Hassle Free Car Rental : Possible?

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
I've read nothing but bad stories about car (guagua) rentals in this country.

Is it possible to find a car rental company in this country that will not try to rip you off?

Specifically I'm intersted in knowing if any vendors rent cars with 100% full insurance with no questions asked, ie. even if I return the car in a zip lock bag, it's okay.

Has anyone had success they wish to share?

Feb 7, 2007
You want to rent a car or guagua?

Guagua is called here anything other than car, SUV or a truck - guagua can be a pickup, a minivan, van, small bus, and big bus.
So what exactly do you want to rent?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I used to rent from Adventurecar with no problems whatsoever.

The may have taken issue if I brought the can in a ziplock bag. If it was my car I would also...

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I think they all tend to hold a 1-2K (USD) deposit and their own fleet insurance kicks in after that, so that amount is like a deductible in a way. You can bring the car in a ziplock bag but you are not getting your deposit back in that case.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Stick with the major rental companies. Take out full insurance, CDW, tire/windshield, and liability. You might also inquire if casa de conductor insurance is included. In the event of an accident be sure to return the vehicle with a police report inside the zip lock bag.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
haha thanks for the feedback everyone. Yes we're looking for a simple SUV, something like a nissan pathfinder. We don't want to take our little car on weekend trips as it's getting destroyed by all the holes and damage etc.

Bigbird there have been several posts on DR1 complaining about Budget and Sixt (which I consider major rental companies), that's why I asked.

Thank you.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Alamo and Hertz have decent franchise holders in the DR. An SUV will be expensive. The best advice is: Do Not Get into and Accident, period.

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
Alamo and Hertz have decent franchise holders in the DR. An SUV will be expensive. The best advice is: Do Not Get into and Accident, period.

Alamo at the Puerto Plata airport offers 100% coverage, and I have never had a hassle with them.

Feb 7, 2007
Sixt upholds its franchisees to probably the most highest and most rigorous standards of any car rental companies. At least that was 4 years ago when I rented from them last time, before I got my own car. Things may have changed though, but at that time they got regular checks and controls from Germany and had an operating manual the size of Library of Congrress

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Better read the fine print. In many countries you are only covered for damage and/or extrication of the vehicle if on a designated roadway. You are not covered for off-roading a 4WD.
Here is Hertz fineprint:
Generally, Hertz vehicles, including 4-wheel drives, are to be operated only on regularly maintained roads. Off-road use is a violation of the rental agreement.

vida

Mar 18, 2010
I have had the best luck with Avis at SDQ airport. I would suggest that you buy all insurance they sell even though it will more than double the price of the rental. Last weekend a friend was returning to the US and left a bag with some not too important things in the back seat. I called. They had the item. I sent someone to pick it up. No problems.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Vida and Papa Benito - hilarious that your post differs in opinion on Avis. This is the 'hit+miss' that's been posted on this forum about car rental. I guess bottom line is, it's hit miss.

Does anyone know of a rental car company that lets you drive into Haiti? Or is that definitely impossible?

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
Vida and Papa Benito - hilarious that your post differs in opinion on Avis. This is the 'hit+miss' that's been posted on this forum about car rental. I guess bottom line is, it's hit miss.

Does anyone know of a rental car company that lets you drive into Haiti? Or is that definitely impossible?

None of them do. If you go to Haiti and something happens to the car, you will be held liable.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
I have had the best luck with Avis at SDQ airport. I would suggest that you buy all insurance they sell even though it will more than double the price of the rental. Last weekend a friend was returning to the US and left a bag with some not too important things in the back seat. I called. They had the item. I sent someone to pick it up. No problems.

When I go to DR, I always rent from either Avis, Hertz.... I alway buy the full insurance since I wouldn't want to be liable for anything.

On my last rental, I got stranded some where past La Vega, heading to SD. I called, and I got a replacement within three hours.

Never had a problem returning the car either; hence, fully insurance.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Everbody has thier opinions based on a good/bad experience. We have rented from Europcar so many times we own shares
in the company. Thats our personal experience yet some people say stay away from them? Check out prices, locations and go with your gut.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My experience has been that they clone your card... almost all of them, at least all where i have rented, and they were all name brands.

I get the best results now - for my visiting friends- with a local hombre who is $50/day and that includes pick-up/drop-off at the airports

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
Yes, I rented a car from Freddy's in Sosua and took it to Haiti for 10 days. You will need someone who speaks spanish and creole to help you get the car through the border. Avis also allows it.

You are required to have a letter of authorization prepared by the car rental agency that will allow you to cross the border. Sometimes they are honored, other times not. Make sure the matricula is in the car, and rely on someone who crosses the border regularly to help you get past the Dominican side. On the Haiti side, you will pay an entrance tax, a bribe, really, and then you are off. Don't lose the papers in Haiti, it will be tough to bring the car back without them.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
My experience has been that they clone your card... almost all of them, at least all where i have rented, and they were all name brands.

I get the best results now - for my visiting friends- with a local hombre who is $50/day and that includes pick-up/drop-off at the airports

Does this mean that for $50/day someone would drive you around 24/7, if necessary?