2 Canadians drowned on beach in Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
From what I have heard it was outside El Magnifico where there is a evil rip current. It was 2 days ago.

I have heard this as well, but not found a report in any news here. This is a danger part and not for swimming.
Years before there had been a big warning sign, on the end of the small street on the left side from supermarket Yanet. The sign was placed in the sand. Because of flooding this sign was broken and i didn't see a new one.
I had been asking oficials in Cabarete and was told that thay will place another one , but .....

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
This happened directly in front of Magnifico. a side story to this is that William O had just picked up two hotel guests (husband & wife) from the airport and brought them back to his hotel that sits next to Magnifico. he brought them back to to his hotel and told them to go down to the beach to check the beautiful beach before the sun went down. meanwhile, he and his wife were at the hotel when the wife came running back to the hotel to report a naked man washed up on the beach in front of their hotel (Magnifico and William's hotel sits next to each other). a crowd was starting to crowd around the body. the man was naked but had a gold necklace on around his neck. William stayed next to the body until the police got there. afterwards he came down to the bar and told us the story. He was pretty shocked about both seeing a naked body washed up on the beach and standing guard next to it until the police arrived--in order to make sure no one stole the necklace.

This happened on tuesday because i was at work when he came in and told us.
Frank

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Two Canadians Drowned in Cabarete

There was a brief news report here in Toronto of two Canadians drowning off Cabarete. Just their ages were given: early 60s. Strong currents were the problem. Any more information on who drowned or where they were from?

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I HELPED SAVE A DOMINCAN TEENAGE THERE LAST year .this is known to locals as adangerous spot for undertow .there is a specific part of Cabaretes beach just east of the main Bay of Cabarete for a half a mile that MUY PELIGROSO (DANGEROUS) iT SHOULD HAVE A COUPLE OF SIGNS TO OUTLINE THIS IN SEVERAL LANGUAGES .HOWEVER signs in central Cabarete about use of beach have more of a priority!!!! FORTUNATELY i was able to help save this girls life .If her sister had not run for her life to get me the girl would have drowned .I was blessed to be at the right spot at the right time .

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
I HELPED SAVE A DOMINCAN TEENAGE THERE LAST year .this is known to locals as adangerous spot for undertow .there is a specific part of Cabaretes beach just east of the main Bay of Cabarete for a half a mile that MUY PELIGROSO (DANGEROUS) iT SHOULD HAVE A COUPLE OF SIGNS TO OUTLINE THIS IN SEVERAL LANGUAGES .HOWEVER signs in central Cabarete about use of beach have more of a priority!!!! FORTUNATELY i was able to help save this girls life .If her sister had not run for her life to get me the girl would have drowned .I was blessed to be at the right spot at the right time .

Years before there had been a big warning sign, on the end of the small street on the left side from supermarket Yanet. The sign was placed in the sand. Because of flooding this sign was broken.
I had been asking oficials in Cabarete and was told that thay will place another one , but .....

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
As a person who has lived his whole life living within sight of the ocean, anybody who swims in the surf on an unguarded beach (no trained life guard) is a fool. It is never the locals who don't respect the ocean, it is always the tourists. Signs will remind those with a respect for the ocean, but will be ignored by the tourist who overestimates his abilities.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I have never seen a lifeguard on a beach in the DR.
The one advantage of some of the AI's. Not the traditional chair-sitting lifeguard as in the US, but fulltime beach staff that are physically capable of making a save and have access to necessary rescue equipment.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Years before there had been a big warning sign, on the end of the small street on the left side from supermarket Yanet. The sign was placed in the sand. Because of flooding this sign was broken.

Maybe a Cabarete resident could speak to the owner of Janets/Yanets and start a collection for a sign to be put back there, I'm sure most DR1'ers in Sosua and Cabarete would be only to pleased to give to such a good cause.

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
Maybe a Cabarete resident could speak to the owner of Janets/Yanets and start a collection for a sign to be put back there, I'm sure most DR1'ers in Sosua and Cabarete would be only to pleased to give to such a good cause.

Well, I know a guy that owns a hotel right there (not Magnifico) that actually uses the proximity of his hotel to that ?swimming beach? as a marketing opportunity over other hotels in the area.

Here is a quote from one of his ?guests? reciting some of his script on Trip Advisor from just last May (there have been claims from former guests there are discounts to write good reviews, hitting on certain themes, along with refunds to settle threats of lawsuit after a bad experience if they promise not to write a bad review) :

?I loved the extreme proximity to a secluded swimming area as well as the option to walk five minutes along the shore to reach the main beach?

I?m thinking he may not be too excited to contribute to the sign collection project.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
“I loved the extreme proximity to a secluded swimming area as well as the option to walk five minutes along the shore to reach the main beach”

I’m thinking he may not be too excited to contribute to the sign collection project.

Well, maybe he will. If he doesn't want to contribute, there are many that will take his place. Imagine if the drowned pair were your friends, worse still your family.
If someone in Cabarete could pop-in to Janets and see if they'll allow a collection box for this worthwhile cause we could have a couple of warning signs near the danger area before Christmas.
I don't live in Cabarete but I'd be happy to make the trip so I could contribute.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Simplest solution would be that hotels near the beach take care of the signing. It is in their best interest.
If they do not want to do it then for sure they know some people within the village council or even the mayor and go and plea there for the signs.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Simplest solution would be that hotels near the beach take care of the signing. It is in their best interest.
If they do not want to do it then for sure they know some people within the village council or even the mayor and go and plea there for the signs.

I just am wondering that this hotels didn't do this signing since the old big sign was broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.