Fernandez pins hopes on Arab ties

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
While there is a lot of money in the GCC it is not spend and blast the consequences as it used to be. I think that some development dollars might come to the DR from "Arab ties" - after all Thailand and Maylasia (or Bahrain closer to home) have been visited to death by the Arab populace and a new playground to visit would be fun; I do hope that Fernandez is not putting too many of his eggs in this basket. In casual conversation with a friend yesterday it was mentioned his Gulf based construction/design company is entering their third round of layoffs in the last two years and that he doesn't think the people laid off will be able to find jobs to replace the ones they are losing.

But if the Arabs come to the DR and start building it won't be too much of a culture shock. :bunny:
While reading the article linked below I was amazed at how similar I think the content would be if such an article were to be written about the DR. (for example on pg 4 when talking about the techs - just substitute Haiti for subcontinent)

"Fair enough, coming from the subcontinent, they may not be fully educated and they may not be able to speak the language, but in terms of whether it?s a DV dressing, the connection of pipes, whatever, they?ll do exactly what they?re told."

Lessons Learnt | ConstructionWeekOnline.com

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
What??? The Arabs have been in DR for ever... Who you thing are the owners of the business over there??? = Arabs and Spaniards.

JJ

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I am pretty sure the DR1 article was referencing the hopes of new money coming in from the gulf and the previous mention of Qatar investing in DR. Not talking about the long established Spanish and Lebanese families that have many many businesses and corporations for quite a few generations now in the DR.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I saw a documentary about workers from the subcontinent in the Gulf and was struck by the similarities.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Most of the "white & rich" Dominicans are from Arab descent (Coptic and Druzes Christian from Syria and Lebanon escaping pogroms in the Ottoman Empire, at the end of the 19th century, and very early 20th century... Muslims were persecuting those Christians so much that they had to pack up and leave... Within 2 generation they became the "owners" many Caribbean/Latino nations...)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Squat is pretty much right on! In the 1890s, the Ottoman Empire was not a nice place for Christian Arabs. Especially those in Lebanon. They traveled with Turkish (Ottoman) travel documents and so are known as Turcos in most of the DR. There must have been thousands who came here. On Thursday, at an activity in Santiago I greeted Serulle and Badu? in one embrace, and Hache and Yunen in another! They are all over the place!! But these are not the Arabs that the article is talking about....oh no...

Sooner is right. This is about major Arab money from the Gulf coming in here for tourism projects (like that photo that Pichardo put up the other day) and anything that will make money.

HB