Travel from SDQ to LT

Rickey

Oct 25, 2011
This our second trip to the DR. Been 8 years...way to long. Anyway our first trip was to Caberete. We loved it! Anyway that was easy to get to from the POP. This time we're going to LT. Much more involved getting there from SD. Looks like travelers mostly rent a car or take the Caribe Tours bus. I went to the Caribe web site and it looks like the bus only goes to Sanchez??? Is this correct? Then what does one do? Take the metro or guagua or grab a cab?

Thanks,
Rick

Rickey

Oct 25, 2011
OK, last time we were in Caberete in 2004 it was not recommended that gringos rent cars. Seems that nowadays, from what I see on these forums, lots of touristas are renting cars. If I rent a car, will it be useful while staying in LT? We wanted to check out Playa Rincon and Samana....would it be safe to drive myself around the peninsula?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If you are new to the driving then SDQ is not really the place to take the plunge, kind of baptism by fire, but if you are an experienced driver you will manage fine, but get lost straight away for sure. How much would you be prepared to pay a taxi?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
Rick, I live in LT. You have a couple of options. If your flight arrives during the day I would definitely rent a vehicle and drive. The new section of highway just opened this week and from SDQ to Las Terrenas in is about 1hr 45min. You are on beautiful roads all the way. There is a bus, called Las Terrenas Transporte from Santo Domingo they have buses direct to LT at 8:30,9:30,11AM,1;40 and 3PM. There number is 809-687-1470. When you get out of the airport you take a cab, which will cost you about $30usd and tell him you want to get the bus to Las Terrenas. There is a small bus stop just before the new highway to the Samana peninsula. The bus will pick you up there. Just remember that the bus is coming from Santo Domingo and will probably take about 20-30 minutes to get to your stop. The price is very reasonable at about $12.00us per person. The bus will drop you off in the tourist sector of Las Terrenas across from Paseo Plaza. If you decide to drive and want directions send me a private message. Good luck. You will love Las Terrenas.

S

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I wouldn't be afraid of renting a car - especially for the trip facing you.
Its an easy, pretty, pleasant drive.

You just need to be very aware when driving.
I have done it since my first visit - including SDQ, which should be avoided.

Remember toll money 350 pesos for the SDQ - Nagua strip.

Rickey

Oct 25, 2011
Ok, thanks everyone for your insights.

We are arriving at SDQ late in the evening...8:10pm. So we booked a room at the hotel Conde Penalba. We figured we could taxi from SDQ to the hotel, stay the night, then check out the zona colonial in the morning and early afternoon. Then we could head out for LT in the mid-afternoon...taking either bus or car rental. But, it sounds like a car drive from deep inside SD could be a bit hairy until one gets out into the campo.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Taxi into the Capital and then a hotel for the night and then buses and whatever. You can get a taxi from SDQ airport to LT the same night for less than this will cost you.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Rick:

I've stayed at the Hotel Conde'. The hotel is nice. The location is great, in the heart of the colonial zone. It is about 30 minutes minimum to the hotel from the airport. If you decide to take the bus all you need to do is take the taxi from the hotel to the bus station is SD and it will take you directly to Las Terrenas. Call the number I gave you for Transporte Las Terrenas and get the address or have the desk clerk at the hotel do it. She speaks English. Then just give the taxi driver the address. It is a small bus station.

S

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ok, thanks everyone for your insights.

We are arriving at SDQ late in the evening...8:10pm. So we booked a room at the hotel Conde Penalba. We figured we could taxi from SDQ to the hotel, stay the night, then check out the zona colonial in the morning and early afternoon. Then we could head out for LT in the mid-afternoon...taking either bus or car rental. But, it sounds like a car drive from deep inside SD could be a bit hairy until one gets out into the campo.

That Capital shouldn't be too bad from where you are... very close for getting out of town.

Avoid rush hour when leaving - that will kill you. No rules

Rickey

Oct 25, 2011
We are concerned about traveling acroos the island late in the evening. I've read specific concerns about traveling at night across the NE peninsula.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
We are concerned about traveling acroos the island late in the evening. I've read specific concerns about traveling at night across the NE peninsula.

Hi:

I would stick to the plan of staying overnight in SD and then take the bus the next day. I would not advise you to drive after dark when you are totally unfamiliar with the roads. Driving in the DR can be a real challenge and at night there are more hidden hazzards.

S

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Not just the NE peninsula, try to avoid driving anywhere in the DR at night. For a relaxing time you would much better off not renting a vehicle.

Rickey

Oct 25, 2011
I agree Bigbird, much more relaxing to skip the car rental.

Thanks everyone for you input. Looking forward to our second drip to the DR.