Road from Santiago to CapHaitien

Hawthorne5

Dec 13, 2011
Hi there,

Just wondering how the road is from Santiago to CapHaitien? Is it safe when riding with Caribe Tours? How is Haiti in general? Extremely dangerous as most people have told me? Been reading lots of Forums on the topic and the feeling seems mixed in general. Here in the Dominican, both my dominican friends and foreign friends are warning me not to go there, making it sound like I will be kidnapped the second I cross the border. None of my friends, either foreign or dominican have been there. I would like to hear some real and recent opinions from travellers (especially foreigners) who have been there. My boyfriend and I would like to travel there this weekend. We are both experienced travellers but neither of us speaks Creole. Is it crazy to go there now or is it relatively safe?

Any advice from travellers would be welcome. Thanks.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The best way to go is Caribe Tours and yes it is safe. They make the chaotic border crossing sane. Don't expect much in western ways and carry USD for use as the currency. The good hotels are expensive but nice. The road to Dajabon has many bumps, the road from the border to Capo is not too bad. The cholera threat is real and you are best suited to go with someone who is Haitian to get the best visit. I went a year ago and had no real problems but we took a Haitian friend who became our tour guide of sorts.

Hawthorne5

Dec 13, 2011
Thanks

Thanks for the info and any other advice people can give me about travelling there would be most welcome. Advice on possibly finding a guide once in CapHatien/things to do/places to go/places to stay. It's really hard to really get any info about Haiti from outside the country.