Which HDTV should i buy?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Hi,

I'm trying to decide which HDTV to get in order to both enjoy football games and use my computer with the tv. both of these have HDMI inputs so that i can easily hook up a computer to it, however, i do not know anything about either TV's, Computer monitors, or come to think of it...just life in general.

Any suggestions about which tv to get would be much appreciated!:D

1.) http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-P2770...al-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1320891952&sr=1-1-catcorr

2.) Amazon.com: Haier L32D1120 32-Inch 720p LCD HDTV, Black: Electronics

Thanks, Frank

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I have Sharp and Samsung flat screens (46") and are happy with both of them. They are LED, not plasma. I have them in both houses and they seem to operate pretty well except the Sharp seems more sensitive to voltage surges and the like. I installed a $100 voltage regulator and that did the trick, tho.

Personally, last time I was at Pricesmart in Santiago I found prices of flat screens above 42" to be effectively the same price as if I bought one in the US and imported it. The 42" and smaller are still cheaper in the US (buy and ship), but larger is basically the same price-wise.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
What I dont understand is doesnt it work out the same "cost wise" if you just buy them at a store like Corripio?
After import taxes?

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What I dont understand is doesnt it work out the same "cost wise" if you just buy them at a store like Corripio?
After import taxes?

Not necessarily. All you can do is find what you want to buy, get a quote from a reliable importer who delivers guaranteed to your door, and see if buying local makes more sense.

Others have mentioned that a portion of the very high prices charged here is due to greed on the part of the store.

mikol

Jul 1, 2010
Taxes are normally 55%. I am importing a tv and a quote i got was of $950 to Santo Domingo for a 55" Panasonic. door to door.

Plasmas tend to have better black levels and more accurate colors. In the past they have been electricity hogs, but are now much more efficient.

The more expensive the tv you want (online) the more one tends to import. If all you want is a normal 42" lcd midlevel, you're better off buying here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Taxes are normally 55%. I am importing a tv and a quote i got was of $950 to Santo Domingo for a 55" Panasonic. door to door.

Plasmas tend to have better black levels and more accurate colors. In the past they have been electricity hogs, but are now much more efficient.

The more expensive the tv you want (online) the more one tends to import. If all you want is a normal 42" lcd midlevel, you're better off buying here.

That is correct and I will add another point. When I was quoted door to door prices, I was quoted on the SIZE of the TV alone. The price was not part of the quotation process.

mikol

Jul 1, 2010
That is correct and I will add another point. When I was quoted door to door prices, I was quoted on the SIZE of the TV alone. The price was not part of the quotation process.

This is why the pricier the tv, the more bang for buck on door to door.

I was ordering online and shipping to NY.

I ended up ordering to Jet Pack - receive it in a week.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hi,

I'm trying to decide which HDTV to get in order to both enjoy football games and use my computer with the tv. both of these have HDMI inputs so that i can easily hook up a computer to it, however, i do not know anything about either TV's, Computer monitors, or come to think of it...just life in general.

Any suggestions about which tv to get would be much appreciated!:D

1.) Amazon.com: Samsung P2770HD 27-Inch 1920x1080 5ms 16.7M LCD HDTV Monitor: Kindle Store

2.) Amazon.com: Haier L32D1120 32-Inch 720p LCD HDTV, Black: Electronics

Thanks, Frank

Customs? US$3,000 tax break for Dominicans starts Nov. 15

SD. The Customs Agency Thursday announced the traditional tax breaks for returning Dominicans, starting November 15 and until January 7.

?The Christmas facilities to benefit Dominican residents abroad in this occasion has been increased from 2,000 to 3,000 American dollars,? said Customs director Rafael Camilo.

He said the measure will take effect earlier this year, and will be applied to cover Christmas, New Year and the Day of the Epiphany.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...US3000-tax-break-for-Dominicans-starts-Nov-15

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Mikol is the $950 price for the tv and the shipping or just for the shipping/customs/door to door?
I was quoted from Miami and needed to give tv price.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you "ship" it to the DR,what happens when/if it "breaks"????
You "gonna" ship it back for repairs under the garentee?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
this works,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,buy a big TV 50,52,55, whatever, here in the states. keep the box. go buy another TV same size. bubble wrap the hell out of both TVs put them back in one box, they'll fit. then call your door to door shipper and pay the fare for one TV. even better if you can get to the bronx and take the box right to the shipper......................slip a 20 to the kid in the warehouse and tell him to be real careful with your TV...............