COMPUTER Purchase US vs. Santo Domingo

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hey, In Santo Domingo. Am wanting to buy (2) 10" laptop computers for Spanish speakers in the price range of around 4-500 US. Am guessing a better value to buy in the US?? Or, with taxes, close to the same?? (I have nobody to carry them here on plane.) If around the same, WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE (Cheapest with good service) TO BUY IN SANTO DOMINGO??

Also, where is the best area to buy smart and stylish clothing for my fiancee?? Something nice, not super expensive or flashy. thanks, tom

---Recommendation of Nicolas de Ovando hotel was spot on. I LOVE this place!!! Reasonably close to the US consulate. You have not lived life until you have had to replace a stolen passport in a foreign country!! About 2 hours dutration, 2-3 weeks wait for passport to arrive where I am in Cabarete according to the embassy.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I bought the netbook through Amazon, and had it shipped through EPS. In the end this is still by far the cheapest solution as there are no custom taxes on computers, just the itbis. A 289 $ Asus ended up costing me 359$.

Count yourself lucky with your passport. We had to renew ours. It took us only about half an hour to do all the paperwork, to be informed then that we had to pay for them up front (contrary to the info they send us in an email). So it took us another brisk 40 minute walk in the Zona Colonial to find a cajero which actually worked and allowed us to withdraw 10,000 rds. It will take 6 to 8 weeks for our passports to be ready, and we have to collect them once again in SD.

Last edited:

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hey, Sorry. No- a smaller computer. Maybe more like 12.5 inches. I find Asus and HP to be good values- probably one of those. Nothing fancy. thanks

i assume when you say 10 in., you are talking about a netbook---is that correct? any brand? for your fiancee, many stores in plaza central and acropolis. (both on churchill)

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Ahhh- ok, then. I think I'll buy in the US. That is what I thought the answer would be. thanks peter