I need a urgent answer on law about documents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
My fiance wants a prenuptial agreement that was made without the clause that Maria and I asked for of equal division of the money we earned during the marriage in case of divorce destroyed and thrown out as well as cancelled. The agreement is also missing provisions for her child or future children.
Your lawyer Aileen Espinosa said that this is an official document that can only be canceled by the notary but not destroyed. A lawyer in Santiago told Maria that the contract can be destroyed if it is Maria's presence. Can the cancelled document be given to Maria? Can it be amended so it has the provisions we want in it?

Best regards,
Mark Meunier

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Maria and myself have pretty much lost confidence in this Lic. Espinosa and want to change to a different Atty. at G-A but I am not sure how to say this to Ms. Espinosa. The big issue is that Maria refuses to marry me while this incorrect document still exists. Further, the document says that all of her property belongs to me in the event of divorce. This is very wrong I think.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
This is your marriage! Call Guzman and have them change your attorney. You are paying for a service and you should be satisfied with that service.
I have lost confidence in them also as we were told that there was no law against Midwives in the DR, when in actuality there is.....You never can know...even with people with such a good reputation. I would find another lawyer, quickly. Stop dealing with G&A if they will not switch your lawyer. Period. Your future wife and your sense of well-being is what is important. Not Ms. Espinosa's potentially hurt feelings.

SHALENA

If you screw this marriage up with Maria, I will hunt you down like a dog! I like her!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Although many people on this site are very pro Guzman, I have had very good experience with Pellerano & Herrera Law Firm in SD. I have used them for both business and real estate matters. They are a firm of approximately 30 attorneys and handle all aspects of the law except criminal matters. Check out the executive summaries on their website, they are excellent reading. Pellerano & Herrera | Lawyers in Dominican Republic

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Its way to late to call them today but for now I CC'd the post to Fabio Guzman. If I was going to change law firms I would want to find one that is in Santiago.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I know this is a post for advise and not to bash, BUT!!! I just need to ask you what provisions are you liable to make for her daughter in the event of a divorce? You hold the golden ticket bro, so please don't do something you may regret down the road. That is not your child and never will be.

And please don't even consider entering a agreement on what you would have to pay for your FUTURE children. That just does not make sence when you don't even have children yet.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
marriage alone is a steep hill with the vast majority ending in divorce. When you find yourself in the hands of evil, despicable and disgusting blood sucking lawyers before the vows your chances of having a good marriage seem less than nil. Run while you still can.

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
...I have lost confidence in them also as we were told that there was no law against Midwives in the DR, when in actuality there is.....You never can know...even with people with such a good reputation.

Me too.

Everyone around here raves about this firm like it is a privilege to be represented by them. They claim to be ?professional? (by US standards). Um, not so. At least not from my experience. I have worked with lots of attorneys in the past (only one personal issue, but many interactions where I was involved professionally), and my experience would not be acceptable to clients in the US.

I was lucky enough to have an issue that required some legal work a few years ago. I packaged up EVERYTHING they could possibly need to provide sizing and estimates. I was more than willing to spend money on it, not seeking a special deal or anything (the wallet was wide open). And then I waited. And waited. I sent several emails. Waited like a week for any response at all. The first excuse was their email server was down. Then I waited more time, sending several ?why are you ignoring me? emails to the paralegal. Then I finally get another email that the attorney that was going to look at my stuff was on medical leave. Then there were more excuses (I don?t remember them all). More ignoring.

Finally, ?my? attorney said they couldn?t take the case because it was a ?criminal matter?. Apparently, if someone accuses you of libel in the DR it is a criminal charge, not something I expected, but they should have known that from the very first email I sent them where I laid out the situation.

So they refer me to another guy with the ?Guzman seal of approval? that does criminal work. I send him several emails, he responds to maybe one of them. He says he is a busy guy.

I was so disturbed that this was considered ?top notch? legal services in the DR that I decided the DR was probably not the place to have anything that required legal representation. I?m just glad it didn?t happen while I was there, in the midst of something that needed an immediate competent handling.

Sorry Robert. I know, the Guzman firm is a sacred cow here. Preparing for the slings and arrows (and probably a few dislikes). :)

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Me too.

Everyone around here raves about this firm like it is a privilege to be represented by them. They claim to be “professional” (by US standards). Um, not so. At least not from my experience. I have worked with lots of attorneys in the past (only one personal issue, but many interactions where I was involved professionally), and my experience would not be acceptable to clients in the US.

I was lucky enough to have an issue that required some legal work a few years ago. I packaged up EVERYTHING they could possibly need to provide sizing and estimates. I was more than willing to spend money on it, not seeking a special deal or anything (the wallet was wide open). And then I waited. And waited. I sent several emails. Waited like a week for any response at all. The first excuse was their email server was down. Then I waited more time, sending several “why are you ignoring me” emails to the paralegal. Then I finally get another email that the attorney that was going to look at my stuff was on medical leave. Then there were more excuses (I don’t remember them all). More ignoring.

Finally, “my” attorney said they couldn’t take the case because it was a “criminal matter”. Apparently, if someone accuses you of libel in the DR it is a criminal charge, not something I expected, but they should have known that from the very first email I sent them where I laid out the situation.

So they refer me to another guy with the “Guzman seal of approval” that does criminal work. I send him several emails, he responds to maybe one of them. He says he is a busy guy.

I was so disturbed that this was considered “top notch” legal services in the DR that I decided the DR was probably not the place to have anything that required legal representation. I’m just glad it didn’t happen while I was there, in the midst of something that needed an immediate competent handling.

Sorry Robert. I know, the Guzman firm is a sacred cow here. Preparing for the slings and arrows (and probably a few dislikes). :)

Sometimes you gotta keep it real. With my situation I just feel that its incompetence. I mean, come on....lawyers are supposed to know the law. Knowing that one little piece of info would've saved me a lot of steps in what I was doing preparing for my trip.
Same here with the emails and no answer, even PMs but hey, you know what? You live and you learn.

SHALENA

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I don't plan to add anything, just that anything she would receive would be accessible to her son also.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I don't plan to add anything, just that anything she would receive would be accessible to her son also.

Don't do it, anything that is her's is automatically her son. If you do what I think you'll do you may be liable to both alimony AND child support in case of a divorce. If I were you I'll call her bluff...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sounds like she is starting to "CONTROL" you a little early!
Most women here like to wait until AFTER the wedding.
My wife called it,"La Temporada de la TRAMPA"!...(The Time of the TRAP!!) :rolleyes:
You may still have time to make a run for the border!
I "see" too much talk about "Dinero" coming from her.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
But, in her defense, I wouldn't sign anything that says he gets my stuff either. And she is pushing it with asking for any provisions for her child from a previous relationship but asking about provisions for her future children with him is expected. Trying to get child support after the fact is a b*tch.

I say sit down with her, agree to take out the clause that you get her stuff (thats just stupid and if Ms. Espinosa wrote that, she needs some remedial classes). Agree to the provisions for your future children with her but nix anything for her current child.

If she demands provisions for her current child, well.......it was nice while it lasted.

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
And I must be on some good stuff because I do not remember being awake at 2am, let alone writing a post! Daaaaaaamn....

SHALENA

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Conflicting Legal Advice

A small town can't support one lawyer but it can support two very well. I oughtta know!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.