Some facts about Dominicans and the U.S.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Facts and Information about the DR and People you didn't know! 2

As of January 2010 there were 12,630,000 legal permanent residents in the U.S. including people granted lawful permanent residence “green card" for the first time, but not including those who had become US citizens already.

Among these legal permanent residents, an estimated 8.1 million were eligible for naturalization, DHS said.

Some 12.5 million people were legal residents in 2009, compared to 12.6 million in 2008.

Of that number 26% (3,283,800) of legal residents in 2010 were born in Mexico, far outpacing other Latin American countries, including the Dominican Republic with 3.5% (442,050), Cuba (2.9 percent), El Salvador (2.5 percent), Colombia (1.9 percent) and 1.4 percent from Guatemala.

There are over 1.4 million Dominicans in the U.S. as reported by the U.S. Census of 2010.

According to data from 2007 about six-in-ten of Dominicans (60.1%) in the United States were born in the Dominican Republic, compared with 39.8% of Hispanics and 12.6% of the U.S. population overall. Most immigrants from the Dominican Republic (56.5%) arrived in the U.S. after 1990. Nearly half of Dominican immigrants (46.3%) were U.S. citizens. As of the 2010 Census the number of Dominicans now citizens outpaced other migrant groups by double digits.

A majority of Dominicans (52.2%) speak English proficiently. Some 47.8% of Dominicans ages 5 and older report speaking English less than very well, compared with 38.8% of all Hispanics.

Dominicans were younger than the U.S. population and older than Hispanics overall. The median age of Dominicans was 29; the median age of all Hispanics and U.S. population was then 27 and 36 respectively.
They had a slightly higher level of education than the Hispanic population overall. Fifteen percent of Dominicans ages 25 and older—compared with 12.6% of all U.S. Hispanics—had obtained at least a bachelor’s degree.
The median annual personal earnings for Dominicans ages 16 and older were $20,238 in 2007; the median earnings for all U.S. Hispanics were $21,048.

As of the 2010 Census the figures have been changed dramatically, starting with the fact that only a reduced number of legal permanent residency holders from the Dominican Republic opted not to become citizens of the U.S., but also the amount of those admitted lawfully into the country grew by 23% over the prior year. Out of the number of legal residents of Dominican origin in the U.S. (442,050) some 280,000 of these were qualified 100% to become naturalized citizens if they opted to at the time of the Census.

Another aspect is that the number of non-immigrants admitted into the U.S. from the Dominican Republic reported a large pattern of growth far above the prior 10 years. In the year 2001 some 207,989 Dominican citizens were admitted under the I-94 non-immigrant visa to the U.S. In contrast, in 2010 some 272,897 was the figure reported by the DHS. It also must be noted that the figure of legal residents of Dominican origin in the U.S. is about double that of the legal permanent resident (LPR) holders. These account for the Dominican citizens admitted to the U.S. under the family reunification Visa, fiancee, minors, temporary residency holders and students under the F1 and other various educational/professional temporary residency permits.

The number of non-immigrant visas (non-renewal, non-replacements) issued by the U.S. consulate in the Dominican Republic for the last ten years was:

• 2001: 51,864
  • 2002: 48,698
  • 2003: 44,750
  • 2004: 35,223
  • 2005: 60,474
  • 2006: 77,559
  • 2007: 70,112
  • 2008: 69,309
  • 2009: 70,827
  • 2010: 69,032

• Total: 528,816

The U.S. issued 69,032 non immigrants visas to Dominican nationals in 2010. It also issued 43,717 immigrant visas in the same year to Dominican nationals broken down respectively :)

• Immediate Relatives: 13,080
  • Special Immigrants: 25 (U.S. Armed Forces special immigrants *Classified as of 2011)*read line below.
  • DOD Classified immigrants: 102 (Must be noted that in 2010 the number of immigrants under these categories for the whole world to the U.S. was only 3,043)
  • Family Preference: 30,482
  • Employment Preference: 28

The total figure of new Visas (immigrant and non-immigrant) issued to Dominican nationals in 2010 ascends to 112,749. Since 1988 the U.S. no longer includes B1/B2 visa renewals for Dominican nationals in the total of new visas issued as tallied above. B1/B2 visa holders of the Dominican Republic whom renew their 1, 2 or 3 year expiring non-immigrant visas are automatically issued 5 to 10 years, multiple entry visas.

The non-immigrant visas reflected above per year indicated, only make reference to new visas in length of 1 to 3 years issued to new applicants in the Dominican Republic. As of the year 2010 "Immigrant Visas Issued" worldwide by U.S. consulates was a grand total of 482,052. Of this total only Mexico outranks the Dominican Republic with 65,621 issued. The third closest is the Philippines with 37,394 and based on a long military engagement in the area by U.S. personnel.

The number of Immigrant Visas issued based on adjustments of status, subject to numerical limitations of available visas worldwide for the Dominican Republic nationals was 31,250 in 2010 alone. This is the number of Dominican nationals that changed their unlawful status or non-temporary status to legal immigrant visa holders and temporary residency in the U.S.

In 2010 the U.S. consulate issued adoption immigrant visas to 235 kids of Dominican nationality, this data is not included in the above totals of visas issued in the country.

The number of Immigrant Visas issued to Dominican citizens from 2001 to 2010 by the U.S.:

• 2001: 14,606
  • 2002: 15,394
  • 2003: 22,894
  • 2004: 22,741
  • 2005: 21,839
  • 2006: 21,586
  • 2007: 18,267
  • 2008: 23,364
  • 2009: 40,824
  • 2010: 43,615 *(+102)

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Endure the lows and the government economy policies this way we won't have to migrate to any other country in the world...

JJ

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Endure the lows and the government economy policies this way we won't have to migrate to any other country in the world...

