POP Duty Free

penboy

Sep 4, 2011
Is there much choice of duty free cigarettes and spirits in POP airport? I'm after Benson and Hedges cigs for a neighbour back home. Found some in supermarket in Sosua but they cost 1,700 pesos for 200, seems a bit expensive. Any advice?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Check out super super in sosua, or janets in Cabarete. The duty free in POP is ridiculously expensive. Marlboro is 50% more expensive in the airport than it is in the local stores

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Check out super super in sosua, or janets in Cabarete. The duty free in POP is ridiculously expensive. Marlboro is 50% more expensive in the airport than it is in the local stores

This is spot on. You will pay more than double what you would pay anywhere else in the DR if you buy at the Duty Free. See our own Eddy in Super Super before you leave and save big.

penboy

Sep 4, 2011
This is spot on. You will pay more than double what you would pay anywhere else in the DR if you buy at the Duty Free. See our own Eddy in Super Super before you leave and save big.

Where is Super Super?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
if you are at pedro clisante... and you have cafe cubano on your right... continue straight, pass the crossing, and continue for another 200 yards towards Banco Santa Cruz... you will see Super Super on your left side.

penboy

Sep 4, 2011
Ah right thanks. Was in there this afternoon, loads of Marlboro cigarettes there. Thanks for help folks.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Duty FREE is a real scam when you can buy in a supermercadao.

I was in Samana recently and bout Macoris 8 year old rum for $7.55 a bottle and in the Duty FREE it was $20US
It is only a scam or silly if you are buying Dominican produced products in the DR. The local price for a Dominican produced rum will certainly be less than that same product bought at the Duty Free shop. On the other hand, an imported product which would be subject to import taxes will be more expensive locally than at the Duty Free. Example, Johnny Walker Black, 33.00 at POP Duty Free and 56.00 at Supermercado Meson. Grey Goose Vodka, 30.00 POP Duty Free, 61.00 local store.

penboy

Sep 4, 2011
Just had a brainwave!!! Would it be cheaper to buy cigs on the Thompson flight home, they are more likely to have the brand that my neighbour wants.

I will get a bottle of spitits/liquer for myself. Are there any local sweet, sickly liquers that I can try?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I will get a bottle of spitits/liquer for myself. Are there any local sweet, sickly liquers that I can try?

Ponche on offer in Janet's, Cabarete or you could get some Mamajuana and according to legend get benfits other than rotting teeth and a hangover!

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Duty FREE is a real scam when you can buy in a supermercadao.

I was in Samana recently and bout Macoris 8 year old rum for $7.55 a bottle and in the Duty FREE it was $20US

I buy Brugal Anejo all the time at the POP duty free, the one downstairs as you head to your departure gate not the ones upstairs in the gates... I pay $14 for 2 bottles and it's $12 for 2 bottles of the Carta Dorada variety...

penboy

Sep 4, 2011
Ponche on offer in Janet's, Cabarete or you could get some Mamajuana and according to legend get benfits other than rotting teeth and a hangover!

Do you drink them neat/on the rocks or mix it with something?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
mamajuama you drink straight. Our cleaning lady tried to mix it with some coke last week, and nearly lost her lunch. Apparently not a good idea.