AA, strict with weight? How much have you checked?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I'm looking at the website and they say 23kg, can be checked, had luggage as much as you can fit into the cage at check in.
What is your experience with AA and checked luggage?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
They are going to weigh your luggage, and if you are in any way over the 50 lb limit, you are going to be paying. The first checked bag is free. The second costs $25. Overweight costs $100 each. If you have a choice, go with a second bag.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
They are going to weigh your luggage, and if you are in any way over the 50 lb limit, you are going to be paying. The first checked bag is free. The second costs $25. Overweight costs $100 each. If you have a choice, go with a second bag.

Thanks, that is quite mad. A standard charge if overweight of $100, but an entire second bag for $25? crazy policy, but I suppose it makes them cash.

Jan 17, 2009
The second bad is $30, not $25. It makes sense to charge $100 of overweight -- that'll be for just a few pounds over. Yet, if you were to buy another suitcase and par $30 for your second bag, you may still be out $100. No boxes at this time of the year.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
If your itinerary starts in Europe and ends in the Caribbean, as your previous threads tell us, it is that same as between the U.S. and the Caribbean. one 50lb bag free of charge (23Kg) and a second 50lb bag for $30. So of course you should bring two suitcases rather than one overweight bag.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
That's pretty strict. so if I am 23.5kg they will stick a charge on. I've never come across an airline that can be that strict a it is difficult for scales to be so Lb accurate. What is 23.5 on my scales might be 24 on the airport scales. But if you say so, sounds crazy to me, but so be it.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
They are strict. One time one of our bags was over and one under so we moved items between the two bags until they were both at 50. We also have taken clothes items out at the airports and worn them onto the plane. We also have thrown some things out at the airport. We also have bought cheap suitcases at flea markets or good will and just used them for the second suitcase. On our last trip we used wheel less suitcases that are very light. Then in Miami had them plastic wrapped.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
That's pretty strict. so if I am 23.5kg they will stick a charge on. I've never come across an airline that can be that strict a it is difficult for scales to be so Lb accurate. What is 23.5 on my scales might be 24 on the airport scales. But if you say so, sounds crazy to me, but so be it.

lol you've been living here too long, you're starting to sound like a dominican.

"oh c'mon, it's just 2 lbs over, it's just un chin!"

"es que no mi faulta, the scale is different at home, no mi faulta!"

haha!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
lol you've been living here too long, you're starting to sound like a dominican.

"oh c'mon, it's just 2 lbs over, it's just un chin!"

"es que no mi faulta, the scale is different at home, no mi faulta!"

haha!

Anastacio is ready to go back home.!!!!

Jan 9, 2004
Thanks, that is quite mad. A standard charge if overweight of $100, but an entire second bag for $25? crazy policy, but I suppose it makes them cash.

Don't worry you won't be charged an overweight fee...that is because they will not let the bag on the plane. This time of year there is an embargo on luggage, i.e. NO overweight, NO excess size, NO third bag....no matter how much you plead with them or offer to pay. Do yourself a favor and weigh your bag(s) prior to going to the airport and if you are at the limit, shed a couple items...just to be safe.

Once I weatched a returning Dominican with three bags at check-in. Her choice was, pick the two you want and somehow get rid of the third. Needless ro say, she was not very happy.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

edm7583

May 29, 2007
The holiday embargo on AA applies to SDQ, STI, and POP on the DR. A third price of luggage for a single passenger is not accepted. Boxes are not accepted during this time. Overweight luggage over 50lbs is accepted for a $100 fee but up to 70 lbs. Single pieces of luggage over 70lbs are not accepted during the embargo. (other times 71lbs-100lbs in a single piece is accepted for $200 overweight fee)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
All those "FEES",and now AA files for "Chapter 11" so they don't have to pay their creditors what they owe.
I have only two words to solve your baggage problems with "AA".
"Jet Blue"!
2 bags free,"free SNACKS"!
Cheaper fares too.
I swithched 3 years ago,Boston to SD.For 30 dollars more,I get a seat with more leg room than AA First Class,pre- boarding,and a pleasant flight crew.YOU NEVER see that on AA!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
POP AA staff ALL replaced.

My wife flew out of POP yesterday on AA.

ALL the ground staff had been fired. The people that she had known for 18 years are gone and so has that good relationship that made her check in's and upgrades easy has to start all over.

AA has outsourced the ground operations in POP to SwissPort.

I don't know if the AA plane crews have changed.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
All those "FEES",and now AA files for "Chapter 11" so they don't have to pay their creditors what they owe.
I have only two words to solve your baggage problems with "AA".
"Jet Blue"!
2 bags free,"free SNACKS"!
Cheaper fares too.
I swithched 3 years ago,Boston to SD.For 30 dollars more,I get a seat with more leg room than AA First Class,pre- boarding,and a pleasant flight crew.YOU NEVER see that on AA!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I felt that difference. Last month I came by Jet Blue from JFK to STI. I used to take AA regularly, because that is the option I will get when I booked joint ticket with Emirates. Really far better experience than AA this time.