The price of rice and sugar, documentary.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
No need for an account Shalena, just click on the free user arrow and then play on the screen, it might take a 20-30 seconds to start but once off you are off running.
Bloody good docu, very distressing about the plight, the kids are heart breaking, but I think I already knew that and choose not to think about it, maybe as well all do at times. A must see.

Half the adults with TB, ffs.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The Vicinis bring in the Haitians to work for them and the locals are p!ssed at this priest and accuse him of Haitianizing the D.R.
What a crazy world we live in.

I am surprised that the Vicinis feel comfortable being billionaires at the same time as their staff live like this.
Hopefully one day, one of the Vicini kids will have the same revelation that Mr Hartley had.

Anyway, this priest has balls.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Kept as slaves, paid in vouchers they can only use at the company store, guarded through the night, barbed wire keeping them in their dorms, moved around at night so they can not run away as they don't know where they are. It is shameful that there is so much foreign influence in DR and all this is common knowledge and nothing is being done to help these Haitian people live some sort of a life, this is aggressive slavery, not even a modern interpretation, gangmasters and abduction, disgraceful. One man has taken this fight on, he certainly is a god send, literally.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Watch here in youtube, not slowing or buffering hassles

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tp_EkCesIp8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now I know why some of the blacks from other countries hate the Dominicans...

In this video they are blaming the DR for the misery of the Haitians!

JJ

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Thank you for posting this documentary.

This video demonstrates how disgustingly racist the average Dominican really is. Fueled by a lack of education, and shameless self aggrandizing TV personalities (that consuelo tv woman is a dishonest and horrible person)... what's happening in this country is really no different than an apartheid arrangement.

The only way to change things for the better is to put economic pressure on the powers that be - start boycotting their products, increase international awareness of the slavery and exploitation.

Really sad.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Now I know why some of the blacks from other countries hate the Dominicans...

In this video they are blaming the DR for the misery of the Haitians!

JJ

Actually, I thought they were blaming the Vicini's.

Although, I wasn't clear why it's also the American's fault. The fact that the US government pays double the world price of sugar seems like a good thing that would benefit the sellers and the country. Unless they were suggesting if the American government would require decent working conditions, things may be better and some of the ridiculous profit could be filtered down to those that are in the field. (They really didn't explain that.)

Also quite obvious that owning media outlets helps keep your name out of the headlines.

And my other thought was how easily people can be manipulated into picking up a cause.

Certainly a complicated issue, but to get Paul Newman to narrate a documentary, you have to have some connections.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I didn't watch the whole film yesterday because I had to go to work....

After watching this documentary all I can say is... Father Christopher Hartley is one of the best man in the world, all those Dominicans against him and his humanitarian foundation should be very ashamed for what they are doing.
No one of those Dominican you see blaming the Haitian for taking their job or their land will go to work in the sugar plantation.

I apologize my self if something wrong I said against this poor people, they should helped in one or other way and never to be trait the way are in my country.

JJ

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I haven't been able to watch all of it but it is apparent this is an injustice and the priest is a brave person to address this.

I would like to say to just assume all Dominicans are racist and hate Haitians is incorrect given all the financial support and all the radio stations asking for help at the time. If one doesn't live here you would never know that. Also, as most should know the "racism" is really nationalism more than anything else.

Finally, if I were the Vicini's instead of fighting this priest they ought to confess their sins and change their ways so as to not rot in hell for all eternity. I also this is a good example as to why there needs to be a hell.

Last edited:

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I've never been to a Batey owned Vicini group but several times to the ones owned by the government during Pte. Balaguer regime in company of my aunt's husband who was encharged for the distribution of aids for Dona Emma Balaguer foundation "La Cruzada del Amor" and what I saw by this time it was a bit different than it's now.

Who sold the government owned sugar cane plantations?

JJ

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I didn't watch the whole film yesterday because I had to go to work....

After watching this documentary all I can say is... Father Christopher Hartley is one of the best man in the world, all those Dominicans against him and his humanitarian foundation should be very ashamed for what they are doing.
No one of those Dominican you see blaming the Haitian for taking their job or their land will go to work in the sugar plantation.

I apologize my self if something wrong I said against this poor people, they should helped in one or other way and never to be trait the way are in my country.

JJ

I agree, Father Christopher is a very brave soul. Without using the words "liberation theology" it seems very reminiscent of that era and Romero. It's encouraging that the church is standing behind him.

Now that you have watched the video, you are welcome to be hard on your fellow Dominicans:) and you clearly come across as being sympathetic to the Haitians.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Rubia the good thing about this video is that if take a look at the people who is been rude with their brothers are the lucky ones who were born of Haitian roots in DR and fortunately they was allowed to be registered in Junta Central electoral by Balaguer's time...

most Haitians are Balagueristas same like I'm...

Have to go to work.:mad:

JJ

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Wonderful documentary. I now understand what is going on a bit more clearly. I was under the impression that the Haitian cane cutters went home in the off season and were free to come and go as they pleased. This is modern day slavery. I dont blame the Dominicans who were paid to protest. Paying for this sort of behavior has a long history in the DR. Thanks for putting this film up.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I dont blame the Dominicans who were paid to protest. Paying for this sort of behavior has a long history in the DR.

Good point, explains some of the comments from the "man on the street". The TV show host, or whatever her title, was a little bit over the top on the hatred. (Unless she too had financial contributors encouraging her to do what she did.)

As a former Peace Corps Volunteer myself, I found the comments of the PC volunteer interesting. Per her own admission she was there to help relieve the day to day problems, while Father Chris took on the big "policy" problems. How many volunteers would ever have the knowledge and insight to uncover that big picture, let alone try to tackle it? Even volunteers are pawns to some extent, as their presence can be "proof" that problems are being addressed, while the real power structures are the problem--way beyond a volunteers ability or mandate. I think it'd be a good case study for volunteers.

I think its a really important documentary.