cute chihuahua needs a new home

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
My friend is giving up her chihuahua. She lives in Punta Cana. The dog is a barker and she doesn't know how to teach her not to bark. She is planning on sending the dog to a farm, but I thought I would put a note on here first to see if anyone wants her. She is very cute, but is a barker and doesn't seem too friendly with other dogs. Anyone want her, or have any suggestions of a good place she can take her? I already have a dog, and don't have the time for another...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
My friend is giving up her chihuahua. She lives in Punta Cana. The dog is a barker and she doesn't know how to teach her not to bark. She is planning on sending the dog to a farm, but I thought I would put a note on here first to see if anyone wants her. She is very cute, but is a barker and doesn't seem too friendly with other dogs. Anyone want her, or have any suggestions of a good place she can take her? I already have a dog, and don't have the time for another...

People will want photos no matter what. Tell her to hang in there, something will turn up, and some chi's are 'just born to bark'. (there's a Lady GAGA song in there)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Yes, they can be taught not to bark...until a certain age. To the OP : does your friend ever considered an anti bark collar? The anti bark collars of today are very refined. They tune in on that particular bark of the dog who is wearing the collar (old models could pick up barks from other dogs and go off), they have different levels of settings going from beep warning to light and heavier 'shocks' but the most important thing is that the new collars will reward the dog by resetting to a lower volume if the dog does not bark for lets say a minute. They are very efficient. I have always one in the house for younger dogs who tend to 'overdo' their job in all their enthousiasm, a few day's with an anti-bark collar and they are just fine in tune again.
Check this out No-Bark Collars - Innotek? Brand Official Website

Acira

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I'm absolutely against collar shock training, there is too much evidence showing horrific results, dogs being over shocked, the shocks being very painful, confusion and counterproductive results etc. I think putting trust in an electrical gadget to train your loved pet is simply wrong. I know we will disagree on this Acira as you obviously do (I am surprised you shock your dogs) and so no need to start a debate on it, but I've seen so much evidence over the years pointing to these things being counter productive and cruel, I could never consider it, and I think others should look beyond the initial ideas and advertising before inflicting shocks to their pets. Learn more harmonious training methods is my advice.
Like I said, no point in debating this one Acira, you will never turn my opinion on this, but that's me.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I'm absolutely against collar shock training, there is too much evidence showing horrific results, dogs being over shocked, the shocks being very painful, confusion and counterproductive results etc. I think putting trust in an electrical gadget to train your loved pet is simply wrong. I know we will disagree on this Acira as you obviously do (I am surprised you shock your dogs) and so no need to start a debate on it, but I've seen so much evidence over the years pointing to these things being counter productive and cruel, I could never consider it, and I think others should look beyond the initial ideas and advertising before inflicting shocks to their pets. Learn more harmonious training methods is my advice.
Like I said, no point in debating this one Acira, you will never turn my opinion on this, but that's me.

Fine by me. I was just offering the OP another option instead of choosing to give away a lovely pet.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have 3 Chiguaguas,you wanna hear from "BARK"!
They are great watch dogs.They wake up the "Junk Yard Dogs",who scare the Dominicans!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I got a Lentek Bark Free (ordered on Ebay for US$20) a couple of months ago when I moved into my new apartment. My Rottie would growl and often bark (loudly) at almost anyone that went by our apartment and my Chihuahua would go nuts barking almost all day long. The maintenance guy even told me he was worried he'd hurt himself from barking so much. I installed the Bark Free by the patio door and everytime it detects a bark (or loud noise unfortunately), it emits a ultrasonic beep that doesn't seem to bother them but does catch their attention and gets them to stop barking. Now, once in a while they'll bark once and that's it. I was really surprised that it actually worked that well and although it probably doesn't work for all dogs, it certainly did the trick for mine! Now I only leave it on when I'm not there because they've improved so much they almost never bark when I'm at home.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Many of our neighbours in Punta Cana have yappy chihuahuas but the ones that bark the most are the ones that are left alone for hours on end inside the apartments or locked out on the balconies. The dogs bark hysterically for hours on end to the point that, like KateP's maintenance guy, I worry that they might self-destruct. It's a huge nuisance for the neighbours and the owners seem oblivious as it happens when they're out.

It's a combination of distress at being locked up and pent-up energy: many of these dogs are never taken out for walks as far as I can see. Just left to sh!t on the balconies which is not nice for the neighbours either.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Sad for some dogs to hear that Chiri. Dogs, even the smallest ones need to walk and run. Without any mental and physical stimulation its no wonder they haul away.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
...It's a combination of distress at being locked up and pent-up energy: many of these dogs are never taken out for walks as far as I can see. Just left to sh!t on the balconies which is not nice for the neighbours either.

Half or more of the dogs in my neighborhood never get walkies.

You can hear their anguish in their barking, especially at night.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have 3 Chiguaguas,you wanna hear from "BARK"!
They are great watch dogs.They wake up the "Junk Yard Dogs",who scare the Dominicans!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

You are obviously not suffering any ill effects from your shock treatments.

You seem almost normal !

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
Well I don't know too much about what she does with it during the day. I don't want to get involved. I don't necessarily agree with
How some people treat their dogs, but I really can only worry about mine and how she is taken care of. I honestly don't think they want to put in the time and effort of training or using a bark collar or anything. The novelty of having a dog seems to have worn off. Its sad, and I can't say that I agree with it, but I am just posting to see if anyone is interested. I will have pictures soon.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Chi's have the heart of a lion and are great watch dogs so yes, they are barkers and if you let them do that, they will bark and bark and bark and that is fine if you need them to do that.
If you have a chi living in a condo amongst a lot of other people and that one is barking continiously, you have a problem for sure.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
STOP INSULTING ME "WW"!
How dare you call me "Normal",or even "Almost Normal"! I have a "Rep" on DR1 to protect!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccc