What to do in Puerto Plata very early in the morning

Jacob Heller

Oct 1, 2011
Hi all,

My flight gets in to Santiago Airport at 3am; by the time my taxi gets me to Puerto Plata, it will be around 4:30am. The hotel (Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort on Cofresi beach) says it won't be open at that time. Where should I go? What would you suggest that I do?

Thanks,
Jake

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Why not just take a cab to a cabana in Santiago and get a 3-4 hour nap and have him pick you up at 6-7 am and drive up in the daylight. You will be more refreshed and it is much less dangerous than being on the roads in middle of the night.

Everything he said!!!!

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Although the hotel may not be technically open with front desk staff etc. it is an open air lobby with no front door.
You can crash in the lobby for a few hours if you so desire.
There will be service staff of some sort on duty around the clock at this resort.
Head down to the beach and watch the sunrise on Cofresi beach as a worst case scenario.
Not that the cabana suggestion is a bad one either...

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Although the hotel may not be technically open with front desk staff etc. it is an open air lobby with no front door.
You can crash in the lobby for a few hours if you so desire.
There will be service staff of some sort on duty around the clock at this resort.
Head down to the beach and watch the sunrise on Cofresi beach as a worst case scenario.
Not that the cabana suggestion is a bad one either...
Better have administration leave word with the security officer on duty to leave you alone in lobby area. They are pretty stuborn. No bracelet, no entry.

BTW, The sun rises South of East this time of year. If you go to the beach, look towrds Puerto Plata, not out to sea.

Last edited:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Well from experience kill time in the cabana ( have done that ) or take that ride and wait in the lobby. My concern is the ride from Santiago to Puerto Plata at that time it may not be the best. Not sure but I would think that the Hotel Lobby would be somewhat ok since checkouts would not be that far behind of your arrival time. My opinion....

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Hang out in the lobby. You wont get there till 5-5:30 or so. There is usually coffee out at the buffet restaurant (30 second walk from the lobby)

Bob K

Jacob Heller

Oct 1, 2011
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I think I'll stick to just going straight to the hotel lobby, since I don't want to pay cab faires to take me to Santiago, which is out of the way. Watching the sun rise over Puerto Plata on the beach doesn't sound like such a bad way to start the morning :)

@kjt96, for what it's worth, I'm flying in from Boston on JetBlue. No word on time changes, but like Belmont said, I'd be more than happy to leave later and arrive later!