JJ

These are numbers only to the U.S....

The total for all other countries Dominicans are calling home is closing fast to the figures of the old migration stop for Dominicans...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
These are numbers only to the U.S....

The total for all other countries Dominicans are calling home is closing fast to the figures of the old migration stop for Dominicans...
Actually it is a shame the country is so messed up that so many Dominicans want to get out.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
And why is it that I have Santiago withdrawal and have to go at least twice a year since I've left but the majority of Dominicans I've met have not been to their own country on average 4 years and express no desire to go. And when I tell them I've lived there and will be going back, they give me the eyebrow lift and say "Tu 'ta loca?!?"
I don't understand.
Also every year, in the Dominican parade in NYC, the fools who look like Bozo the clown with so much DR stuff on....(hat, shirt, shoes, necklace, wristband,etc...all with the flag on it).....have NEVER BEEN in their lives and when I tell some Dominicans that I lived in Santiago, they have no idea where that is....everything is in reference to "La Capital", that they've never been to either.

SHALENA

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Well it's pretty straight forward SHALENA, the answer to your question is, 'ignorance is bliss'.

Those who have never been out of here, don't know what they're missing, so they're naturally really proud of what they have here. That's just silly tribalism. I get told every day that I won't leave and that "tu vas a morir aqui". To which my response is always: "yes, by the way people here drive, it's possible!"

Then on the other side, the American culture lacks one unified identity. Everybody wants to be 'different' and unique and proud. Ask 10 people who are all wearing the same clothes if they're unique and they'll all say they're special. So naturally, anything that can help them differentiate - such as ethnic tribalism - helps fulful that objective. It's like this in lots of cultures in America - those that are the most orgulloso have never been to that part of the world. Consider 2nd generation Mexican Americans or 5th generation Jews in America - never been to israel, but raise lots of funds for it etc.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
And why is it that I have Santiago withdrawal and have to go at least twice a year since I've left but the majority of Dominicans I've met have not been to their own country on average 4 years and express no desire to go. And when I tell them I've lived there and will be going back, they give me the eyebrow lift and say "Tu 'ta loca?!?"
I don't understand.
Also every year, in the Dominican parade in NYC, the fools who look like Bozo the clown with so much DR stuff on....(hat, shirt, shoes, necklace, wristband,etc...all with the flag on it).....have NEVER BEEN in their lives and when I tell some Dominicans that I lived in Santiago, they have no idea where that is....everything is in reference to "La Capital", that they've never been to either.

SHALENA

Funny ! Actually, I used to say the same thing about Puerto Ricans. I remember trying to find info about Mayaguez before I went to study there and realized that many had never been there (or once as kids). Mind you, the airfare from NYC to San Juan is dirt cheap.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Well it's pretty straight forward SHALENA, the answer to your question is, 'ignorance is bliss'.

Those who have never been out of here, don't know what they're missing, so they're naturally really proud of what they have here. That's just silly tribalism. I get told every day that I won't leave and that "tu vas a morir aqui". To which my response is always: "yes, by the way people here drive, it's possible!"

Then on the other side, the American culture lacks one unified identity. Everybody wants to be 'different' and unique and proud. Ask 10 people who are all wearing the same clothes if they're unique and they'll all say they're special. So naturally, anything that can help them differentiate - such as ethnic tribalism - helps fulful that objective. It's like this in lots of cultures in America - those that are the most orgulloso have never been to that part of the world. Consider 2nd generation Mexican Americans or 5th generation Jews in America - never been to israel, but raise lots of funds for it etc.

While I agree, you also have to take into account that your perception of the place is different than someone from there. I from Paris and I had to leave the place to realize it is indeed a beautiful city. So, what you may find, beautiful and exotic, may not be for a native. Also, while I love going back home, it is not exactly vacations for me, as my time there is spent seeing friends and family. So, I rather go to other places.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Whenever my spouses extended family come back here for a visit all they do is complain. It is so dirty here, everything is so expensive, etc..They never have anything good to say about their country. But now here is the funny part, once back in the US they can't wait to come back.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Until,or Unless,You Live In The DR Permanently,You Can/Will NEVER KNOW!

Coming to the DR for you is an "Adventure",a "Vacation",a "Break" from the "Rat Race/Job,that is your life in your country!
Doesn't matter how many times you visit the DR,or how long you stay,if you are not here 24/7/365,you can/will NEVER KNOW!
Coming here is like going "camping".It is fun to be in a beautiful place,relax,forgetyour "Cares" for a while.It,s fun to be on your own.No water,no electricity,no nothing! You can go "home" refreshed.
Point is,"You Can Go Home",whenever you get tired of "Camping"!
IF YOU LIVE HERE PERMANENTLY,you have to face,and hopefully resolve, all those "problems" that are now permanent,and not so much fun as when you were just "camping" in the DR!
To most Dominicans there is no "OUT" of here!
Why wouldn't they want to go to "Nueba Yol"?
According to all their family and friends,NY is a "Paraiso"!
Imagine,you never have to work,and the "Gobierno" pays you to stay in an apt. for free,and then gives you money too!
HEY!, THAT DOES SOUND PRETTY GOOD!
I THINK i'LL GO BACK TO BOSTON AND GET EVERYTHING FOR "Free"!
Free for me,that is!
The US Taxpayers(The Few That Actually Pay Taxes) can foot-the-bill!
SO WHEN YOU LIVE HERE FOR A FEW years,the "Bloom" will be off the "Rose"!
Like when you got married!
You were in love with your spouse.They were the best thing that ever happened to you!
You wanted to spend every minute possible with them!
You actually wanted to spend your entire life with them!
How about now?????????????????????????????
Remember that when you think about leaving everything behind,and "Marrying" the DR!
"Divorce" is always a painful experience! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC