I'm looking for a place in Santo Domingo (Januari - April)

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Hi there,

Like the title is saying, I'm looking for a place to stay in Santo Domingo from Januari - April.

I've been reading here a little bit, I've never been in Santo Domingo before so I don't know which zone I should stay in. At this moment all I know is the next:

- I pay for a Miami Overtown 1 bedroom / 1 bathroom apartment $500,- a month.. I don't know the housing prices over there but $500,- a month is what I'ld like to do and not more than $1000,- a month.

What I'ld like you to help me with is with some websites or contacts.

The only thing I asked for is a place on secured ground, I'm living in housing with gates and cameras and all windows have protection. If the place is not on secured ground atleast let the windows have protection or else I ain't with it! LOL!

Other than that, I think we can work things out..

Thanks for your time! :)

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
What's your agenda here? Depending on what you want to do or look for there are a number of options. Most tourists look for places close to the colonial zone. Your best bet to find a place for a reasonable rate is to plan on staying in a hotel for at least a week, maybe two. Ask around at the local colmados for information about rentals in the area. Usually there is someone in the neighborhood who works at locating apartments (read fee) and having all the contacts with the owners. Ask around, look around is my best suggestion - you'll not find much of any deals for short stay online I think.

Karlheinz

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
What's your agenda here? Depending on what you want to do or look for there are a number of options. Most tourists look for places close to the colonial zone. Your best bet to find a place for a reasonable rate is to plan on staying in a hotel for at least a week, maybe two. Ask around at the local colmados for information about rentals in the area. Usually there is someone in the neighborhood who works at locating apartments (read fee) and having all the contacts with the owners. Ask around, look around is my best suggestion - you'll not find much of any deals for short stay online I think.

Karlheinz

I'm a songwriter / producer myself and I'm going to Santo Domingo to work with singers. Not big time singers, but singers in the making. So yeah I'm a tourist but it's for business.

If I ain't going to find a place through here or just online, then what you've suggested already was my plan B.

I did that the same when moving to Miami, I spent weeks looking for housing online.. I stayed in a hotel for a week to only find a place in 3 days. But ey, I have to give plan A a serious try before I end up in some serious mess!

Feb 7, 2007
Bollaert2, you should post an ad at dr1 first, then you can offer your property in the threads as well. What you have done can easily result in your post being deleted and your being kicked out of dr1. Especially considering you are a first time poster, that smelling of commercial spam.

Feb 7, 2007
To the OP: The best advice you will ever get is to get on the ground and do your search from here. Much (but MUCH) more opportunities being on the spot than doing search remotely, and much (but MUCH) cheaper.

Word of advice: if you like place from outside, have a Dominican call in for a price. Then visit inside yourself. I have done this many times in the past for many things and - still do it occasionally even though I have been living here for quite some years now, and I know local prices for locals, know how things work here and am no longer taken for pendejo gringo aka billetera caminante (walking wallet). But still use dominican link sometimes. Sad to say but true that in the majority of times the foreigners are quoted higher rates and prices than locals.

I have to admit myself, I now quote higher prices to foreign born clients than locals - not that I would engage in price gauging of foreigners, it's that I think foreigners (clients who are foreign born) can better appreciate true value of services my company offers compared to Dominicans who have caused ultra depressed pricing in the industry I work in (advertising/media).

Feb 7, 2007
....the prices Dominicans pay do not reflect true value of such services rendered. A Dominican will ask and demand a discount on a 20 pesos coconut you have already discounted to 10 pesos e.o. in 2-for-1 deal.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I can highly also second rubio's advice about having a dominican call first and inquire about prices before you show your head. You might be surprised at the differences between the two.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
I can highly also second rubio's advice about having a dominican call first and inquire about prices before you show your head. You might be surprised at the differences between the two.

LOL, let me first get to know me a Dominican and if that part is working out let that person be willing to help me out.. but indeed that's a very good tip! :)

At this moment, Google ain't doing it for me.. so I think spending 2 weeks in a hotel and just walking around looking for housing is the thing I'm looking at. But I still got a couple of days left so if anything pops up here that also would be good.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Where y'all at?!

It's not like my inbox is getting spammed or whatever, too bad..

But if for maybe now or in the near past somebody has a place to over, the areas I'ld like to live in are the ones in blue.

Last edited by a moderator: