Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PASSPORT STOLEN- How to proceed

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PASSPORT STOLEN- How to proceed

Hello, My passport was stolen when our house was robbed a few weeks ago. I DO HAVE my drivers license. I am in Cabarete and will be here for approx. 6 more months. I called the Puerto Plata consulate- they said I would have to go to Santo Domingo. Somehow I can't believe this. Can I not go to the Puerto Plata consulate, prove my identity with my drivers license and then have the consulate send the info to Santo Domingo to be processed and sent back to Puerto Plata?? Santo Domingo is a long drive from here. thanks, tom

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom, did you report it stolen with the police? That is the first step, as you have to get an official paper from them to give to your consulate.

3. Likes latitude19 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Peter, Yes, I did report it stolen with the Santiago police and have papers from them.

Quote Originally Posted by belgiank View Post
    Tom, did you report it stolen with the police? That is the first step, as you have to get an official paper from them to give to your consulate.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The office in Puerto Plata would not be mistaken on this. If they said so, then you will have to go to Santo Domingo to get a new passport. And do make sure of what they require before you go there as in the police report, for example. Also ask how long it will take for you to get your passport.

6. Likes latitude19 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom your first step should be to report your passport stolen to the local authorities (police department) get a copy of the report and keep it in a safe place. This will provide you with written record of the lost among other benefits. You didn't say in which country your password was issued but if it s a US passport here is a link with pertinent info:
    Lost and Stolen U.S. Passports Abroad

Lost US passport replacement is handled ONLY in Santo Domingo because of the interview requirement to replace a US passport lost abroad.

Good luck with this process and get this done ASAP. Don't put if off untill the last minute before you need to travel. Remember Murphy's law...

NotLurking

8. Likes latitude19 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

When the replacement arrives you can arrange to pick it up at the Puerto Plata consulate. It is really not a bad bus ride to Santo Domingo but.... you need to make an appointment and they only do passport applications on Monday and Wednesays from 7:30AM- 10:00AM, so you would need to go to Santo Dmomingo the night before. See this link to make an appointment, Passports | Embassy of the United States Dominican Republic .
    BTW no special consideration is given unless you are a tourist with imminent travel or aayone with an illness.

10. Likes latitude19, puryear270 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I guess it would be ok to walk around with a copy of your passport and leave the original locked up?

Moderator DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep my passport (original) in my safe and I used to carry a photocopy; now instead Ihave had a miniature made and laminated in Sosua behind Bailey's in the office supply place - and anywhere I go that needs ID, this works and my original is safe.

13. Likes Bronxboy, latitude19 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my passport stolen, along with my luggage, in Honduras a couple of years ago. I had to go to the consulate in the capital, Tegulcigalpa, and present myself, which was all on had on me, except a debit card. I had to get a passport photo(the second try I got the right size) and pay a hundred bucks. I was interviewed and handed a temporary passport while I waited to get back home. It was good for 6 months. I had no photo ID, about 25 bucks, and a sad story. Wouldn't want to do it again, though.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if Ted still in charge over in the Puerto Plata Office? He is a nice guy and maybe can cut some red tape here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast