Shirt Laundry and a Source for Dishwasher Detergent (aka. Cascade) in SOSUA?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Well, I guess that make's it official then.
I moved from Puerto Plata to Sosua... kind'a... (outskirts). Yeah, yeah, yada, yada, yada... never say never! :cheeky:
Not really because I wanted to, but at this point, I don't mind either... I'm set up in a nice modern, supposedly safe condo with Sea view, a bunch of pools around and a nice modern gym down stairs (I guess for those who know, it's about as good a description as giving out my new address).

Now. I need some directions?
No, not "where are the babes?"! (I know, they are locked up. Ha!)

• Where do we have our shirts laundered and ironed WITHOUT damage (professionally), is there a dry cleaner closer than going back to Puerto Plata?
  • I was pleasantly surprised to find that my apartment comes equipped with a "Maria"... (a dishwasher)! But at loss to find a source for dishwasher detergent! I hope I am not the only one with such a fine little machine. Same question probably for the "shine"-fluid one has to pour in once every what, two months or so?
That's it so far! But more may come up.

Thanks! ... J-D.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Player in Sosua and Janet's in Cabarete have dishwasher detergent

Dishwasher detergent is available at Playero in Sosua and Supermercado Yanet's (Janet's) in Cabarete. The last time I bought a "new improved" version of Cascade with Dawn and it is awful compared to the regular Cascade. I have not seen the rinse agent sold here, but if you find that let me know. Janet's is selling an off brand called Supreme Clean from Food Club. Perhaps it will work better than the new Cascade.

P.S. I hope your dishwasher is a brand other than a Frigidaire. I could only find that brand when purchasing one and it has turned out to be the worst dishwasher I have ever used.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Well, I guess that make's it official then.
I moved from Puerto Plata to Sosua... kind'a... (outskirts). Yeah, yeah, yada, yada, yada... never say never! :cheeky:
Not really because I wanted to, but at this point, I don't mind either... I'm set up in a nice modern, supposedly safe condo with Sea view, a bunch of pools around and a nice modern gym down stairs (I guess for those who know, it's about as good a description as giving out my new address).

Now. I need some directions?
No, not "where are the babes?"! (I know, they are locked up. Ha!)

• Where do we have our shirts laundered and ironed WITHOUT damage (professionally), is there a dry cleaner closer than going back to Puerto Plata?
  • I was pleasantly surprised to find that my apartment comes equipped with a "Maria"... (a dishwasher)! But at loss to find a source for dishwasher detergent! I hope I am not the only one with such a fine little machine. Same question probably for the "shine"-fluid one has to pour in once every what, two months or so?
That's it so far! But more may come up.

Thanks! ... J-D.

Welcome to the neigborhood! I hope that it's the "right" one. How are the girls?

I can't help you with dishwasher stuff or your shirts. Our housekeeper takes care of all of that. If you need one once or twice a week for a few hours... and you are close... let me know. Ours is great but is not full time so she may have so extra hours available.

Keep in touch.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
WindeGuy: Thanks! I'll check it out and I'll heed your advise about the "new & imspoofed" version of Cascade.
I like FoodClub products... so far none has been worse than anything else they sell here.

Ringo: A los anos! Ha! Neighbor!
I'll have my all time cleaning lady come in from Puerto Plata three times a week. Not because she's hot or overly good, but I could trust her for the past 4 1/2 years. THAT's worth a LOT. But I have given up on her ironing my shirts once Sirena had that laundry in the store.
So, I'm still shopping for a place I can entrust my nicer shirts with.

The girls are doing well,... Melany especially, VERY well. It's now a couple or years that she has decide to call me "Papa". And I'm actually proud of it. She dedicates me ALL her school successes and also has learned to come to me with "failures" and ask for help. It's intensive, a lot of work, but I am not much busy here in the DR anymore. I love her to death just as she's shown me.
I just tucked her in, she has her own room now here. She's not with me permanently, but MUCH of the time.

Anyways... good to hear from you and YES, lets stay in touch!
... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
So... I went to Jannet's (which was packed, btw!) and looked up the DishWasher Detergents available:
CASCADE powder in a small 20Oz box a whooping RD$370.oo
CASCADE powder with "DAWN" (Ringo warns against it above) in a 35Oz box for a hefty RD$ 490.oo!!
FOOD CLUD powder in a 45Oz box... "only" RD$170.oo
FULL CIRCLE powder in a 45Oz box... promising to be "good" to the environment, also "RD$170.oo.

Being the cheap bastard I am... I got one each of the last ones.

Playero:
CASCADE liquid in a bottle (sorry lost the note about size and price)
GUT und GUENSTIG-Power Aktiv... a German knock-off "non-brand", TABS which bear the promise to clean AND rinse to a shine (kind'a like the cleaning tabs for your dentures, I guess!). Well, it's GERMAN, so it's gotta be good, now doesn't it? 40 Tabs (40 washes) RD$ 290.oo about 5 US cents per wash! I can do that!
An alternate TABS brand, but with Spanish lettering on it... forgot the name... but seem to remember a similar price... when you can choose between German and Spanish... the choice is easy! Ha!

