Awesome: the New Road from Jarabacoa to El Rio

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Thank you President Fernandez for directing tax pesos for the new road between Jarabacoa and El Rio, on the way to Constanza!

We've driven the old road a few times in the past and I have done it once on a V-Strom. To put it mildly it was a bad, unsafe road: very narrow following a mountain ridge, poor drainage, no safety rails and dirt that would wash away.

No longer.

We've heard of the construction on the road since Oderbrecht moved into our old house in Jarabacoa. Three weeks ago we talked to some family members who took it and said it was still a long way from completing. But as part of the www.MotoCaribe.com pre-season scouting we checked it out today knowing it is supposed to be fully christened and opened in January.

Wow! Another amazing stretch of fine engineering. :)

The entire road from Jarabacoa to El Rio is about 17 miles. Of that the whole road is paved except for two stretches, one of 3 miles and one of 2.3 miles. And the 2.3 mile stretch was being worked on today. Both stretches aren't that bad although one has a lot of loose gravel on downhill areas that would make for a butt-clinching motorcycle ride utilizing all control and braking skills. But that is a temporary situation.

The guardrails are maybe 10% up with nasty posts sticking up all over and there are very, vert few turn-offs because of the deep concrete drainage ditches along the entire route. I'm sure this will be added before officially called "opened."

We took pictures along the way:

A stretch of unpaved road:
IMG_8603Small.jpg

Randon views of the road:
IMG_8619Small.jpg

IMG_8621Small.jpg

IMG_8613Small.jpg

IMG_8634Small.jpg

(I cannot WAIT to motersickle through THIS:)
IMG_8641Small.jpg

IMG_8605Small.jpg

Amazing vistas:

IMG_8617Small.jpg

IMG_8647Small.jpg

An "obligation" to honk. :cheeky: Now we know why horns are part of the culture:
IMG_8638Small.jpg

I found this interesting. Certainly in the mountains where the road is cut through erosion is a real problem. Here the engineers put a sort of growing fabric carpet directly on the dirt. It grows and I assume rootsinto the dirt in an effort of natural soil preservation:
IMG_8626Small.jpg

IMG_8625Small.jpg

The Big Picture of the growing carpet:
IMG_8627Small.jpg

Overall, very impressive. It is fine to use as is with just a regular vehicle and MotoCaribe won't hesitate to use this amazing road as part of our upcoming tours. Additionally, this will allow for produce from the Constanza valley to be transported to the north much more efficiently.

Well done! I look forward to it's final completion!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I took that road all the way to Constanza once years ago. Having it paved is tremendous. It will be one great "skyline drive."

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Cobraboy,

So, you're a motorcyclist? Nice. That video i posted this past week of two guys setting a new record climb from Moca to La Cumbre was me and my friend: Moca to La Cumbre: 6:04; Husaberg 550 vs Honda 450 - YouTube

Both of our bikes are Supermotos. i drive a 2008 Husaberg 550, and he drives a 2010 CRF450. Both bikes are modified for supermoto racing.

We have some other bikes as well. I also have a CBR100RR, and he's got a GSXR1000; my other friend drives a KTM 950SM. I've owned around a dozen bikes here since the 80's, and frequently travel around the island. the best bike i've driven around this island is my friend's KTM 950SM. It's similiar to the Suzuki DL650's that you guys use.

Next month we'll be taking a tour around the island on our supermotos. Now that you've posted this new road, i'm sure we'll make an effort to visit it. it looks fantastic.:classic:

Frank

Thank you President Fernandez for directing tax pesos for the new road between Jarabacoa and El Rio, on the way to Constanza!

We've driven the old road a few times in the past and I have done it once on a V-Strom. To put it mildly it was a bad, unsafe road: very narrow following a mountain ridge, poor drainage, no safety rails and dirt that would wash away.

No longer.

We've heard of the construction on the road since Oderbrecht moved into our old house in Jarabacoa. Three weeks ago we talked to some family members who took it and said it was still a long way from completing. But as part of the www.MotoCaribe.com pre-season scouting we checked it out today knowing it is supposed to be fully christened and opened in January.

