Single men and adoption in the Dominican Republic

JDOL

Oct 25, 2011
I am a dual citizen (Dominican & US) that is interested in having a child. I would like a biological child and wanted to know if anyone knows if surrogacy is allowed in the Dominican Republic.

The surrogate would not have genetic linkages to the baby (donated egg) but I will. How would I go about doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Good question...It will be interesting to see what the legal gurus say about this. My first inclination is to think you should be able to make an arrangement with someone to do this for you, but I wouldn't think you could legally enforce such an agreement if the mother decided not to give up the baby afterwards. I've never heard of anyone doing this in The DR...99.9 % of Dominican guys would want to partake in the fun of making that child.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Why would anybody want to have a kid this way when there are so many attractive women on this island???? ie, come on down and spend a while not in the tourist areas and behave yourself like a gentlemen and you will eventually land a good one.

At any rate I also expect the Dominican government to be very keen on where the child will be raised and under what circumstances. IMO opinion any type of "alternative" type of families will not be considered, just my two cents.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Gotta love that search button ;)

All adopted children will have the same inheritance rights as their siblings beginning August 2004 when Law #136-03 comes into effect.

At present, only "privileged adoption" ("adopcion privilegiada") confers on the adoptee inheritance rights, "simple adoption" ("adopci?n simple") does not.

As to "surrogacy", I confess that I don't what it means legally and I don't have my dictionary on English/American law at hand.

I did some research and found no statute on surrogacy in the Dominican Republic. Without a statute, hiring a surrogate mother would be legally very complicated.

JDOL

Oct 25, 2011
I forgot to add. Since I will be the biological parent of the child, is it still called an "adoption" or can the mother relinquish rights and allow me to be the sole caregiver. Does that make sense?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I forgot to add. Since I will be the biological parent of the child, is it still called an "adoption" or can the mother relinquish rights and allow me to be the sole caregiver. Does that make sense?

It makes sense yes, and like others am very interested to see what feedback comes of this, something I have not come across or heard about in DR, but take forgranted in our modern worlds. Interesting topic.

Good luck!

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~Sounds like you would be opening a can of worms with Surrogacy in the RD...I know it would probable be much cheaper here however you risk the lose of the innocent child once born if the surrogate decides she has some maternal tie to the child once born with out there being any statutes or law decided on past historic similiar cases...

With this being stated why don't you have the donor egg relenquish her rights to the egg, and higher a surrogate in the US. Law will better protect you in the US, however only to a degree, this is a very touchy area even if the surrogate does not supply the egg....

~You must think this through clearly...and remember there will be a child that could ultimately suffer if this is not done correctly..

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There are Homosexuals who would like children, it is not as easy for them for obvious reasons.

Based on the following requirement for adoption and the Dominican governments laws it won't be anytime soon before they will be able to adopt children from the DR:

(1) Affidavit from a religious or community organization in the adopting parents’ country of residence attesting to their good morals and civic virtues.

As far as not homosexuals not being able to have children are concerned, from what I remember from biology the sperm from the male and the egg from the female are what make that happen but apparently some never got that memo. :)

JDOL

Oct 25, 2011
Would it still be considered an adoption if the birth mother relinquishes all her rights and the father is the biological parent? The egg donor will be Dominican.

Normal

Oct 16, 2011
Based on the following requirement for adoption and the Dominican governments laws it won't be anytime soon before they will be able to adopt children from the DR:

(1) Affidavit from a religious or community organization in the adopting parents? country of residence attesting to their good morals and civic virtues.

You seriously think that is an insurmountable hurdle? A few well place pesos can get you any document you need.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
A few well place pesos can get you any document you need.

And that is an over exaggerated myth. Yes you can by your way through most problems in DR. But people forget you need the connections to get these things done, no one just rolls up and pays a secretary to type a document, lol. And it is not so obvious where to look for corrupt influence, and it is dangerous to presume everyone is corrupt. Then you can't just make up your own laws, it has to be an existing law to find a simple way through it. Then whatever you have paid for has to stand up to scrutiny. You can buy a cedula and have it within 3 days in the capital, but it is of absolutely no use what so ever if you really need it for anything other than a passing check.
I am not saying fraud and corruption is not huge in DR, but I am saying what you and many others claim is merely a myth in reality, although yes, a physical piece of paper is easy to get for anything.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
No pun intended, but, are you putting the cart before the horse? As you say you want to use donor eggs with a surrogate, is IVF being preformed in the DR ?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Would it still be considered an adoption if the birth mother relinquishes all her rights and the father is the biological parent? The egg donor will be Dominican.

The quotes I posted are from our resident lawyer. Even if the mother/donor relinquishes all her rights it's not that easy to take a child out of the country. Is it still considered adoption if you are the biological father? Good question.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Don't forget either that the adoptive parents have to be married and have lived together for some years.

Also, I think we can be relatively certain that the Dominican government won't recognize homosexual unions as real marriages no matter if they are recognized somewhere else. I bases this on their other conservative stances toward abortion and homosexual marriage.