PASSPORT STOLEN- How to proceed

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hello, My passport was stolen when our house was robbed a few weeks ago. I DO HAVE my drivers license. I am in Cabarete and will be here for approx. 6 more months. I called the Puerto Plata consulate- they said I would have to go to Santo Domingo. Somehow I can't believe this. Can I not go to the Puerto Plata consulate, prove my identity with my drivers license and then have the consulate send the info to Santo Domingo to be processed and sent back to Puerto Plata?? Santo Domingo is a long drive from here. thanks, tom

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Tom, did you report it stolen with the police? That is the first step, as you have to get an official paper from them to give to your consulate.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hey Peter, Yes, I did report it stolen with the Santiago police and have papers from them.

Tom, did you report it stolen with the police? That is the first step, as you have to get an official paper from them to give to your consulate.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The office in Puerto Plata would not be mistaken on this. If they said so, then you will have to go to Santo Domingo to get a new passport. And do make sure of what they require before you go there as in the police report, for example. Also ask how long it will take for you to get your passport.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Tom your first step should be to report your passport stolen to the local authorities (police department) get a copy of the report and keep it in a safe place. This will provide you with written record of the lost among other benefits. You didn't say in which country your password was issued but if it s a US passport here is a link with pertinent info:
Lost and Stolen U.S. Passports Abroad

Lost US passport replacement is handled ONLY in Santo Domingo because of the interview requirement to replace a US passport lost abroad.

Good luck with this process and get this done ASAP. Don't put if off untill the last minute before you need to travel. Remember Murphy's law...

NotLurking

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
When the replacement arrives you can arrange to pick it up at the Puerto Plata consulate. It is really not a bad bus ride to Santo Domingo but.... you need to make an appointment and they only do passport applications on Monday and Wednesays from 7:30AM- 10:00AM, so you would need to go to Santo Dmomingo the night before. See this link to make an appointment, Passports | Embassy of the United States Dominican Republic .
BTW no special consideration is given unless you are a tourist with imminent travel or aayone with an illness.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
So I guess it would be ok to walk around with a copy of your passport and leave the original locked up?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I keep my passport (original) in my safe and I used to carry a photocopy; now instead Ihave had a miniature made and laminated in Sosua behind Bailey's in the office supply place - and anywhere I go that needs ID, this works and my original is safe.

topdeckgames

Oct 26, 2011
I had my passport stolen, along with my luggage, in Honduras a couple of years ago. I had to go to the consulate in the capital, Tegulcigalpa, and present myself, which was all on had on me, except a debit card. I had to get a passport photo(the second try I got the right size) and pay a hundred bucks. I was interviewed and handed a temporary passport while I waited to get back home. It was good for 6 months. I had no photo ID, about 25 bucks, and a sad story. Wouldn't want to do it again, though.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Does anyone know if Ted still in charge over in the Puerto Plata Office? He is a nice guy and maybe can cut some red tape here.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Ted still is in charge.
I am under the impression that the info you got is correct in that you have to apply at the Embassy.
This happened to us in Costa Rica a few years back.

Bob K

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I had my passport stolen, along with my luggage, in Honduras a couple of years ago. I had to go to the consulate in the capital, Tegulcigalpa, and present myself, which was all on had on me, except a debit card. I had to get a passport photo(the second try I got the right size) and pay a hundred bucks. I was interviewed and handed a temporary passport while I waited to get back home. It was good for 6 months. I had no photo ID, about 25 bucks, and a sad story. Wouldn't want to do it again, though.
The only way they will issue a temporary passport now is if there is a medical emergency requiring your immediate transportation or you are a tourist (not a resident) and have imminent travel plans. I guess if you are a resident they figure you can wait for the new passport. A sick relative at home is not an acceptable reason.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they said I would have to go to Santo Domingo. Somehow I can't believe this.

tom, i do not know where you're from but most new passports have tight security features that require digital fingerprints. i am pretty sure they have a fingerprint machines only in the main consulate/embassy in the capital. so do not whine, take a trip to SD as an opportunity to do some shopping and dining :)

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I had my passport stolen, along with about $20 grand worth of crap, from a ranch I own. I am American. I went to the US Embassy in Santo Domingo and in less than 4 hours I had a new passport good for 1 year. They moved pretty fast.

The other good news is that my "Lo Jack" built into some items stolen helped the Criminal Investigation Division of the Policia Nacional follow the crooks and we grabbed virtually all of them. Also got back a number of items. GPS rules!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
So I guess it would be ok to walk around with a copy of your passport and leave the original locked up?

Everybody told me so as well, but I know of 2 instances the copy was no good.

One happened to me personally. We went to STI for a shopping trip, and when we arrived there we discovered the whole qtm system was out. We could not withdraw money, neither could we pay in a store with our card. So I went to Banco Popular with my atm-card from them and a copy of my passport. No go... they needed to see the real passport.

A second one happened to friends in Sosua with Amet. They did not accept the copy either and they ended up with a fine of 1,500 rds

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hey, I am from Sturgeon Bay, WI, located in Door County, a popular tourist destination for those from Chicago and the rest of the Midwest. I have a XC ski area, Snowkraft, there. Thanks everyone for all the help. Just as DV8 said, that I have to go will use the opportunity to see Santo Domingo: the jardines botanicos, some museums, and sure, a bit of shopping- but more for Rosario than me I'd guess!!

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I needed to cash a large check at Banco Popular - not having an account there but the check was written on that bank - and they took my miniature passport copy for ID, no problem.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
And the best post is by, ....BELMONT. Just made my appointment and that link saved me some time- thanks. It can be xtremely difficult at times finding info on a gov't site!!! Like DV8 said, we'll make a trip of it.