Just a warning to stay away from the wavy beach. I broke my back bone...

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
You never know when **** will happen but still its better safe then sorry. So i want to warn you guys that waves in Sosua beach (where they made malecon) are evil. I was there with my kid and DH, we were enjoying the water the whole day, waves were a bit rough though, so when i decided to go back in water to wash off the sand before we will go home, wave came, knocked me off my feet, rolled me, smashed me against the shore, flipped me and dragged me against the sand on my face. The water was knee high where i was standing. I thought im going to die right there. Mi esposo dragged me out the water and rushed me to CMC because i could not move and all my face was bleeding. Its other story that they did nothing in that darn clinic to really help me and sent me home next day saying im fine.
My lips were ripped off my gums (they didnt put stitches), my lungs and stomach was full of sand, i could not turn my neck, my limbs were weak and i found out later i have broken my 2nd dorsal vertebra which gives me a lot of pain now, 2 months later after the accident. So better stay out of the water if you see waves...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Good advice Jessica but better is...stay away from the water with waves if you do not know how to handle them.
I had the same experience as you but on the beach at Kiosko. Big wave hits me in the back, tumble tumble, you don't know whats up and whats down and that is indeed just a few inches of water but boy, the water is powerful. I am luckely a real water rat so I kept my mouth closed, didn't panic and just let the wave let me tumble until the water redraw and stood up and walked away unharmed, just a bit dazzled and very lucky I didn't hit any rock.

Having second thoughts about trying kite surfing now but once I know how to take those waves, I should be fine.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Acira

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I wonder why there are no flags or something that will warn people that today is not a good day to enter waters... When i was in Bulgaria there were flags everywhere, changing colors letting people know if its safe today or not. And of course lifeguards making sure that no one enters water if flag is red.

The wave that hit me was unmanageable, i thought i know how to handle them but it was too strong. It lifted me up and dropped me on my back, then took me again and dragged me. It was impossible to keep the mouth shut or do anything because after hit i had black out and the drag was so hard that sand ripped off my lips from inside of my mouth.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have to agree that beaches, frequented by a lot of families, should have flags and life-guards. And those life-guards first of all should receive proper training (life-saving and medical training), receive a decent wage, and have the authority to stop people entering the water. Certainly a big beach like Sosua should also have the proper material for life-guards (boat, medical emergency kit, etc...).

Maybe someone who knows the mayor could bring this to her attention?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Agreed for Sosua beach but I should have known better on Kiosko beach myself so I left my proud there that day and only lost my precious ring...cannot watch Lord of the Rings right now :(

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
i started taking kite lessons and when i heard a guy came flying in the air right past another decent kiter and nearly capitated his head with a board .I decided the sport is a very potentially dangerous sport WHEN THERE ARE NO SAFETY GUARDS , ...I value my health much more now ... However if iwas 15 years younger i would say scr.w it and kite!!!!

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Sosua has had no proper direction for 30 years !!!! maybe this female mayor will eventually put it together .She has 6 years to!

I wonder why there are no flags or something that will warn people that today is not a good day to enter waters... When i was in Bulgaria there were flags everywhere, changing colors letting people know if its safe today or not. And of course lifeguards making sure that no one enters water if flag is red.

The wave that hit me was unmanageable, i thought i know how to handle them but it was too strong. It lifted me up and dropped me on my back, then took me again and dragged me. It was impossible to keep the mouth shut or do anything because after hit i had black out and the drag was so hard that sand ripped off my lips from inside of my mouth.

You need to take this up with the life guards at the monthly Life Guard meeting on Sosua Beach, Better life guards and Flags, Hope someone brings it up.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
There are parts, (especially where the over pass is down the road), that are sure to undress you, I have seen many a man and women loose their swimmers down there. I've always wondered where the warnings are, a child or weak swimmer would be battered in a flash, even drown if they panic. It is a strange tow as once offshore it is ok, just the first 20' of so, it can be brutal, then getting back in with some dignity can be funny, nipples, bums and willies all over the place.

jahman

Aug 6, 2008
It's good advice. The other important thing to remeber is that the conditions there change quite a lot fairly quickly. I spend time in that area and normally don't have any problems out in strong waves but one day in Cabarete the surf was really nuts and a wave that was only as high as my knees took me completely off my feet and pushed me almost up to the restaruants.
Get well soon.