The best area in SD to meet lots of other young people?

pitt

Dec 12, 2011
I have been to DR last year and i loved it and i am looking to go live there for good, however i am unsure on what neighbourhood i should live. I was staying in zona colonial, although is a good spot there, i want to live in a more dominican area so i get to feel more the dominican culture.

So what is the best barrio in santo domingo to live and that is really busy with lots of young people (specially young ladies of course, because i am a man)?

I would be glad if someone could help me out.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I hear that traffic is hell in the capital, so where are you going to work because you might want to pick a nice neighborhood near where you work due to the traffic. You do have a job there right? The other employees may also be able to clue you in on nice places to live. Really, I know nothing about the Capital except what u read on here but give it a few hours and the Capitale?os will be up. Good luck!

SHALENA

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Along the Autopista Duarte there are alot of neighborhoods - kilometro 13, 14 e.t.c. You may also wanna look into Venezuala area (also known as "the other side of the bridge"). I have working collegues who live as far as the Las Americas Airport. They say the housing in the area is very affordable though the traffic is hectic. In your case i would highly recommend Zonal Universitaria. You stand a chance of meeting with lotsa college educated dominicans, the metro line operates in that area so you can always get on that 20peso ride. Its also a walking distance to the ocean (along av. independencia) and to the city center.

Good luck!

pitt

Dec 12, 2011
Along the Autopista Duarte there are alot of neighborhoods - kilometro 13, 14 e.t.c. You may also wanna look into Venezuala area (also known as "the other side of the bridge"). I have working collegues who live as far as the Las Americas Airport. They say the housing in the area is very affordable though the traffic is hectic. In your case i would highly recommend Zonal Universitaria. You stand a chance of meeting with lotsa college educated dominicans, the metro line operates in that area so you can always get on that 20peso ride. Its also a walking distance to the ocean (along av. independencia) and to the city center.

Good luck!

Hey

Thanks for answering my question. Is zonal Universitaria the public university in santo domingo near zona colonial? if yes, then i would just live in zona colonial if thats the case because is close to the university. But i want another barrio, one that is busy but not near zona colonial.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
By my estimation, there are relatively fewer non-Dominicans in Santo Domingo Este and because of that the vibe tends to be not quite as exciting, not quite as vibrant—SDE is kind of like a hot, dirty, commuter suburb. The neighborhoods from Piantini all the way over to the ZC all seem to have a fair amount of non-Dominicans in them and in my personal opinion, those neighborhoods are where most of the fun stuff happens anyways. Venezuala is a great Dominican nightspot but I personally would prefer to visit that side of the Ozama every once in a while, as opposed to the other way around. Check out Gazcue. Santo Domingo is loaded with young people. I think you will encounter young people no matter where you go.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Hey

Thanks for answering my question. Is zonal Universitaria the public university in santo domingo near zona colonial? if yes, then i would just live in zona colonial if thats the case because is close to the university. But i want another barrio, one that is busy but not near zona colonial.

Get a map, but generally the public UASD (Universidad Aut?noma de Santo Domingo ) is at the approx. intersection of Aves Independencia and Maximo Gomez. Maximo Gomez runs north south from the Malecon (on the ocean) to SD North. Independencia runs east west with the Zona Colonial on the eastern end. It is a hefty walk from the ZC to UASD area, or a 7 minute publico ride.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I have been to DR last year and i loved it and i am looking to go live there for good, however i am unsure on what neighbourhood i should live. I was staying in zona colonial, although is a good spot there, i want to live in a more dominican area so i get to feel more the dominican culture.

So what is the best barrio in santo domingo to live and that is really busy with lots of young people (specially young ladies of course, because i am a man)?

I would be glad if someone could help me out.
Hmmmm, want to move here for good? How do you plan on supporting yourself? Where you will work has a large infleuence on where you should live. Santo Domingo may not be the most appropriate city to live in. Are you independently wealthy? Are mommy and daddy going to support you? What skills and education do you have? All this figures into where you should live. Of course, all this doesn't matter if you say that you are a 65 year old retiree, on a pension, looking to hook up with 20 year old students.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
You should think about what kind of Dominican culture you want. What you see in the Colonial Zone can vary within itself, and of course, it varies outside.

I'm 27, and "party" regularly. Some of my Dominican friends are more Westernized then people I know from Canada. Not that I care, but you might have seen this too. Don't think that what you see in la zona colonial ISN'T Dominican culture. If you want to kill goats in the campo, I would be hard pressed to find a person that could direct you somewhere to go.

Moving on.

I've lived in Gazcue, and Ensanche Julieta. Both are fine. I don't drive, so my criteria was to always have a supermarket near. In Gazcue, it was a tiny Cadena, in Julieta I have La Sirena and Bravo in walking distance (along with Bluemall and Acropolis),

You couldn't pay me to live on the other side UNLESS I happened to get a MUCH better job there. Traffic is terrible if you work on this side, and I hear about it regularly from co-workers. Of course, you might see more stereotypical Dominican "culture" over there, but I'm not an expert.

When I worked in the office regularly (in Naco), I would taxi from Gazcue (which was stupidly expensive). Now I take a bus for 1/6 the price, once a week, and its great.

I actually walk home from Naco to Julieta on Tuesdays; about 30 minutes. It's stupid hot, and I have my bag and computer, but its the only exercise I get (and unlike some people here, I could care less how I appear to others).

I made a map (how sad). The red dots from left to right are (1) Where I live now (2) Work (3) First apartment.

Et6Y0.jpg

When I go out, its basically to la zona colonial, and since most people I know drive, its not an issue. I probably wouldn't have walked home from la zona to Gazcue at night even when I lived there. If you don't have friends that drive and live near you, taxi's are an okay way to go, I did it 2x a day for almost a year. When I consider the money I save now, its insane.

If you want to be near the university, just live around it, I'm sure there are pockets that fit your "barrio" criteria.

Tell us more about the type of person you are, where you went in la zona colonial (or other places) and we can tell you more.

Santodomingo

Nov 27, 2011
Anywhere around the Mormon Temple is a nice area with new houses and lots of young people! Try for something there.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I actually walk home from Naco to Julieta on Tuesdays; about 30 minutes. It's stupid hot, and I have my bag and computer, but its the only exercise I get (and unlike some people here, I could care less how I appear to others).

I really don't recommend you walking that distance with a laptop in your back. You may become an easy target para un atraco.