Discover the SW - 5 Days

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
I have read many of the posts on the Southwest and want to thank all that have posted. It?s a great help. Based on the info, I have put together this trip for my family. My wife and I and our two kids hope to do this over the Christmas holiday. Please share your thoughts.

Day 1 Jarabacoa to Barahona. Hotel?
Day 2 Barahona and loop around Lago Enriquillo See alligators, iguanas, boat trip to island (if possible).
Day 3 Barahona to Pedernales, stopping at rivers and beaches on the way. Hotel Dona Chava. If time, climb up to see the mountain view (name escapes me).
Day 4 Bahia de Las Aguilas and return to Barahona Hotel? Hit more beaches/rivers on return.
Day 5 Laminar Mines. Maybe Polo Magnetico (if time) and return to Jarabacoa.

A few questions:
1. Does my route look reasonable?
2. Anything you would add or skip?
3. I drive a Suzuki XL-7. I would say it?s a entry level 4x4. Can it make it up to Laminar Mines? I plan on using the boat at Bahia de Las Aguilas, unless I find the road is better.
4. Hotels in/around Barahona? Trying to find one under/around $100 a night, with pool, internet, and beach (in order of priority). I think El Quemaito is the only one with all of those. Tempted to spend one night at Playa Azul or Hotel Casablanca for the great food.

Thanks again for your help.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I have read many of the posts on the Southwest and want to thank all that have posted. It’s a great help. Based on the info, I have put together this trip for my family. My wife and I and our two kids hope to do this over the Christmas holiday. Please share your thoughts.

Day 1 Jarabacoa to Barahona. Hotel?
Day 2 Barahona and loop around Lago Enriquillo See alligators, iguanas, boat trip to island (if possible).
Day 3 Barahona to Pedernales, stopping at rivers and beaches on the way. Hotel Dona Chava. If time, climb up to see the mountain view (name escapes me).
Day 4 Bahia de Las Aguilas and return to Barahona Hotel? Hit more beaches/rivers on return.
Day 5 Laminar Mines. Maybe Polo Magnetico (if time) and return to Jarabacoa.

A few questions:
1. Does my route look reasonable?
2. Anything you would add or skip?
3. I drive a Suzuki XL-7. I would say it’s a entry level 4x4. Can it make it up to Laminar Mines? I plan on using the boat at Bahia de Las Aguilas, unless I find the road is better.
4. Hotels in/around Barahona… Trying to find one under/around $100 a night, with pool, internet, and beach (in order of priority). I think El Quemaito is the only one with all of those. Tempted to spend one night at Playa Azul or Hotel Casablanca for the great food.

Thanks again for your help.

Day 1: The only hotel IN Barahona with a pool is Costa Larimar. I think it is overpriced, food is blah. Pay for the room and eat elsewhere would be my recommendation. It only has internet available IN THE DINING AREA, not the rooms. And DO NOT swim at the beach of the hotel...or anywhere in the city of Barahona...you have no idea the amount of sewage in the water. Do Hotel Quemaito one night, then Playa Azul one night. I like the pool at Playa Azul better, but they beach is small and often dirty (trash). Barahona city is not "kid friendly" (nothing to do there for kids). Neither are those two hotels...but bring some toys along and at least it will be peaceful there with a nice pool. Also bring snacks/coolers, those hotels don't sell stuff like that.

Day 2: Sure, should be great, you can do it in one day in your vehicle. You can bring your swim clothes to stop at a bathing spot along the way, either Las Tres Marias before Neyba or La Zurza near Duverge...although supposedly those are contaminated with unhealthy levels of bacteria from the lake and swimming is not advised, never stopped anyone and don't know anyone who has gotten sick from it. Call ahead to make advance arrangements if you really want to go to Isla Cabritos.

Day 3: If the kids are really young, safer for them to swim at the river in Los Patos. They rent tubes to float around. Much more calm/relaxed atmosphere for a family. Dona Chava...have stayed there, but there is a "nicer" hotel with a pool just can't remember the name. But could be ok if you are not "high maintenance".

Day 4: If you go to Bahia/Cabo Rojo, I imagine you won't have too much time to also stop at other beaches on the way back.

Day 5: Larimar mines are not interesting (IMO). Neither is Polo Magnetico (Spoiler alert: NOT MAGNETIC). I would stay another night in one of the above mentioned hotels, then you can go back to another beach or river (maybe San Rafael). You could also consider paying for a good lunch at Casa Bonita, amazing view, you can use the pool, and stop at the Larimar Shop at the bottom of the hill.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I don't recommend driving out to Bahia de las Aguilas. If you get stuck on the hill you'll be sorry ($), plus the kids will probably love the boat trip out there as part of the adventure.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hotel Costa larimar is a fine, clean, reasonably priced family hotel in Barahona.

Your route is very reasonable, but you might not be able to loop the lake. The rods is underwater for about 3km I understand.

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
Thank you both for your info.

A little more info about us - kids are 9 and 12. And we all speak spanish.