Wow! Another amazing stretch of fine engineering. :)

The entire road from Jarabacoa to El Rio is about 17 miles. Of that the whole road is paved except for two stretches, one of 3 miles and one of 2.3 miles. And the 2.3 mile stretch was being worked on today. Both stretches aren't that bad although one has a lot of loose gravel on downhill areas that would make for a butt-clinching motorcycle ride utilizing all control and braking skills. But that is a temporary situation.

The guardrails are maybe 10% up with nasty posts sticking up all over and there are very, vert few turn-offs because of the deep concrete drainage ditches along the entire route. I'm sure this will be added before officially called "opened."

We took pictures along the way:

A stretch of unpaved road:
IMG_8603Small.jpg

Randon views of the road:
IMG_8619Small.jpg

IMG_8621Small.jpg

IMG_8613Small.jpg

IMG_8634Small.jpg

(I cannot WAIT to motersickle through THIS:)
IMG_8641Small.jpg

IMG_8605Small.jpg

Amazing vistas:

IMG_8617Small.jpg

IMG_8647Small.jpg

An "obligation" to honk. :cheeky: Now we know why horns are part of the culture:
IMG_8638Small.jpg

I found this interesting. Certainly in the mountains where the road is cut through erosion is a real problem. Here the engineers put a sort of growing fabric carpet directly on the dirt. It grows and I assume rootsinto the dirt in an effort of natural soil preservation:
IMG_8626Small.jpg

IMG_8625Small.jpg

The Big Picture of the growing carpet:
IMG_8627Small.jpg

Overall, very impressive. It is fine to use as is with just a regular vehicle and MotoCaribe won't hesitate to use this amazing road as part of our upcoming tours. Additionally, this will allow for produce from the Constanza valley to be transported to the north much more efficiently.

Well done! I look forward to it's final completion!

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Awesome, Other than a couple of stretches I didn't really have anyproblems with it before, but paved with proper drainage, awesome. Nice photos.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
One quick question Cobraboy,

My friend and i saw that someone in Jarabacoa was selling a Yamaha WR250x about a year or so ago...have you seen that bike around your neck of the woods?

FRank

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
One quick question Cobraboy,

My friend and i saw that someone in Jarabacoa was selling a Yamaha WR250x about a year or so ago...have you seen that bike around your neck of the woods?

FRank
Never saw it, but there are a lot of bikes here....

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Awesome, Other than a couple of stretches I didn't really have anyproblems with it before, but paved with proper drainage, awesome. Nice photos.
It was really nasty during the rainy season...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Oh great...I drove that stretch a few years back in a (very low) Toyota Camry and even ended up losing a bumper. It was horrendous at the time and it was at night. I thought I would never make it to Constanza.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This will be a great road when it's done. So will the one from Constanza to San Jose de Ocoa. that will really cut time traveling to the SW from Santiago.

Also the erosion control mat they are using is very effective and great stuff if they can get the local grasses to grow on it. They should use it in more places.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This will be a great road when it's done. So will the one from Constanza to San Jose de Ocoa. that will really cut time traveling to the SW from Santiago.

Have they actually begun anything on the Constanza to Ocoa road? My husband heard a group of property owners in Ocoa [up the mountain, not in the city] are banding together to make a formal protest regarding the state of the road, which Leonel promised to fix. A couple of high muckety-mucks in the group, let's see what they can accomplish.

AE

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Have they actually begun anything on the Constanza to Ocoa road? My husband heard a group of property owners in Ocoa [up the mountain, not in the city] are banding together to make a formal protest regarding the state of the road, which Leonel promised to fix. A couple of high muckety-mucks in the group, let's see what they can accomplish.

AE

cobraboy was my source on that one but I don't know the latest status. I think this road could really open up more opportunities for this area.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
cobraboy was my source on that one but I don't know the latest status. I think this road could really open up more opportunities for this area.

I agree. And I like what I see in CB's photos, with all the mudslides in Ocoa they need something similar. Only strengthened with steel mesh. :devious:

AE

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

AE
I thought the locals are complaining about the road coming from Las Cruses (?sp), not to Constanza. It has some pretty gnarly stretches.

