Moca to La Cumbre in 6:04. 50 curves.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Yes, i agree. Those guys won't last long. Although i'm told that they've been doing that same race/climb for nearly 20 years now (since 1993).

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Yes, i agree. Those guys won't last long. Although i'm told that they've been doing that same race/climb for nearly 20 years now (since 1993).

The Jose Maria Cabral hospital is full of crazy motorcyclists on the weekend. Some leave feet first.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
This other video on the list is nice!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lg8jO58dPFA?version=3&feature=player_profilepage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lg8jO58dPFA?version=3&feature=player_profilepage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We've ridden that road dozens of times. It's a great ride, but you need to be careful. Those guys took a ton of chances. But Caveat Emptor. One is responsible for one's actions.

Here's a MotoCaribe group of top riders (canyonchasers.net) on the same stretch of road riding V-Strom DL650's, but going downhill (I'm riding sweep):
[video=youtube;IRwMD2tbpQc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRwMD2tbpQc[/video]

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We've ridden that road dozens of times. It's a great ride, but you need to be careful. Those guys took a ton of chances. But Caveat Emptor. One is responsible for one's actions.

Here's a MotoCaribe group of top riders (canyonchasers.net) on the same stretch of road riding V-Strom DL650's, but going downhill (I'm riding sweep):
BTW, the rider in blue is an amateur female racer...(Chip was on that tour and knows these folks.)

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
The CanyonChaser video is a great video, and the soundtrack is fanatastic as well!

FRank

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The CanyonChaser video is a great video, and the soundtrack is fanatastic as well!

FRank
Those guys are all MSF Advanced instructors or top amatuer racers. Top 1%er riders.

It was a joy and pleasure to ride with them...

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I also like the Suzuki 650. perfect for the potholes around the island. It also has a lot of suspension which makes it practical for this place.

frank

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009

It shows. They knew every turn and what to expect. Wise... hmmm, not really as is clearly visible twice in the video. Once the car cutting of the second rider on purpose, and secondly the car really having to get out of the way.

Then again it reminds me of the good old days of me riding the Belgian Ardennes on my fireblade. And it reminds me of someone here behaving like a complete moron on the autopista from SD to La Vega (no, not CB...)

The one thing which really freaked me was the way those guys leaned over in a turn and put their foot out????

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Riding a bike here in the DR can be fun and is actually safer than in the States. I've got probably 20,000 miles here over the almost last 6 years. It's not necessarily unsafe to go fast on the roads as long as they are sparsely traveled and one is attentive going around the corners because Dominicans are very notorious for not staying in their lane.