I have heard about the flooding around the lake and will ask the locals when we get there for what is passable, etc.

About hotels - they don't have to be "in" Barahona. I will look into your recommendations. Ty.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I highly recommend Hotel Playa Azul. The boat trip at Bahia de Las Aguilas is truly spectacular so sit back and enjoy the ride. Sounds like an excellent itinerary, enjoy.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
Just returned from this journey so i will give my thoughts. The road from Jarabacoa to Barahona via Constanza and SJ de Ocoa is very tiresome but beautiful. We had a ford explorer and i would want nothing less. You will need to go slowly in most places, it took us 9 hours driving with a stop for lunch and quite a few picture stops of only a moment. We stayed at playa azul and i would recommend it. The beach is nice and the pool is alright also. It is close to town for eating and atm's. You can drive around the lake, there is a detour just before the road is flooded but in my opinion the south side of the lake is boring and the town of Jimani is nothing worth visiting. Take the north route and be early as we went the other way and the boats were finished for the day to the island. It is worth a visit just past the park spot where the boats and iguanas are to bario, where there is a nice swimming spot and good dominican food to be had. Bahia de las aquilas is spectacular, we went on wednesday and only saw 2 other people all day. Also i think the children will enjoy the rivers at los patos and san raphael. Hope you enjoy your journey and have a great time, Ben

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Pedernales Hotel With Pool

The hotel with a pool in Pedernales is Hotel Villas del Mar. ( Villas del Mar Pedernales ) or ( Hotel VILLAS DEL MAR in Pedernales - Dominican Republic. ). They do not have thier own web site. I stayed there a few years ago. It was nice but the pool was out of service when I was there. They had a nice patio restaurant, but bring bug spray. The room we got was small but comfortable with air conditioning, secure parking, cable tv and hot water. Enjoy! It is a beautiful part of the country. Be careful at any of the rest stops along the scenic road as there have been some robberies up there. The boat ride to Bahia los Agiulas is the way to go, but it is expensive. We paid $RD1800 for two of us. If you have more passengers it will be cheaper, so ask.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Any heads up on non Dominican places to eat in Barahona? Have a place to stay but Dominican hosts put that dam canned corn in the rice. Please tell me there is a schnitzel restaurant there.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Brisas Del Caribe

For non Dominican food in the center of Barahona try Brisas del Caribe Restaurant
Batey Road Central

- Barahona, Dominican Republic

Phone: 809 524 2794

Open from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 PM (closed Tuesdays)

20 tables, national and international menu, knowledgeable staff (English,
Spanish and French)

The food very good and atmosphere is relaxed. On the coast road west of Barahona Hotel Playa Azul has some French and Oasi Italiano Hotelito in Los Patos has some Italian.

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
Travel Times:
I am looking for rough estimates of driving times, not including stops.

Here are my estimates.
Santa Dominigo to Barahona 2.5 hours
Barahona to Pedernales 2 hours

Please correct.

Thanks again for all the info.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Any heads up on non Dominican places to eat in Barahona? Have a place to stay but Dominican hosts put that dam canned corn in the rice. Please tell me there is a schnitzel restaurant there.

SCHNITZEL in Barahona!?! LOL!! The owner of Hotel Quemaito is German, he has German beer there and could whip you up something on request, I suppose!

The owners of Playa Azul are French...

Honestly, the closest thing to NON Dominican food you will get in the city of Barahona is...Pica Pollo Chino! :p

Ok, there is an Italian guy that has a new pizza place open on Uruguay, right across from the Parque Infantil near the Malecon. Not bad, but only opens it at night.

There is some GOOD Dominican food for lunch at Petrowsky's right next to Caribe Tours. He makes things with a twist.

Another new place is Junior's, right next to Los Robles on the Malecon. Has "tacos" and the like, only open at night.

GOOD, cheap seafood and pasta, literally right across the street from that place. Can't remember the name, the owner is Dominican and he sure can cook! I would pass up Brisas del Caribe to eat there anytime. Not as "fancy" atmosphere but the food, IMO, is better and cheaper to boot.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Travel Times:
I am looking for rough estimates of driving times, not including stops.

Here are my estimates.
Santa Dominigo to Barahona 2.5 hours
Barahona to Pedernales 2 hours

Please correct.

Thanks again for all the info.

Yep. But watch out for cows on the road to Pedernales!

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009

I forgot about a new place worth mentioning. It's called "WAOOO" (yes, really, that's the name). On the Malecon, past Brisas del Caribe Hotel on the right.

It's owned by an eccentric Spanish woman. If you see her there you will know what I'm talking about, if not the decor might give you an idea. But she seems nice and I bet she has an interesting story.

Anyway, they specialize in paella and seafood, but also have pastas. It's kinda expensive (IMO), but worth a try. I think the paella is like 1,000 pesos+ but it's for like 2 - 3 people. Cheapest thing is pasta for like 400. The food is pretty good though, and they try to give it a nice presentation. Nice place for a "fancy" meal in Barahona.