Do Dominican families living in USA have the same problems w/Americanized children?

chrisbam1989

Nov 20, 2011
Do Dominican families living in USA have problems with their "Americanized" children?

I just came across this article (Helping Youth Succeed Project - University of Minnesota Extension) while googling "mother son relationship".I'll give you a brief synopsis about the article:A Vietnamese family is being divided; the oldest son in the family had to be the man of the house because the father left them long ago. He had been ordered by his mother to take care of his siblings, in which the oldest son said he had no problem. But the way he was treated doesn't sit him well. You'll see more of that story in the link.So this thread is basically about children raised in America by their parents of foreign origin not following their parents' way of life (i.e. a Dominican child is Americanized and the parents doesn't seem too phased about it).I almost faced the same situation as the Vietnamese-American child but the outcome is always normal without incident. I know cultures between America and other nations are way different.Let me know what you think of the article and tell me if Dominicans faced a similar situation.

Last edited:

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
From my experience of working with immigrants from 20+ nations, it happens with every group. The strength of the family unit is very important. Is the father present? Is the mother working outside the home? Are grandparents close by? Are there other members of the extended family (aunts, uncles, etc) nearby? But there are many, many other factors, including church participation, education, etc.

Octavio de la Paz spoke about the phenomenon among Mexican immigrant families in Labyrinth of Solitude.