How to / Can I get Local 3G Internet on Samsung Captivate (AT&T's Samsung Galaxy S)?

SowahAkai

Jan 20, 2011
How to / Can I get Local 3G Internet on Samsung Captivate (AT&T's Samsung Galaxy S)?

Hi forum members. I came to the DR with my locked Samsung Captivate (AT&T Samsung Galaxy S) and purchased a cheap phone and Orange SIM to get a local number. This is the first of a two step moving process for me; so, I thought it best to unlock the Captivate so that I can use it locally and access all of its features. For example, I use my phone to make SIP based international VoIP calls, check email, pay bills, and browse the web. After fighting with the phone for a couple of days to get the unlock code, a call to AT&T solved that problem. BTW the phone is also rooted. Among other features the Samsung Captivate can serve as a USB or WiFi modem so that I can Tether my phone to my computer / laptop. Back home, I used it on the road to provide internet from AT&T's 3G network and WiFi hotspots when available.

Now here are my questions:
Is there a prepaid plan that provides access to a 3G cellular network, provides data and telephone minutes with good nationwide coverage? I would like access to a 3G cellular network and internet on my phone without having to buy an internet card. Right now I have an Edge network compatible SIM. An Orange Cellular representative told me I have a "normal" SIM. So, I guess I will have to purchase a 3G enabled SIM. Also, since the Samsung Captivate is a USB/WiFi modem, would I be able to tether my phone to my computer via USB or use its Mobile AP WiFi feature to provide internet access to my laptop? If so, is there an additional fee/ charge for that feature? And if different local cellular carriers offer 3G and internet with tethering, which one would you recommend and why? I am a heavy data user. Any help would be appreciated.

Mr.smith

Mar 8, 2011
Claro has prepaid that allow you to access 3G, but I ended up going back to buy more minutes the next day. So not recommended. The sales reps will always tell you that you can only get internet with your Blackberry, but that's simply not true. Sign up for a monthly plan with Blackberry social. Then when you get home put the sim in your galaxy phone. I have the galaxy S2 and my phone instantly connected to the 3G network. Yes you can tether. The carrier has no way of knowing you are using your phone as a hotspot. I remember AT&T got mad when I told them I use my phone as a modem. Oh well. That's the beauty of getting an unlocked phone from overseas. The carrier has no control over how you use it. Yours is rooted so you shouldn't have any problems.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Go to a decent orange office. it has nothing to do with your sim card. You pay orange a monthly fee for using the 3G, plus whatever amount of minutes you want per month to call.

Keep in mind that it is easy to get a prepaid plan with orange, but upgrading it is a pain in the ass.

They will require you to pay a 1 month or 2 month deposit (once again depending on the office you are visiting)

Stay away from Claro. They are ladrones... a lot of promises but that is it. Orange here, although far from perfect, is a lot more consumer-friendly

Mr.smith

Mar 8, 2011
Which city/town are you in belgiank? If you're in Santiago could you tell me where a descent one is? The only reason I went with claro is because I was getting nowhere with orange. They kept feeding me that "only on blackberries" lie.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I do not know anything about the phones. May be AZB can help you with that. But with the plan I am happy with Banda Ancha - Claro. With this plan you can tether internet with your phone to your laptop. You can tell them that you have the equipment and do not need the dongle. So that you can get the pre-paid plan. You will save around 2000 pesos.

`

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
So what can I do with a DroidX here?

it's a Verizon DroidX that I don't want to use in USA anymore. I have heard that I can get it unlocked by someone in DR for a small fee. And then could I use it's 3G capabilities somehow as a hotspot or even as a smartphone, without paying over US$100/month like I am doing with my Claro iPhone now (going out of 18 month contract)?

So my questions are:
1: will this work? and if yes, how??
2: where near Cabarete can I get the DroidX unlocked and how much will that cost approx?
3: could I do anything with the iPhone 3 after it goes out of contract with Claro? Like unlock and do a similar thing?

Thank you to any techies that can help!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
it's a Verizon DroidX that I don't want to use in USA anymore. I have heard that I can get it unlocked by someone in DR for a small fee. And then could I use it's 3G capabilities somehow as a hotspot or even as a smartphone, without paying over US$100/month like I am doing with my Claro iPhone now (going out of 18 month contract)?

So my questions are:
1: will this work? and if yes, how??
2: where near Cabarete can I get the DroidX unlocked and how much will that cost approx?
3: could I do anything with the iPhone 3 after it goes out of contract with Claro? Like unlock and do a similar thing?

Thank you to any techies that can help!

If you want to go to Puerto Plata there is a phone store across from the large Police station just entering the town. I am not sure of the name, but the owner is a fat Dominican guy from NY that can unlock anything you give him for a fair price. He can set you up with what you need also. I know he works with Claro but this guy knows about all companies and what you can do.

A closer option is a place on the main hwy heading towards PP just past the light where Caribe Tours is in Charamicos. The name is Copy Copy, it is a green building on your right. Frank, the owner fix's all the cell phones for Claro and other companies there. I am not sure if he unlocks phones though. But you can stop by and ask him, as he is near your area. He only speaks Spanish.

But I would go with the first one.

Last edited:

SowahAkai

Jan 20, 2011
Claro has prepaid that allow you to access 3G, but I ended up going back to buy more minutes the next day. So not recommended. The sales reps will always tell you that you can only get internet with your Blackberry, but that's simply not true. Sign up for a monthly plan with Blackberry social. Then when you get home put the sim in your galaxy phone. I have the galaxy S2 and my phone instantly connected to the 3G network. Yes you can tether. The carrier has no way of knowing you are using your phone as a hotspot. I remember AT&T got mad when I told them I use my phone as a modem. Oh well. That's the beauty of getting an unlocked phone from overseas. The carrier has no control over how you use it. Yours is rooted so you shouldn't have any problems.

Thank you for your response. Does the Blackberry Social require that I come with or purchase a Blackberry phone?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The DROID X is CDMA, and can not be used for data in DR, only for calling, I am under the impression only GSM phones can be used for data in DR???

SowahAkai

Jan 20, 2011
Which city/town are you in belgiank? If you're in Santiago could you tell me where a descent one is? The only reason I went with claro is because I was getting nowhere with orange. They kept feeding me that "only on blackberries" lie.

I am in Santiago too.

SowahAkai

Jan 20, 2011
I do not know anything about the phones. May be AZB can help you with that. But with the plan I am happy with Banda Ancha - Claro. With this plan you can tether internet with your phone to your laptop. You can tell them that you have the equipment and do not need the dongle. So that you can get the pre-paid plan. You will save around 2000 pesos.

`

I will check out Claro and Orange. Is coverage pretty much the same for both companies? Just need to find a "good office" in Santiago.