for one week starting Jan 14.