Internet shopping/credit card usage in Dominican Republic?

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
Dear Fellow DR1ners,

This is sort of a-two-in-one question. Does anyone know how popular credit card usage and internet shopping is in the Dominican Rep. It would be great if you know of any website that publishes statistics about these to topics.

Thanks in advance for your help.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My brother-in-law [Dominican] pays everything with his credit card. Supermarkets, gas, etc. When we go out to dinner, or to a hotel for a weekend, with he and his wife, he even puts our meals/rooms on his card [and we give him the cash]. He flies free to NY and FL several times a year using the miles he earns.

We NEVER use a credit card in DR. I'm convinced the cloning/stealing of card #s is done by someone at one or both of the two companies that process the charges. The first 4 numbers tell them the country of origin of the cardholder. They leave the Dominicans alone, and target the foreign cards.

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
How big do you think "local" internet shopping is in the country meaning buying from local companies as opposed to buying from other countries and having stuff sent to Dom. Rep?

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
My Master Card was cloned twice and used in Australia on each occasion a year or so ago. They took two lots of 100 Australian dollars the first time and the second time two months later when I had a new card, they attempted to take a trillion Australian dollars!!! I had only used it in la Sirena in Puerto Plata, Playero in Sosua and a horse feed place. I no longer use Master Card. I have used a Visa card without any problems for many years, but I have never used that card in la Sirena in POP, though I had used it previously in Santiago. I think Visa have a more efficient anti-fraud system.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How big do you think "local" internet shopping is in the country meaning buying from local companies as opposed to buying from other countries and having stuff sent to Dom. Rep?

How long is a piece of string? If I said huge, how big is that. 10 or 10,000 people?

You need to look at the "local" sites that offer online transactions, very few.

Nov 25, 2008
Credit card usage ; Data Credito can maybe give you a precise answer, they are a watch dog for the "non believers on payment"

Purchase on internet, EPS Caribepack... are companies who move mail, packages from the states to the DR, they definitely can give you a precise #

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The only local business I've ever ordered online from to date is Ikea. Other than that, I pay all my phone, electricity, internet with my Visa card and have them charge automatically each month. I also often use it when I go shopping but never, NEVER at the gas stations. To date (knock on wood) I've never had any problems.