drinking water sosua cabarete

dom

Jun 1, 2011
can somebody tell me if the water in cabarete and sosua is drinkable, if it is not, is it possible to make a well, and in that case would that water have drinking quality ?

would it be possible to make a well at all in cabarete, considerin the prxomity to the ocean ?

Mar 2, 2008
can somebody tell me if the water in cabarete and sosua is drinkable, if it is not, is it possible to make a well, and in that case would that water have drinking quality ?

would it be possible to make a well at all in cabarete, considerin the prxomity to the ocean ?

I wouldn't drink any un-bottled water anywhere on the island. Sosua and Cabarete are not exceptions.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I had rented a house some time back in Sosua that had a well that the owner built. He said the water was good. I had it tested and it was worse than the tap water. Bottom line is use bottled water for drinking.

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
Cholera ???

You can drink any water your body can handle.
It might taste like s**t sometimes, but you won't die.

However you do not want to catch cholera do you ?

If you are able to post on the internet, you should be able to buy yourself potable water is it not?

A big plastic drum will cost you next to nothing and you will be safe.

Do not think cholera is just a flue !!!!:ninja:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
At 30 pesos for a five gallon bottle of water that is safe to drink, please don't take chances with other options.

Jan 17, 2009
where do you buy a 5 gallon bottle for 30 pesos?
Cristal, Planeta Azul and other brands cost 50-55 pesos.
Some People love to missinformed here.

Sorry, windeguy is not misinformed. That's the cost of a 5 gallon bottle at Janet's in Cabarete provided that you own the bottle.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sorry, windeguy is not misinformed. That's the cost of a 5 gallon bottle at Janet's in Cabarete provided that you own the bottle.

What do you mean 'own the bottle'? Are they refilling the bottle for you? I've seen the water trucks on my road, and the neighbors going out and getting their bottles refilled for [I think] 20 pesos.

Me, I'd rather pay 50-55 pesos for a sealed bottle of Cristal.

AE

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You take an empty one in and they give you a full one back. Sealed.

Yeah, that's what we do with Cristal..... And they're usually very fussy, they'll only accept a Cristal bottle. I just don't understand why it's 50-55 on south coast, and 30 on north coast. Odd, no?

AE

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
You can get the cheap stuff for 25 pesos or the expensive stuff for 55 pesos both on the south and north coasts.
You can buy the bottles for about 220 pesos from any supermarket.
I could not taste the difference.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The deposit for the actual bottle is anything between 160 and 200 rds. Any brand...

When you take your empty bottle back, you can buy a new one for anything between 25 and 35 rds (on the NC).

I usually get the Cristal here for 30 rds.

I just wish they would make those seals easier to open. In most cases the lip just brakes off.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
City market we get ours at 30 pesos as well (X-tra) with empty trade in.

Bob K

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can buy an empty 5 gallon plastic bottle in most of the large supermarkets like La Sirena for about 170 rd.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005

I pay 35 Pesos delivered, I have a rack that holds 18.
We go through about 12 a month
Thats in Gaspar Hernandez, Kid comes in a little hijet and fills the rack and takes the empties.
He was there yesterday,

He even rotates the older ones to the top.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Johnny, it is you that did not have the proper information

where do you buy a 5 gallon bottle for 30 pesos?
Cristal, Planeta Azul and other brands cost 50-55 pesos.
Some People love to missinformed here.

what kind of water? brand?

For those that need more information so they are not misinformed. Janet's in Cabarete sells Platena water. The first time you purchase water from them you pay approximately 150 pesos and then you own that bottle. You take that bottle back to them and exchange it for a sealed bottle for 30 pesos. If you need more information on how its done, just let me know.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
A friend of mine owns a house just up the road from Los Brazos on the Sabaneta - Moca highway and drinks well water.....his well is about 220 feet down and hasn't been sick in over 15yrs.....I guess it depends on where you are.....I have drank his water and didn't get sick, but in town don't drink tap water, only bottled water.....

Oh just a funny story..... Watched a guy on that sells bottled water filling his jugs up on the street in Cabarete from a hose and put the seal on the top and taped it on....

The big trucks that sell water, sell that water for cooking not for drinking......A lot of people won't use tap water for cooking, so they buy water from the truck strictly for cooking, and use bottled water for drinking, tap water for washing clothes and bathing....

donP

Dec 14, 2008
f?bricas de agua

A friend (...) drinks well water.....his well is about 220 feet down and hasn't been sick in over 15yrs.....I guess it depends on where you are....

Same here.
Our well is 290 ft deep. I - the fool on the hill :classic: - had the well drilled through the hill... :rolleyes:
No contaminating sources near by, but given the carst underground I would not bet on our water to free from bacteria.
We fill 'botellones' at the well outflow for our drinking water though, we believe in its freshness...

BTW, from time to time the authorities here take samples from the “f?bricas de agua”, many of them (names are seldom told) are later closed due to the lab results.
They then reopen a short time later and all is good....

donP