El Quemaito vs. Pontevedra near Barahona!!!!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Pontevedra is a really nice place to stay. And the restaurant is good also. But that was a few years ago. I assume it is the same. The other place I know nothing about.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Pontevedre

I have stayed at Pontevedre several times. It has a beautiful pool with a swim up bar and an outstanding view of the cliffs and ocean from the pool. There is a nice almost private beach a few steps away from the pool, though every time I was there the surf was rough and I did not venture into the ocean. At night the view of the sky is impressive. The rooms are like small 2 room apartments with a stove and refrigerator and couch. There was no kitchen equipment (pans, plates, silverware etc) though I did not ask. They did my laundry for me (for a price). The owners and employees are all very nice and extremely helpful. The rooms are comfortable, the A/C is a little loud. There is security posted at night. They have a large generator but don't always run it during the day. They have recently raised thier rates which include a simple breakfast of eggs,toast, juice and coffee and dinner that is a choice of 4 or 5 items with standard side dishes. It is quiet at night and I enjoyed my stays there. I have not stayed at Quemaito, or Playa Azul.

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
I have actually stayed at Pontevedra twice and loved it---but it has been about 5 years since I've been there. I noticed their price change too, but a bit cheaper than some others---and includes 2 meals!

Playazul (do they have a website?)and Quemaito (seems updated and good---just breakfast)--some friends have stayed at both places and have enjoyed those as well....

I'm just looking for some clear direction----which is clean--(more for families than single men looking for action), not old and musty, AC, good cooks, clean pool, walkable beach (not so worried about swimming---parents are in their 60's & want little sun, but a lot of exercise and exploration and time in the shade, if possible), etc.

We also want to RIDE some PASO FINOS!!!! Any leads???

How about the caves in San Cristobal?? How does that work?!!?!

Thanks!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
We had a toss-up between Pontevedra and Playazul, and went with the latter on the recommendation of friends, and were happy with that. We did drive by Pontevedra and it looks nice but it appears the rooms are closer to the road, which could be noisy.
I cannot speak highly enough of Playazul. Good value, VERY clean room with A/C, reliable electric, hot water, CLEAN bathroom, nice pool area. Breakfast was included. We were gone all day so not sure about lunch but we didnt love the dinner there at night so went into Barahona to eat at night. I assume you will have a vehicle, you need one there IMO.
The pool area is pretty. There are a lot of stairs to and from the little pebble beach but it sounds like your parents are in good shape and should manage fine. The owners are a French couple and were very pleasant and helpful. This info is based on our stay there in 2009.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
I stayed at Hotel el Quemaito and very much enjoyed it. The rooms are spacious and the grounds are very well kept. The hotel is also an eco-pioneer in the area using solar power and a compost pile, for example. Playa el Quemaito, a very calm water beach, is only a few steps from the hotel. The food is very good as well.

I visited both Pontevedra and Playa Azul and I would choose Playa Azul over Pontevedra. In any case, you can't go wrong with Quemaito or Playa Azul. Here is Quemaito's site Hotel el Quemaito

If I'm not mistaken, the others do not have websites.

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
Quemaito is full.

Pontevedra is $1600 pp--for dinner and breakfast included
Playa Azul----$1200 pp--for only breakfast

Looking for best accomidation--clean w/ AC...pool, food, beach....

HELP ME CHOOSE! :D

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have stayed at Playa Azul. It was OK but no better than that. Rooms a little old - just a bed, noisy a/c with a non functioning control, and basic bathroom. There is a restaurant bar, but many items were off the menu. I am also sure they filled the Brugal A?ejo bottle with Carta Dorada! Nice views, small stony beach, pleasant pool but chaotic at the weekend with locals.

Matilda

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Casa Bonita is $245US ($9310DP) per room per night after taxes. It would have to be some kind of stunning for those prices.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Yep, it's expensive! But man, you got to do yourself a favor next time your in the vicinity of the place and drive up to it and walk around the place. if you're dressed nice, i'm told that they'll allow you to eat or drink in the restaurant or outside by the infinity pool which sits on a cliff. It's absolutely, hands down, the nicest hotel i've ever seen on this island or Turks & Caicos, or anywhere else in the Caribbean. I'm sure there's an equal, but i haven't seen it yet.

PS. If anyone knows of a similiar hotel to Casa Bonita with the same kind of view, please list them here so that i can visit them when i'm travelling around the island.

Thanks, Frank

Frank

Casa Bonita is $245US ($9310DP) per room per night after taxes. It would have to be some kind of stunning for those prices.

Bahoruco

Jun 24, 2011
Altos de Cano Hondo - Similar view as Casa Bonita

Frank,

A hotel with a similar view as Casa Bonita and a very special architecture is the Altos de Ca?o Hondo, near Parque los Haitises in Sabana de la Mar and belonging to the Paraiso Ca[URL="http://www.paraisocanohondo.com/"]?[/URL]o Hondo hotel (100m further).

The morning and evening view of the sabana and the Bahia de Samana is stunning, especially from the higher rooms.
The quality is not on the same level as Casa Bonita neither is the swimming pool (with ice cold river water), but the price is more reasonable and standards are still very high.
It is a very good place to relax a few days, and maybe the best "eco tourism" destination in the island. You can also make a nice few hour walk into the Parque los Haitises, walking through some of the best (sub)tropical forest on the island.
Ask explicitly for a room in Altos de Cahttp://www.paraisocanohondo.com/alojamiento/altos-ca%F1o-hondo.aspx?o Hondo, not in Paraiso Ca?o Hondo.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
Our friend rode to the Rancho Platon, which is higher up and above Casa Bonita, and said it was stunning. I know this is an older thread but we recently stayed at the Playazul and thought it was very nice. We did luck up and get the unit closest to the beach and farthest from the others. The food there is good also and a friend in Barahona says he goes there often to eat as it is better than anything in town. We didn't see the Quimaito but was not impressed at all with the Pontavedra.

SANY0257.JPG

SANY0275.JPG

Barahona%252520DR%2525202011.JPG

these are pics from Playazul

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Great pics ben jammin, thanks for sharing. Brings back great memories of our stay there, a wonderful place for sure.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Quemaito is full.

Pontevedra is $1600 pp--for dinner and breakfast included
Playa Azul----$1200 pp--for only breakfast

Looking for best accomidation--clean w/ AC...pool, food, beach....

HELP ME CHOOSE! :D[/QUOTE

I've stayed at both places, and at the prices you have quoted, take Playa Azul. It's closer to Barahona and IMO the rooms are a little nicer. It is a little quieter as it is located a little farther away from the highway. Pontevedra is on the main highway, but there are colmados right close by if you want to buy something to store in your fridge. Both places are nice and secure with great views. If you like fishing you can go off the point at Playa Azul and try your luck....anyway have a great time, I think that part of the Island is the most beautiful part of the DR