So far I have tried my German Tabs. Good wash, clean and shiny!
My washer is a Whirlpool brand, stainless front/plastic interior but somewhat above contractor's "special" grade. It makes it's brand's name all honor... it washes aloud, like there is a little storm and tsunami convention going on inside.

I'll post later about the other two products.

So far NO little shine-rinse fluid anywhere.

Funny: At Sirena (POP) they tried to make it believable to me that I could as well use Hand-Dishwashing Soap... the one out of bottles! "eh lo mismo!" Well, yeah right! BS... or as our host here would put it: UTTER BS! I did that ONCE... FOAM came out of all corners of the machine! You know, these things are supposedly water tight! So you can imagine what was going on in there! NEVER try that!

... J-D.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes indeed, hand washing soap or normal liquid dish detergent would be a disaster. Better to use a little laundry detergent, but still not recommended. At least you found all of the current options available. As we all know, buy it now, because tomorrow it may not be on the shelf or ever show up again.

By the way, The Food Club product from Janets works better than the more expensive Cascade with Dawn and as well as the original Cascade. I did not see the German brand yet at Playero, but I don't go there very often.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
AlterEgo: I would seem "my" German knock-off tabs are very similar to the FinishPowerball tabs.. except for not featuring the "ball", but they ARE multi-layer.

WindeGuy: No surprise to me... as I said before, I have yet to find a FoodClub item which would be worse than anything thing else they'd sell as "eh lo mismo" around here.

Thanks! ... J-D.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
A little off topic, but maybe helpful. I was reading an article about the use of detergents in various types of appliances. The consensus of various people who should know, (appliance experts, repair people, etc.) is that one should use about half, (or even less), of the recommended amount of detergents in the various machines. I've tried it and it really does work better.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A little off topic, but maybe helpful. I was reading an article about the use of detergents in various types of appliances. The consensus of various people who should know, (appliance experts, repair people, etc.) is that one should use about half, (or even less), of the recommended amount of detergents in the various machines. I've tried it and it really does work better.

To tell you the truth Captn, that's why I like the prepackaged cubes for the dishwasher. I find I have a tendency to put more than the recommended amount of liquid into the DW , so I end up spending a lot more using it.

I'm guilty of the same thing with the washing machine, but I'm working on that too, haha

AE

Aug 21, 2007
Cascade Complete is the only way to go. It comes in a plastic dispenser which you place in your soap tray. The plastic dissolves. And the soap and other ingredient do the rest. It is quite expensive in the US- about $11.00 a box, if I remember right, but it is better than anything. A box might have 30 or 40 dispensers. If you cannot get that product, I would not get a dishwasher. The cost of electricity, plus the cost of the detergent is not worth the outcome.

I don't have one. I speak on the words of all my friends who HAVE installed dishwashers and are now unhappy. A maid is cheaper, with better results.

Lindsey

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Anyone who might accidently cause a foaming monster with dishwashing liquid in a dishwasher, just add a few drops of fabric softener. Kills the foam right away!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Anyone who might accidently cause a foaming monster with dishwashing liquid in a dishwasher, just add a few drops of fabric softener. Kills the foam right away!

And makes your dishes small fresh as a daisy!

In order to get Cascade Complete here, I think you would have to import it yourself or talk a local supermarket into doing so.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
JD,
I've found GUT und GUENSTIG-Power Aktiv tabs to work consistently better than Cascade powder (a product I swore by in the U.S.). Perhaps it's the water but Cascade doesn't do well for me here. By the way, it's closer to US$0.20/wash as opposed to the US$0.05 you calculated!

The liquid dishwashing machine soaps/gels I've never felt cleaned well. Welcome to the neighborhood.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
So, now that we have the detergent sorted out.
Tell me. REALLY, there is NO shirt laundry... NO dry cleaners in this town?
Where am I supposed to have my plaid Chacabanas (Guayaberas) properly pressed?

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
This place opened a couple of years back. I haven't used it myself but heard it was good.
Quick & Bright Commerical & Residential Laundry Service | North Coast Dominican Republic | Free Pick-Up & Delivery | North Coast Dominican Republic
If you use it please post the results
Mack

Guinea pigging me, huh Mack?
The site says they're on Pedro Clisante 76... I'll check'em out. Some of my Chacabanas are rather expensive, I want to know who's going to shred them and show them my machete first.

Thanks! ... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
GUT & GUENSTIG at RD$ 290 for 40 tabs... erm... RD$ 290/40= RD$ 7.25 @ RD$39/USD = USD 0.18... YOU'RE OF COURSE RIGHT! I don't know what the heck I calculated up... been in this country too long, probably. Damaged goods! :D
... J-D

JD,
I've found GUT und GUENSTIG-Power Aktiv tabs to work consistently better than Cascade powder (a product I swore by in the U.S.). Perhaps it's the water but Cascade doesn't do well for me here. By the way, it's closer to US$0.20/wash as opposed to the US$0.05 you calculated!

The liquid dishwashing machine soaps/gels I've never felt cleaned well. Welcome to the neighborhood.