TY to the owner of a ruby Porche Cayenne in Cabarete

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Around 5 PM today, I was driving someone home, when right outside of Cabarete, just past Janet's, I passed the above mentioned car.

All of a sudden the young gringa driving this car decided, without reason whatsoever, to complete swerve from her side of the road to the other one.

In order to avoid an accident, I literally had to throw my car into a skid, which lasted at leat 50 yards, to then throw it into a reverse skid, to avoid a moto.

I hope for you, you were drunk, or ****ed out of your mind by your sankie.... otherwise there is no excuse for your driving.

You were just as bad as the worst Dominican drivers I have seen here...

Sorry.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have a Dominican sister-in-law who looks more like a gringa than I do....... you can't be sure just on looks!!

AE

miozio

May 23, 2009
This looks pretty much like a Russian girl/woman driving, I had similar situations back home with this kind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:alien:
Disgusting!!

[video=youtube;xIMn9cXE4Pk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIMn9cXE4Pk[/video]

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Actually, the sister-in-law I was referring to IS a blonde. Dark blonde. Naturally. Pure Dominican.

AE

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
AE, I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

To be honest, I was too busy controlling the skid and cursing her at the same time...

Mar 2, 2008
AE, I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

To be honest, I was too busy controlling the skid and cursing her at the same time...

I have found that many gringas and gringos become Dominicanized, after even a very short period of time here. Some, who consider themselves to be very proficient drivers in their native counties, adapt very quickly to the substandard level of driving that is required to survive on Dominican roads.

It is like a self-sustaining virus. Either one becomes infected by the virus or one becomes a part of it. Some of the worst drivers are those who have become Dominicanized.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I have found that often people come to the DR and rapidly discover the lack of rules of the road and enforcement of laws here. It sounds like a good thing but then THEY become the ones to be afraid of. North Americans, for example, are schooled in defensive driving which will get you killed in this country of offensive drivers.

Probably the creep in the overpriced car was a non-Dominican without skills in really driving but with substantial skills in drinking! We're glad you "surf" sideways well!

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
My experience is different when I visit DR (I don't get Dominicanized driving), I follow all the rules like I am driving in the states, but for some reason I get honked at when I stop at a red light, stop at a stop sign and let others pass at a 4 way intersection. Many motorcycles, cars and big rigs don't even have rear lights at night, I was thinking of taking a role of reflective tape next time I visit to put it on these vehicles.

I guess I went on a tangent, I bet that lady was programing her GPS and when she looked up she was just as surprise as to why this crazy nut was drifting in her lane.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
My experience is different when I visit DR (I don't get Dominicanized driving), I follow all the rules like I am driving in the states, but for some reason I get honked at when I stop at a red light, stop at a stop sign and let others pass at a 4 way intersection. Many motorcycles, cars and big rigs don't even have rear lights at night, I was thinking of taking a role of reflective tape next time I visit to put it on these vehicles.

I guess I went on a tangent, I bet that lady was programing her GPS and when she looked up she was just as surprise as to why this crazy nut was drifting in her lane.

You stop at a stop sign in the DR??? PARIGUAYO!!! lol jk. In the DR just slowing down and checking the corner will suffice, that's why you being honked. When in Rome....

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
I will not even go into the being dominican driver or being dominicanized, one should alway drive as per the norms and the official norms here, actually written down in an actual manual, are for the most part a duplicate of USA driving norms.

but instead of Dominicanized, we should say, "Dumber is as Dumber does"

g'luck

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Sorry, you were driving too fast.
A 50 yard skid (150') with a high coefficient of friction (good tires/road surface) would mean a speed of around 60mph. A continuing "reverse" skid would indicate an even higher speed.

Bad tires on a slick surface would be less, and less likely for any control...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have found that many gringas and gringos become Dominicanized, after even a very short period of time here. Some, who consider themselves to be very proficient drivers in their native counties, adapt very quickly to the substandard level of driving that is required to survive on Dominican roads.

It is like a self-sustaining virus. Either one becomes infected by the virus or one becomes a part of it. Some of the worst drivers are those who have become Dominicanized.

I think you're right about that. At the onset, Ienjoyed the lack of rules and had an attitude of "You think thats good?...Watch this move"

I have reformed and now drive 55mph, observe most of thr rulesof the road and get outof the way of los Dominicanos.

Live and let live.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
"Ruby Porsche Cheyenne"

I am always very careful when driving around luxury automobiles. My thinking is that it is either someone associated with the government, a less-than-legal-pharmaceuticals merchant, or one of the extremely wealthy. Any of the above drive as if they expect all others to drive around them. And the wives and girlfriends tend to be even worse. All I know is that if I collide with any of them, I will be at fault, no matter the circumstances of the accident. And if any of them are injured, my best plan of action would be to drive straight to the airport and get on the first plane out of the country.

If you really want to see poor driving and total chaos, go to Carol Morgan in the capital when parents are picking up their children.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is a method of driving here that works. It's a different form of "defensive driving" Dominicanized. We wrote an ebook about it, and while aimed at motorcycling it is equally applicable for driving an auto. Email me for a copy.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
HAHA,

Now that's funny!!! I've been to Carrol Morgan, and yes, you're absolutely correct!! i've seen cars come out of the parking lot sliding sideways as they check their hair-do in the mirror.

But, here, on the north coast, the Sosua International school doesn't fare a whole lot better...especailly when i have to go pick up my step-daughter. I personally like to come screaming into the front parking lot sideways, laying heavy on my horn, and shouting profanities at other parents, as i scope up my 7 year old off the pavement and continue serpinting out of the parking.

I guess you just acclimate to the dominican environment here after a while...

"Ruby Porsche Cheyenne"

I am always very careful when driving around luxury automobiles. My thinking is that it is either someone associated with the government, a less-than-legal-pharmaceuticals merchant, or one of the extremely wealthy. Any of the above drive as if they expect all others to drive around them. And the wives and girlfriends tend to be even worse. All I know is that if I collide with any of them, I will be at fault, no matter the circumstances of the accident. And if any of them are injured, my best plan of action would be to drive straight to the airport and get on the first plane out of the country.

If you really want to see poor driving and total chaos, go to Carol Morgan in the capital when parents are picking up their children.