Need advice on opening a photography studio.

Hello,

I am looking to move to the Puerto Plata area and was wondering if the area could support another gringo photographer. Where would I go to find what the current rates are.

Also I am a Ordained Reverend. I am wondering if the area needs a dual languaged reverend to perform english spoken ceremonies. I know that it is not binding unless they do a justice of the peace also but it is my understanding that this would be a rarity there.

Thank you for your help.

Paul

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Perhaps somewhere near the capital or Juan Dolio would be better. JD will shortly have film studios and the capital is the center of the fashion industry. Punta Cana nearby is the the major toursist area in the DR.

Major airports give access to Europe and many other destinations.

Tourist industry there is growing very fast.

Photos: Albanian fashion vs Dominican Republic haute couture

pi2

pi2

Looking more for the Puerto Plata area and service Cabarette, Sosua, POP, Sanitago, etc. I have a friend already doing this in Punta Cana - La Romana area making 3000 usd per week. I would be happy with $1000 in the POP area. With Playa Dorada I think it would work.

Personally the Capital, Punta Cana, and La Romana are not my thing.

Paul

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Paul, I cannot imagine any way you could make $1,000 US dollars a week in the Puerto Plata/ North coast area with a Photography studio. I could be wrong. Your report of a friend making $3,000 US a week in Punta Cana is truly amazing. Is that because many people from out of the country have their weddings there?

Playa Dorada is not doing well.

Is your target market the typical wedding/birthday style photographer or something else?

I don't do birthdays or Quinces. I do weddings and model photography. Yes my friend does 3 or 4 weddings per week is is booked for over a year in advance. I specialize in a more fashion oriented wedding style. I am competent with traditional and photojournalistic styles as well.

All of his work is from foreign clients yes. He only works 4 days per week for that.

I was profiting 1000-1500 per wedding here so I was cutting that to about half for there. I can do 2 per week. I am partially disabled due to an auto accident. After the word gets out in the US about the value of the north over Punta Cana area the people will come. It just takes advertising and promotion.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The photo shops here in the DR are a dime a dozen and many no doubt would be very happy to make RD60k a month.

You will have to focus on the tourist market to get anywhere close to where you want to be. There are also many competent bilingual Dominicans in the tourist areas doing the same thing so competition will be tough.

I would estimate an income of less than half of what you expect until you are able to get your name out there. Also, the North coast is in a recession as far as tourism goes so you might want to look at the more exclusive and busier Punta Cana area.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
3000 a week in PC... wow... i wouldn't advertise that to much... the local guys that sell protection may want a piece...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
3000 a week in PC... wow... i wouldn't advertise that to much... the local guys that sell protection may want a piece...

I would not worry about that....The almighty Reverend will be able to get away from the bad guys like speed racer in his Pontiac Fiero!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Keep us posted. Those of us who live here and know that the economy is depressed and that hotel bookings are way down, even with many hotels close, don't think you will do nearly as well on the North Coast as you report your friend is on the South Coast. But you may prove us wrong, so please keep us informed.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Keep us posted. Those of us who live here and know that the economy is depressed and that hotel bookings are way down, even with many hotels close, don't think you will do nearly as well on the North Coast as you report your friend is on the South Coast. But you may prove us wrong, so please keep us informed.

Agreed with Ken. You are picking the wrong location for photo studio, Pontiac Fiero, Harley Davidson, English speaking Rev etc. It is a nightmare waiting to happen. Best wishes all the same.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have several American friends on the North Coast. Also not near the population. I do not like city life. Before the POP area I researched Azua for another type of business but it was not feasible. I will work in the tourist areas but probably live in Moca.

Even Santiago is too large for me.

If you plan on driving to PP from Moca everyday prepared to spend lots of time on the road and a lots of money in gas.

Your better looking for something in the campo W of PP like Luperon.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have several American friends on the North Coast. Also not near the population. I do not like city life. Before the POP area I researched Azua for another type of business but it was not feasible. I will work in the tourist areas but probably live in Moca.

Even Santiago is too large for me.

I live in Cabarete. I also do not like city life. I have taken the Moca Road many times. I would never consider living in Moca and working on the North coast in the POP area. That is about a 2 hour trip. The scenery is beautiful, but the road is decaying at an accelerating rate. Driving that road at night is very dangerous, bordering upon suicidal. There are better options for living if you plan to work on the north coast.

I live in Cabarete. I also do not like city life. I have taken the Moca Road many times. I would never consider living in Moca and working on the North coast in the POP area. That is about a 2 hour trip. The scenery is beautiful, but the road is decaying at an accelerating rate. Driving that road at night is very dangerous, bordering upon suicidal. There are better options for living if you plan to work on the north coast.

Thank you for the advice on Moca. Are there any small, cheap places near POP?

Rev Paul

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Thank you for the advice on Moca. Are there any small, cheap places near POP?

Rev Paul
Not that are safe for your Fiero and family. Your business plan has you making $1000/week. You can certainly live in a moderate abode.
BTW, about this business plan. You should realize that most of the hotel weddings are packaged by the hotels with an employed wedding planner/coordinator. In this country one doesn't simply walk in and set out a shingle and expect to do business. It is all who you know and who you pay. If you expect work at hotel weddings be prepared to take care of the hotel wedding planner/coordinator. That is assuming you get that far without a visit from some of the established photographers' cousins.