Restaurant El Pilar in el Cortecito closed (one more ...)

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
I got shocked yesterday when walking to the beach I saw that restaurant El Pilar was closed and with an adverstisement on the door telling "se vende" (selling).
I really cannot understand how a business that started just 5 months ago has been closed.
It was a big, new, nice restaurant, with a big terrace, 3 big flat screens where you can watch sports events, etc
Some weeks ago I had a talk with one of the owners, and he was telling me that they wanted to be patient with this business, as much money was invested and they needed time to get benefits.

But after just 5 months, closed.

On more business in Bavaro going to hell even now that high season has started, this is sadly insane ....

As I said in another post, Bavaro is not moving forward unfortunately ... And looks like any medium-big investment is being done always in Punta Cana, never here ... :(

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There are two major problems in Bavaro for a restaurant to overcome. First one is the layout of the town itself. Anyone that has spent time here knows what I am talking about. It is like a large circle with no center. At least I see it that way.

The second and main obstacle is of course the AI's. Why should the tourists spend cash to eat and drink when it is free for them in the hotel? At least that is how the average tourist thinks. So basically the restaurant's that do survive here do it with mainly local business. And there is not enough of that to sustain all the restaurants that open, hence many close quckly even though they would be a success elsewhere in the DR.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I live in the area and would never call it a "town" - it's a sprawl. There are several focal points that are more urbanised: Friusa, El Cortecito, Los Corales, Ver?n - but there is no visible urban centre.

As in the previous thread about a business in B?varo closing down, so many people seem to open businesses on impulse, as if it just seemed like a cool idea at the time, without doing any market research or practical preparations. You just have to look at all the newly built empty malls in Ver?n and B?varo. Having said that this applies to the rest of the DR too.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Why would a tourist on a budget and in this global economy go out of the all included resort to spend money? They already paid alot of money on flight taxes and fees...

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
A family of 4 or 5 people will be looking for all included to save some money. You get there and relax because everything is there inside of the resort.

I like going out and spending on the local vendors but I can see the average family man not taking his family out of the AI

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
SKY, you are right, Bavaro is like a circle with no center. In fact if you just see that there is not even a green park or pedestrian walks along most parts of the main road, you get desperated, looks like it is not done for humans this place ...
Of course, being in an AI place it is really hard to make business, but on the other hand I know that many people comes too to rent an apartment instead of staying in an AI, so those are the real clients for all businesses in Bavaro. But of course they are not enough for making businesses keep alive ...
So now I throw a question, which place with beach you would recommend me to live, a place more warm for people, with businesses, green parks, pedestrian walks, etc???????
Cheers

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I think, (or hope might be a better word), that once the highway to S.D. is opened and the area becomes more easilly accessible to the wealthy and middle class residents in the capital, that there will be more people staying in the many, now empty, condos in the area. This should increase the customer base and help some of these businesses survive. I guess time will tell.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I live in the area and would never call it a "town" - it's a sprawl. There are several focal points that are more urbanised: Friusa, El Cortecito, Los Corales, Ver?n - but there is no visible urban centre.

As in the previous thread about a business in B?varo closing down, so many people seem to open businesses on impulse, as if it just seemed like a cool idea at the time, without doing any market research or practical preparations. You just have to look at all the newly built empty malls in Ver?n and B?varo. Having said that this applies to the rest of the DR too.

The owners of some of those empty malls dont care all that much if they stay empty. Especially when its laundering drug money.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I also want to add that tourism is growing in PC and over the next 5 to 10 years bavaro will be thriving. Big money will be spent for new developments like the 158million dollar park and american hotels even getting in the act now. Everyone going on vacation i know from canada are all asking about punta cana now!! Even my sister and family all want to go. Who cares if 3 businesses in the last few months have folded. Real Estate will boom again in Bavaro. Once the debt crisis starts to ease people will feel better and start lapping up beach and the chance to live close to the beach properties. Bavaro does however need much better urban planning and a real road system with a true center of town.