American getting married with dominican in Santo Domingo

anthony32

Apr 6, 2011
Hello guys, ok i have a lot of questions into one, first of all i was born in the united states my mother is american and my father is dominican, right now im in the dominican republic i been here for a little over a year i was able to get a cedula because my father is a dominican so by law i am authorized for one, now my fiance is dominican we been recently trying to plan our wedding and set a date but we have a few conflicts, right now i have the option of getrtin married with my passport or my cedula, it is much easier and cheaper if i do it with my cedula but im afraid that if i do it with that it is going to jepordize my chances of getting the visa for my future wife even though the cedula says nationality:Dominican place of birth, bronx,ny. i know for a fact that with the passport it will be more secure but they are asking for a birth certificate apostillado and a single status certificate, my question is that i dont know where i can get that here i know the birth certificate i can get it easy by having my mother order it for me, but the single status certificate i dont know where to get it from because im here in santo domingo and i cant afford to go and come back, is there a way i can get it at the US embassy, please i need help we are going crazy!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wow, that was the longest sentence I've read in a long time.

If you are Catholic, and getting married in a Catholic Church, all you should need is a recent copy of your baptismal certificate from the Bronx, which will indicate that you've never been married in a church ceremony. Your mother should be able to get that for you. (When a Catholic marries in a Catholic Church, the church of baptism is notified and it is added to the record)

Otherwise, I'm not sure what a "single status certificate" is.

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
Dude don't do it. You'll have plenty of time to do it right. If you are taking her back to NY, work on completing the I-130 visa app. It costs $460 and takes at least 5 months for a response. You can do it for a wife or fianc? so take your time. It is a decision that affects the rest of your life.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Otherwise, I'm not sure what a "single status certificate" is.

When you get married here, whether Dominican or foreign you need either a divorce certificate or a single status certificate. it can be organised by any lawyer and is a statement saying you are single and free to marry.

matilda