Credit Cards

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I have a question from someone I know.

Let say the person has over 50K pesos in balances from credits cards. Payments have not been made because of lack of work. Over a period of a few months, the person received tons of calls from the credit card companies.
All of sudden the phone calls stopped. A few weeks ago the person received a phone call from a bank asking the person to stop by that the bank had a 10K pesos credit card for the person and that the person needed to sign some documents. The person never went thinking it was a set up.

I know in the US, you can not get arrested for owing a cc debt but they can garnish your wages and take your bank accounts. If you claim bankruptcy, the cc company cant touch you.

Two questions.

1) What are the laws in the DR regarding credit card debts and bankruptcy? (if it exists at all lol)

2) Do you think this person was set up to be arrested when showing up at the bank for the cc?

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
If you give a Dominicano a credit card....forget about it (only kidding)B/B In d.r. bad checks can get you in doors for a while but failure to pay a C.C. I dont think so,unless your check was no good.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
She will obviously kill her credit rating here. If in the future she needs an account, loan, credit card and they run her Cedula through CICLA or any of the other credit agencies here, then it will raise red flags.

Feb 7, 2007
Well, officially you cannot get arrested for debt, and debt is civil not criminal matter...but they have a (penal) provision for "abuso de confianza" for which you can ... like "I loan you money (under assumption you are solvent and would pay me back), you default on the debt, and I put up querella against you for "abuso de confianza" because you abused my trust in you that you would pay me the money back." Most likely would get worked out in settlement mediated by fiscal, but yes the warrant can be issued in initial phase.

Feb 7, 2007
Do you think this person was set up to be arrested when showing up at the bank for the cc?
I know a person who owed Banco Leon 12k pesos for over a year, non payment and full cc debt default. They knew where he worked and no he was not arrested in that time period.