standards have dropped in el choco restaurant

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
has anyone else noticed this recently , the last time I went in my vegetables consisted of one slice of cucumber halved and about eight strands of grated carrot.....Im not that fussy but there is a limit

Aug 21, 2007
Haven't been there recently because word on the street for awhile has been that the quality is no longer the same.

Lindsey

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
i believe many restaurants with high overhead will keep cutting portions and deliver lower quality meals in hopes of cutting costs. The costs of doing business increased substancially this year...electricity, propane, employee wages, employee insurance and raw materials. A fair increase in price is much more acceptable than bad food.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
I was there in September and I agree it was not up to it's usual standard. A couple of items on the menu that we asked for were unavailable. I will give them another chance when I return in December.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
has anyone else noticed this recently , the last time I went in my vegetables consisted of one slice of cucumber halved and about eight strands of grated carrot.....Im not that fussy but there is a limit

The original owners that do/did a great job sold the place again. The first time the same thing happened and he didn't last long. The original owners took the place back again and built it up agian. A lot of hands on work and time to bring it back as a good business.

It appears that this new owner is doing the same thing again.

It does not take much to keep an established clientele as long as you keep giving them what they are used to and what they want and that takes work. It takes very little time to **** them all off.

We stopped going some time ago...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Last time I visited with friends a few weeks ago, there was no sancocho and their house speciality, chivo, was also unavailable.

As it was lunchtime, I settled for the Dominican fayre but the buffet is no longer in action and I was served what was far more like sweet and sour pork with the addition of habichuelas - am thinking they have 'lost the plot' and I, for one, won't be returning any time soon.

Great shame as it was always good quality value for money.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Last time I visited with friends a few weeks ago, there was no sancocho and their house speciality, chivo, was also unavailable.

As it was lunchtime, I settled for the Dominican fayre but the buffet is no longer in action and I was served what was far more like sweet and sour pork with the addition of habichuelas - am thinking they have 'lost the plot' and I, for one, won't be returning any time soon.

Great shame as it was always good quality value for money.

My novia asked for the chivo but the waitress suggested she not order it as it was not very good that day.!!!!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Ever since Marco and Jacquiline sold the place it has gone down hill on rollerskates. We used to eat there at least once week and now have not been there in over 8 months. Three terrible meals was enough to convince us that things had changed for the worse. Sometime as a new owner you should think..." if it aint broke don't fix it"

Bob K

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It used to be one of our favourites too. We would visit at least once a week too. Marco and Jaqueline made that place, even though they are Swiss, we were made very welcome. Their food and service was excellent. Jaqueline was a keen experimenter in the kitchen and was always looking for something new and exciting, She would often ask us for our opinion when she came up with something new. And Marko was the life and soul of the party, with his contagious laugh!

It seems that Charlie and the blonde girl focussed more on their German/Austrian/Swiss clientele when they took over. We stopped going because of the change of atmosphere and that their food standards were dropping and they changed their menu. Now it sounds like their German speaking clients have abandoned them too.

Such a shame. We no longer have a favourite. We keep trying Baileys, but their service standards have dropped recently too, although the food is still good.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
It used to be one of our favourites too. We would visit at least once a week too. Marco and Jaqueline made that place, even though they are Swiss, we were made very welcome. Their food and service was excellent. Jaqueline was a keen experimenter in the kitchen and was always looking for something new and exciting, She would often ask us for our opinion when she came up with something new. And Marko was the life and soul of the party, with his contagious laugh!

It seems that Charlie and the blonde girl focussed more on their German/Austrian/Swiss clientele when they took over. We stopped going because of the change of atmosphere and that their food standards were dropping and they changed their menu. Now it sounds like their German speaking clients have abandoned them too.

Such a shame. We no longer have a favourite. We keep trying Baileys, but their service standards have dropped recently too, although the food is still good.

It is a shame that so many places that we would go to have changed owners, greed set in or the client mix changed. My wife and I use to go out 2 or 3 times a week and often friends would join us. That was alot of regular business. Now we go out maybe twice a month to a pizza place on a side street with easy parking and quite. We find that we are happier staying at home and having friends over. The housekeeper cleans up in the morning.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It used to work!

"Even though they are Swiss?" Hmm, I wonder what that means?

This scenario fits into a saying I have come up with about the DR. It refers to something that functioned at one time and now no longer works. It can be applied to businesses as well as automobiles and other mechanical items that are not properly maintained. I simply say, "It used to work."