Article in my local paper - anyone been to this area?

kevin1234

Jan 1, 2011
blogging.cwl.cc
Hi All,

I came across an article in my local (Toronto) paper that describes an area where a group from Canada went to build houses in a barrio area. Six houses in total. Has anyone heard about this? Been to the area? I wonder what condition the houses are in now..

Here's the article:
http://tinyurl.com/7cz4kul

Last edited by a moderator:

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
Beautiful article. I emailed to my wife and asked her if she knows where it is. I hope they do it again. I'd like to volunteer or contribute.

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
I just spoke with her via video chat. She knows the area and says the houses are fine, the people who the houses are for have next to nothing and aore very grateful for their kindness and help.

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
The area is now called Nuevo Renecer (new birth) some people still know it by the name Aguas Negras (black water) due to the black water from standing/sewage water that stands in the gutters after alot of rain and poor drainage. It is in an area of Puerto Plata not far from the port. The Ontario Builders Assoc. partnered with a wonderful Dominican woman named Sandra Tineo who works in this area helping guide the gringos where the help is needed most. Wonderful ministry she has -- originally started with the help of Mercy Ships.