No Indian ID Law Being Proposed in the Dominican Republic

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
No Indian ID Law Being Proposed in the Dominican Republic

Dominicans of Taino heritage will no longer be able to indicate their ethnicity on their national ID card if a new electoral law goes into effect.
While there has been no published reaction by Tainos to this part of the law in the Dominican Republic, one prominent Taino activist in the United States is hoping to prevent it?s passage.
Electoral Reform Law 275-97 states that the colors citizens will have to choose from are mulatto, black and white and that these colors will designate their ethnicity, meaning that there will be no color assigned to the ethnicity of ?Indian?. In other words, no Indians.
The proposed reform will be discussed before being submitted for approval to the Congress according to various reports; the project was developed by the Central Electoral Board (CEB) of the Dominican Government and representatives of the Organization for American States (OAS) and was announced on the island on November 11.
Activist Jorge Estevez, a Taino from the Dominican Republic who works with the National Museum of the American Indian in New York City, referred to the announcement as ?disturbing?.
?There is no telling how this will complicate racial problems already existent on the island,? Estevez asserted in a written response to the law. ?Crazy as it may sound this appears as an organized effort to force Dominicans to identify with just two racial components of a people that are one of the most genetically diverse populations in the world. To say Dominicans are mulatto is simplistic and absurd at best. The realities of the complexities of Dominican racial make-up and identity must be viewed from individual perspectives and not, collectively. This is not to imply that the ?indio? color scheme and all its ranges, indio claro, indio oscuro et is not without absurdity as well.?
The noted activist stated that he was glad that there was some official recognition of the country?s African heritage, but that it should not be at the expense of accepting their indigenous identity as well.
?The problem I see is that this has been traditionally our only and closest connection to Indian identity,? Estevez said regarding the official identification cards.
?Many Dominicans have traditionally identified with the islands first inhabitants, the Taino. Despite the fact that we have been told over the last 450 years that the Indians all died out and we are taught this in school, Dominicans insist on believing that we do in fact have Indian ancestry. When Dominicans express this sentiment, we are automatically branded as racist and anti-Haitian etc.,? Estevez stated.
While Estevez noted that he and other Dominican Taino activists were trying to fight against the law on the island, one stateside organization, the United Confederation of Taino People (UCTP), is also seeking to influence the Organization of American States (OAS) that has been working with the Dominican government on this legislation and others.
?..the UCTP is following up with the OAS to attempt to determine their involvement in this issue. UCTP lobbying at the OAS has contributed to the increase of indigenous Caribbean delegates including a representative from the Dominican republic last year,? stated UCTP President Robert Mukaro Barrero.
?The proposed revision of the Dominican Republic?s Electoral Law 275-97 that seeks to limit self-identification to ?white, black, and mulatto? is discriminatory not only against those who seek to continue to identify as ?Indios/Indians? but to Asian and other communities long residing in the Dominican Republic as well,? Barrero asserted.
?I think it is also important that the outside community knows that others outside the Dominican community are following this issue and supporting the self-determination and self-identification of all Dominicans,? he added.
In seeking the reasons for the legislation neither the office of the President of the Dominican Republic or the Central Electoral Board responded to requests for comment.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...ing-proposed-in-the-dominican-republic-65739#

Read more:http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...eing-proposed-in-the-dominican-republic-65739 No Indian ID Law Being Proposed in the Dominican Republic - ICTMN.com

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Well we all know that the "Indio" was something created during the Trujillo regime for people who didn't want to admit that they're black. It wasn't really done to identify people who would consider themselves Taino descendants. I do agree that there should be an "Other" choice with a place to write down what that other means for those people of other races (i.e. Chinese) and anyone who considers themselves Taino can write it down.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Indio is not a color, is a race and we have been mal-using this in our convenience.
I made the electoral officer to remove it from my ID long time ago.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why you folks make such fuss about this? i am not ashamed or embarassed to identify my race/colour. granted, i lived nearly all my life in a country where everyone looked exactly the same but now i am a minority and i still ain't bothered. heck, my cedula could have: "piel - rosada con estrellas verdes" and i would still shrug my arms.

prospero

Oct 6, 2009
The most shocking thing for me here is that apparently there are Taino's left! In any case, this is the first time I hear of Taino's claiming for Taino pride. Where are they? Where do they hide? Are they all in the States? Can they prove they're Taino? What does a Taino even look like? I am very skeptical of this. It seems to me like just another whiny American article taking an American point of view on a Dominican idiosyncrasy that is of no REAL importance to the Dominican Republic (the question of whether one is white, black, taino, mulatto, blue, whatever, is a matter of profound indifference. To tell the truth, it is a futile question).

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Being of mixed racial background myself, I identify with this issue when filling out government forms etc... I'm an American Indian, with some white ancestry. I work for the Dept of Indian Affairs here in Canada where I'm not deemed to be an "Indian" because the tribe I descend from is an American tribe...not recognized by the Indian Act legislation... so I can choose to mark myself as a visible minority but amongst these groups you must choose from, Asian, Hispanic, Black etc... I don't fall under any of these... They have now officially changed the name of my dept to Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada.. because the term "Indian" was politically incorrect. Anyway, the world is not simply black and white (or Mulatto)...

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Indios are the people who trade gold for mirrors, that's the way Christopher Columbus made his fortune LOl

JJ

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Indios are the people who trade gold for mirrors, that's the way Christopher Columbus made his fortune LOl

JJ

...and unfortunately most people in The DR are still Indios in that sense. We're still trading "gold for mirrors". For instance we just gave all our gold to Barrick for some nice shiny Jeepetas. We keep giving our votes to corrupt politicians for "funditas and botellas".

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Corruption" in the DR "Pi$$es" me off,I can only wonder what it does to Dominicans like "Suarezn"???????????
You know,the 1% that actually care about their Country,and not just about themselves!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
I think the real conversation should be 'why should the government be allowed to track what your skin color is'?
No mi gusta.
Just makes it all too convenient for them to one day do a pogrom.
Yuck.
Remove the classifications entirely.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i think that the misunderstanding is that they're not talking about genetic makeup, but rather about skin color, right? we say "indio" to describe people who are neither fair-skinned nor dark-skinned. the idea is that they are changing the policy of "color" to policy of "ethnic background" and by deleting the "indio" option, we're no long talking about skin color.

but, mulatto, in spanish is the proper word for most dominicans - it means a mix between a european and a first nations blood. and indio, is not.

when i was growing up, people would ask what percentage indian i was. but, we were taught that you either are or you aren't. there is no "percentage." my grandpop would say "what half of you is indian - the left or the right? the top or the bottom?" it was a matter of what we identified with - the native culture or the euro-american culture. there is no pure (or even close to) taino culture here, so it seems a moot point.

the guys at the american indian museum tend to get feisty when it comes to abolishing titles. but, i think they've got the right to get up in arms considering that taking away people's names is the first step in taking away their identity and being. soon, we'll have no native people groups.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Taino heritage

Video

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mw6QZ3uRaJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JJ