DR Needs a 21st Century El Jefe

May 12, 2005
Folowing the current events and general state of the country, it has become patently obvious DR needs a new Jefe, one for the 21st Century. A leader who is benevolent to the folks but the opposite to all who bring harm or discredit to society. A leader who make sure the streets are free of trash. A leader who like the El Jefe of the past who would show up unannouced at places like the Education Ministry and ask questions and demand accountability. IMHO, the country has started to veer off the road and somebody needs to grab the wheel and straighten her out.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You will be shat upon for even suggesting this!! But know ye that for years there has been an undercurrent of feelings in that direction. A few years ago they were calling for "Candelier and Marcoris!" (Two very tough people)...but it was often a jest.

When Hippo suggest conscription ? la Jefe, he was bitterly attacked as a Trujillista!!

And it would be a change of pace, that is for sure...all this corruption and impunity....sh!t, five of the eight involved in a 310 key drug shipment are out on bail!!

Oh well, we can only dream.

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Bananas.jpg

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Fielding Melish!

[video=youtube;oF-AcR14Km8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF-AcR14Km8&feature=related[/video]

Doc T

Dec 21, 2011
Folowing the current events and general state of the country, it has become patently obvious DR needs a new Jefe, one for the 21st Century. A leader who is benevolent to the folks but the opposite to all who bring harm or discredit to society. A leader who make sure the streets are free of trash. A leader who like the El Jefe of the past who would show up unannouced at places like the Education Ministry and ask questions and demand accountability. IMHO, the country has started to veer off the road and somebody needs to grab the wheel and straighten her out.

Trujillo certainly had his positive aspects, but the bad heavily outweighed the good, as we're still feeling the effects of his tenure to this very day.

If Trujillo, or anyone like him, ever got in office, I'd strap c4 to myself and go for it. Right after the first dissenter was picked up from his house by a military envoy never to be seen again.

That said, this country IS off it's ****ing rocker, man. One of my best friends' dad was murdered over a parking space. A ****ING PARK SPACE. What's going through peoples heads? Crimes of random violence are at a ridiculously all time high, too. The drug games rampant, making DR look like Miami in the 80's.

Another one of my best friends, one of the first from childhood that I met when I moved out there, was killed for his Blackberry. I'm furious at the state of things, honestly.

May 12, 2005
Trujillo certainly had his positive aspects, but the bad heavily outweighed the good, as we're still feeling the effects of his tenure to this very day.

If Trujillo, or anyone like him, ever got in office, I'd strap c4 to myself and go for it. Right after the first dissenter was picked up from his house by a military envoy never to be seen again.

That said, this country IS off it's ****ing rocker, man. One of my best friends' dad was murdered over a parking space. A ****ING PARK SPACE. What's going through peoples heads? Crimes of random violence are at a ridiculously all time high, too. The drug games rampant, making DR look like Miami in the 80's.

Another one of my best friends, one of the first from childhood that I met when I moved out there, was killed for his Blackberry. I'm furious at the state of things, honestly.

I am not advocating a carbon copy of Trujillo but the country needs a leader who is tough on crime and corruption and will be vocal and forceful about quality of life issues.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I am not advocating a carbon copy of Trujillo but the country needs a leader who is tough on crime and corruption and will be vocal and forceful about quality of life issues.

Will have to remove the whole police department and all military branches from roots to start.

JJ

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
A truly professional police force with a civil service system would be a big plus.

Beyond being a plus, I think it's critical to changing a mentality that promotes "getting all I can while I'm here" because I'll be gone and my chance of an income goes with it once the government changes.

This is where I keep hoping that those Dominican abroad who had solid careers in their field of choice go back to their small home towns and lead by example. They have a realistic sense of what working hard and getting ahead over time looks like, not just take what you can in the short term. There are so many "small" infrastructure projects that never get completed, while the funds are used on personal expenditures. Completing even those small projects could have a big impact on the quality of life of many.

It's also about a middle class--people that believe they can make a decent life with hard work. Which gets back to investing that 4% in education so everyone can have a chance on entering that newly formed middle class that can be formed by better paid teachers, policeman, and other "public servants".

It seems that Leonel proposed (or at least gave lip service) to an idea like civil service a while back. Guess nothing ever came of it?