Leonel pledged to build the Jar-Con and Con-Ocoa road last election. So he's batting .500.

And whe the Con-Ocoa road IS built...that will be outstanding!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Cobraboy,

Moca to La cumbre: 50 curves

I think you said that you ride with some amateur and professional riders? Tell them that if any of them can beat the time of "6:04" from the bottom (where the Nativa gas station sits) to the top (where the restaurant of La Cumbre stands) i will buy them drinks at the the top (La Cumbre Restaurant). There's 50 curves from bottom to top: Moca to La Cumbre: 6:04; Husaberg 550 vs Honda 450 - YouTube

PS. Must be video taped and posted to youtube.

Frank

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Cobraboy,

Moca to La cumbre: 50 curves

I think you said that you ride with some amateur and professional riders? Tell them that if any of them can beat the time of "6:04" from the bottom (where the Nativa gas station sits) to the top (where the restaurant of La Cumbre stands) i will buy them drinks at the the top (La Cumbre Restaurant). There's 50 curves from bottom to top: Moca to La Cumbre: 6:04; Husaberg 550 vs Honda 450 - YouTube

PS. Must be video taped and posted to youtube.

Frank
Not even gonna try. Our #1 goal is to send guests home without a cast. A good rider doesn't take excessive risks, and that video shows multiple risks. They are VERY lucky. A motorcyclist taking risks puts innocent drivers at risk trying to avoid them.

There are over 230 curves from Moca to Yasica de Sabeneta, the road we call The Tail of the Iguana.

Here is La Cumbre to Yasica de Sabeneta in time-lapse:

[video=youtube;e9W3BMiz1WE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9W3BMiz1WE[/video]

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Great Video!

I wasn't suggesting that you try with your guests. I was only suggesting that if you have some proffessional/experienced riders in your group, maybe they wouldn't mind trying to beat the 6:04 time on their day off, when they have nothing else to do.

I certainly wouldn't recommend someone trying it whom is not "very" familiar with the road. This was more a challenge for the professionals in your group.

Frank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Cobraboy,

I just re-watched your video. is it my imagination, or are you guys hauling ass and moving very quickly?

Frank

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Great Video!

I wasn't suggesting that you try with your guests. I was only suggesting that if you have some proffessional/experienced riders in your group, maybe they wouldn't mind trying to beat the 6:04 time on their day off, when they have nothing else to do.

I certainly wouldn't recommend someone trying it whom is not "very" familiar with the road. This was more a challenge for the professionals in your group.

Frank

No offense Frank but I would not recommend anybody try to repeat what you guys did for the reason that this road is well traveled(my family is from Moca) and you guys were very careless to say the least. More than once in the video you guys are on the wrong side of the road going into blind corners and going too fast and not taking into account that Dominicans are notorious for passing on curves and pulling out into traffic without looking.

I'm not against having fun on a bike but this stretch of road is way too populated and traveled to do this. There are plenty of other areas in the country where one can be less cautious.

Furthermore, God forbid anybody tries this during one of the various holiday weekends as this road is a major thoroughfare of with many people drinking or drunk.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
No offense Frank but I would not recommend anybody try to repeat what you guys did for the reason that this road is well traveled(my family is from Moca) and you guys were very careless to say the least. More than once in the video you guys are on the wrong side of the road going into blind corners and going too fast and not taking into account that Dominicans are notorious for passing on curves and pulling out into traffic without looking.

I'm not against having fun on a bike but this stretch of road is way too populated and traveled to do this. There are plenty of other areas in the country where one can be less cautious.

Furthermore, God forbid anybody tries this during one of the various holiday weekends as this road is a major thoroughfare of with many people drinking or drunk.
Additionally, it is VERY common for Dominicans to cross the center line on blind left curves...

Last year, on the mountains just outside of Jimani, I took a blind right curve in the right rut...and a big yellow Caribe Tours came around the curve well in the middle of my lane. He missed me by 2 feet, but had I been in a car we would have collided and it was because of HIS driving...

We ride like my friend Daryl from WA, a two-time MC guest says: "Ride through corners like there will be a dead moose in your lane..."