Time to get some dental work; looking for advice

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Well it's time to get some dental work done. Living in the Santo Domingo area. My ex visited a few weeks ago, while I had my daughter who is 13 for the weekend. She tells me that it is now time for our daughter to get braces put on. I wasn't surprised as my two step daughters had their braces put on when they were about the same age. She asked if I knew a place to get the work done, I didn't but I remembered that a friend had been down a couple of months earlier, and raved about the work he had done at Ameridentes. located in the shopping center at Tiradentes and 27 de Febrero. At the time his recommendation was the only one, I had, (he says he got work that would have cost about $7,000 US for about $2,500 or so, and that the dentist were all US trained) so we called them and had to set up an appointment two weeks later. Well Saturday is two weeks, so we are taking her in there to find out pricing etc. I also have some work that has to be done, but thought I would start my work with a simple cleaning haven't done one in quite a while and really need one.

I live in Gazcue and had always noticed a dentist (clinica odontologica); Dra. Priscilla Tojo seems like she specializes in Restuaration and Estectics. So since it was right around the corner from where I live I stopped in and spoke to her staff. I got a quote on my cleaning, and we discussed a price on the type of work I wanted for my daughter. I felt that both quotes was a bit high, but to be honest don't have anything to really compare it to except what my friend said he paid, for his work.

Another friend on this site raved about his dentist a Japanese dentist, can't recall right now who or where that dentist is located, will have to reach out to him again, for my definite information. I also noticed advertising on this site for Dental Cibao Spa in Santiago, but being that it is in Santiago, it really isn't in consideration.

Just curious if anyone else has any suggestions, or actual experience whether positive or negative with Ameridentes or any other Dentist in the Santo Domingo area, preferably in Distrito Nacional. I also have health insurance provided by Colonial, don't know if dental work is covered by them but will find out I guess if Ameridentes accepts their coverage on Saturday.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information provided.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Grupo Odontol?gico Central
Centro M?dico Bellas Artes
C/Mahatma Gandhi esq. Rodriguez Urdaneta
3er Nivel
Suite G-H

Located behind the Bellas Artes building

809 686 5414

Dr Alexis Reyes Mercado is doing restorative work for me and is very thorough.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Gracias I will give her a call.

She's a he. ;) Alexis' wife Marina Rodriguez de Reyes works in the office too.

Dr. Marina did some fillings and one root canal. She referred me to Dr. Eduardo Khouri in the same practice for another root canal with serious root complications. Dr. Alexis did a third root canal, the post work and has completed two zirconium crowns. He is completing the third crown next week.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to give you some advice. Seek an estomatologist trained at PUCMM Santiago. There are plenty of them in Santo Domingo. The estomatologists try to save your teeth rather than yank them out.
Generally speaking dental care here is much nicer and more economic than in Europe or the US>>>>

HB

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
The only advice I can give you is to not shop 'by clinic' but 'by dentist'. For example when I was looking at amerident, my neighbours gave me different results. Luckily one of my neighbours is a dentist, and she explained basically the range of dentists here is hit miss. Some are as good if not better than the States and much cheaper, but they will be relatively more expensive than their UASD trained basic dentists here - and the same 2 could be working in the same office next to each other.

One good test is to always figure out how many other dentists visit that dentist...