Internet in Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Hello all,

How is the internet in Santiago? I am considering a move, but hear that in Cabarete, where I was going to go originally, the internet is almost non-existent.

Please let me know your thoughts.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Santiago, Cabarete Internet

Hello, My fiancee has an Orange flybox and actually seemed to be a little slower in Santiago. It can be slow at times in Cabarete as well, but seems to average a bit faster here. (Cabarete) We ALSO have free internet in the condos we're staying in in Cabarete, and that is quite a bit faster than the Orange flybox.

I don't think there is much of an internet problem in Cabarete. There IS a violence problem in Santiago, and only getting worse. If you are white, I would stay away, though there are some relatively safe neighborhoods, from what I have heard. Stay away from Cerro Altos. It is dangerous in this area. ..tom

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Today my internet has been in the 2.4 Mbps range...last week it was 3.4 Mbps...the difference is noticeable.

As far as crime is concerned, that is a dumb statement to make. It is no different here than any other place, especially at this time of the year when so much money is going to be circulating starting tomorrow.

Of course the barrios around Cerro Alto are not the nicest...yeah, you are right. Cerro Alto is a target. You just have to be aware, no matter where you are. And mentioning color is even dumber....grow up man...that does not get you any points.

HB

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
I have internet in Cabarete 3 Mbps Download & 1 up with cable del norte..

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I am just stating facts. Latinos blend in with the population here. I don't. As for dumb, I once saw a post of your where you said, (tongue and cheek, but not really) "We should do the same to the Haitians," referring to violent acts. A teacher in the US probably would have been fired for this. You also have a MASSIVE ego and live on this blog, which really does nothing for me. And what happened to the help you promised me at UTESA- nothing. Just an inflated ego and talk, not action.

As for Santiago, read the papers. It is hell on earth, and getting worse. Everybody that lives there knows that.

Today my internet has been in the 2.4 Mbps range...last week it was 3.4 Mbps...the difference is noticeable.

As far as crime is concerned, that is a dumb statement to make. It is no different here than any other place, especially at this time of the year when so much money is going to be circulating starting tomorrow.

Of course the barrios around Cerro Alto are not the nicest...yeah, you are right. Cerro Alto is a target. You just have to be aware, no matter where you are. And mentioning color is even dumber....grow up man...that does not get you any points.

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I am just stating facts. Latinos blend in with the population here. I don't. As for dumb, I once saw a post of your where you said, (tongue and cheek, but not really) "We should do the same to the Haitians," referring to violent acts. A teacher in the US probably would have been fired for this. You also have a MASSIVE ego and live on this blog, which really does nothing for me. And what happened to the help you promised me at UTESA- nothing. Just an inflated ego and talk, not action.

As for Santiago, read the papers. It is hell on earth, and getting worse. Everybody that lives there knows that.

No offense lat but I'm a gringo and live here in Santiago and I don't know anybody who thinks it's hell on earth.

On the contrary it is a great place to live and other foreigners have found that out a well.

Does this mean there are no bad areas? No there certainly are but I don't live there and don't go there at night no more than I went to North Charleston at night where I grew up or to Pine Hills in Orlando where we used to live.

If I understand you lived near la fuente which is bordering the worse areas of town. Here on the E side things are much different.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Internet in Santiago seems to work well. Got some FB friends from there and they seem to be online 24/7.

As for Cerro Alto what areas are bad. Rosario Sanchez? I like watching the pick-up ball games they have on La Quisqueya across from the Cruz colmado. Just as long as you are with a local you will not have a problem in Cerro Alto.

Sorry about going off topic. I go there often and am always greeted with a smile with nothing expected in return.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Just as long as you are with a local you will not have a problem in Cerro Alto.

I'm a gringo and I go anywhere in Santiago and even though I believe I stand out nobody seems to pay attention to me. Granted I don't have blond hair and blue eyes but I'm almost as white as a bed sheet. :) I'm talking about El Ejido, Pueblo Nuevo, dondequiera. :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Ugly gringo!

Ok here I am with my youngest daughter. Tell me I don't look like a gringo. :) Fortunately my daughter takes after her mother, jeje.

2agkvid.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
HEy Lat!! I promised to help you with UTESA??? How on earth did I do that... Now ,maybe PUCMM, okay, but UTESA??? Please refresh my memory.

As for "dumb", well playing the color card on this board (black, brown or white or even "indio") is a no-no...it just drags down things, and in a city like Santiago, it is just plain stupid! It shows that you have absolutely no knowledge of the people here.

Come on son, forget this, take it as sound advice and get on with your life...it was you who came here. Nobody asked you to come. He!!, I've made worse mistakes and had to eat crow, and it tastes like sh!t!! Believe me!

HB

May 12, 2005
I think this thread has gone off the cliff. There is reliable, albeit not cheap internet in Santiago. Case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.