Air rifle

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm looking to buy an air rifle to kill the doves behind my house that give my children allergic reactions. I went to a gun shop today and the guy told me that for an air rifle you need a permit. Can anyone confirm this? I thought I could just buy one and bring it home right away. Now I have to renew my residence first and then wait 30 days for the permit to buy a simple air rife...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes you do need a gun permit, which I think means you have to purchase another weapon first, even to own a BB gun in the DR.

I am not sure if you can have a license without having a firearm along with that license. So getting that air gun may be much more than you planned for. Hopefully you will get a legal clarification on that detail from DR1's lawyer.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
How good are you with a sling-shot?

A wrist rocket with ball-bearings or marbles works great. I'm out of practise but I used to be able to hit a seagull from 200 feet plus. My brother and I used to kill rats with them also ( Norwegian wharf rats- great big mothers)

eurodominican

Nov 19, 2005
com
VICTOR REY & ASOC. : Calle Independencia # 16, Santiago ( close to the monument ) Tel.: 809 582 1391 His brother sells air rifles also wihout a permit if you like and lives in the same street. Allthough the other options are not bad at all.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
A wrist rocket with ball-bearings or marbles works great. I'm out of practise but I used to be able to hit a seagull from 200 feet plus. My brother and I used to kill rats with them also ( Norwegian wharf rats- great big mothers)

I did this when I first arrived. I came with a wrist rocket and a bunch of ball-bearings. It took care of my 'problem' and didn't require a license! Those suckers fire shot REAL fast!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A cat will probably cause allergic reactions also (got 1 and maybe two hyper allergic boys), sling shot is a good idea (but actually as a boy I dreamed about having a air rifle but my folks never let me, so thought this would be a good justification..:D ).

I'm probably in Santiago on friday so I'll check out the mentioned possibility. Thanks a lot all!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The best hassle free, hypoallergenic reaction free sulution is to go to a sporting goods store and buy a small bow and arrow set. I'd use target arrows to disrupt the nest only, not kill the birds. Take the metal points off the arrow before firing. Once the nest is destroyed the doves will get the message and go elsewhere to nest.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
The best hassle free, hypoallergenic reaction free sulution is to go to a sporting goods store and buy a small bow and arrow set. I'd use target arrows to disrupt the nest only, not kill the birds. Take the metal points off the arrow before firing. Once the nest is destroyed the doves will get the message and go elsewhere to nest.

Good idea. You can also use a part of an old bed spring and replace the arrow head with that. It won't survive more than the first shot or so but since it is larger it will scatter the nest. The downside is that if it hits the bird it will also shatter its tiny bones.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I realise it is an old thread......
Did u manage in the end to find an air rifle???
What were the requirements ???
Thanks.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
How about a hand made potato canon? 2 1/2 inch pvc pipe 36" long and an increaser to 4" and a 4" cap, and a spark plug and a 9 volt battery with push button switch to send a spark. assemble it and stuff a potato bigger than 2 inches into the open end. Spray hair spray into the 4 " end put on cap and push the switch. That papa goes out fast!
You a closet "neck" Fish?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I realise it is an old thread......
Did u manage in the end to find an air rifle???
What were the requirements ???
Thanks.

No, never got it. I had the palm tree the doves were in 'killed' instead. Now the doves are in a palm tree in front of our house, but not causing allergic reactions anymore to our children.