Importing to the Dominican Republic

David Perez

Nov 20, 2011
Hello to all,

I have a 1995 Honda Civic DX in the United States today and I wanted to know if the year would be a problem, it might be too old, etc. Is there any other cargo company out there that allows this type of transaction, because I'm very fond of this car and would hate to let it go. Thanks.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hi David, use the search button - you'll find out that a car has to be less than 5 years old, and you have to own it at least a year. The only exception is for a classic car, and forgive me for saying a '95 Civic doesn't fit that bill.

AE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
David,
AE meant to say that your is not a classic - yet.

Just bide your time and it may be possible to bring it in tax free at a later date.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
David,
AE meant to say that your is not a classic - yet.

Just bide your time and it may be possible to bring it in tax free at a later date.

Just what is the definition of a "classic" if you know? We have a highly modified Jeep that we really would love to bring here. Wouldn't even mind paying quite a bit to do it......but it's older......few miles, but that isn't important for these speciality vehicles.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't know the specifics but there is an association in Sto Domingo that assesses and vouches for such "classics".

Try one of the mudanzas, they advertise that they can do cars.
Mine is Awilda in NYC ... 718-505-9833, ask for Jessica.
They'll tell you if its feasible.

I'll be interested if it can be done - don't see why not, its just a matter of the importation tax.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I don't know the specifics but there is an association in Sto Domingo that assesses and vouches for such "classics".

Try one of the mudanzas, they advertise that they can do cars.
They'll tell you if its feasible.

I'll be interested if it can be done - don't see why not, its just a matter of the importation tax.

Thanks. I would like to find out more about the Association in SDQ that does that. Any advice on how to find out more about that?

Seems like there should be a way for non-standard autos and such.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008

Have seen your recommendations for Awilda before. I have come to the point where I want to set up account for online purchases like Amazon and other orders to be reshipped to me in the DR. So I called Jessica.

Surprised by their procedure: I don't need account first, to just have order sent to Awilda and include my phone number. Upon receipt, Awilda calls me and I then give them address in DR. Awilda will send to DR and I pay in cash when it arrives.

So is this your experience with them? Seems a little loose and what if we are not home when they call or attempt to deliver?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Have seen your recommendations for Awilda before. I have come to the point where I want to set up account for online purchases like Amazon and other orders to be reshipped to me in the DR. So I called Jessica.

Surprised by their procedure: I don't need account first, to just have order sent to Awilda and include my phone number. Upon receipt, Awilda calls me and I then give them address in DR. Awilda will send to DR and I pay in cash when it arrives.

So is this your experience with them? Seems a little loose and what if we are not home when they call or attempt to deliver?

Basically, thats it.
Jessica will look at it and price it and ship it, the driver will collect from you the agreed amount.

I usually pay first if I xcan get a check to them.

They ship before the check even arrives b/c they have you goods now and you won't get them until you pay.

I have NEVER had a problem. Everything arrives in 3 weeks usually.

If you give them a local number, I'm sure they'll call before delivery. If not, they have an office in Santiago.

I wouldn't worry.