Oprah in Haiti

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for posting this. It should be a good show to watch. I'll have to go to her website to see when it will air.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~Sounds like Oprah is trying to boost ratings to her money losing "O Network", they are grasping at whatever will bring in ratings to turn a profit!!

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Sure hope she builds and sponsors a school in Haiti, just as she did in South Africa many years ago.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Kardashians in Haiti?
Oh deary me.
Where do I start......?

My feelings precisely. I think she's trying to do some damage control after the world revolted over her faux, publicity stunt, marriage fiasco. "Look at me, I'm slumming with poor people".

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Don't get it. Is it Oprah or Kim Kardashian ??

I hope it is Oprah, it will bring much needed attention BACK to Haiti.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Oprah, Sean or Kim K. they should all be in the clown bin. Doing nothing but giving the Haitians false hope.

Dumbar

Dec 16, 2010
Oprah, Sean or Kim K. they should all be in the clown bin. Doing nothing but giving the Haitians false hope.
Almost everybody is doing the same shyt in Ayiti. "Ginving the Haitians False Hope" .. disgusting

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Sean Penn has been putting his money and his time where is mouth is for quite some time now. I don't consider that false hope.
Opera donates to many good causes and I am sure Haiti will be added to her list.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
They are not giving anyone any hope....nor can they....haiti is simply the hot charity photo op.

We have a show bizz president and with wycleff's and Sean penn's help has been inviting US celebrities to visit.

Kim k was there but was hardly slumming......she was hanging with the upper class in petion-Ville clubs.....she did the obligatory visit to a charity.

Oprah was invited by sean penn to visit his foundation and the work he is doing in haiti.

Minister louis farakhan also visited...he said he was interested in learning more about haiti's Vaudou religion...and met with Haitian muslims.

99% of haitians are paying no attention to these visits.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I gotta say this about Penn.
He was there in the p!ss and the mud getting his hands dirty straight after the earthquake and the only publicity seeking I heard from him was when he was trying to shame the authorities into action.
So good on him.

From what I gather, nobody gives a rat's ass about these celebs.
If you want to see a real Haitian frenzy then wait for the Brazilian football team to visit, or Lucky Dube before he died.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
If you want to see a real Haitian frenzy then wait for the Brazilian football team to visit, or Lucky Dube before he died.

The country certainly holds its collective breath whenever a crucial game of the World Cup is being played by the Brazilian selection. I have yet to see any other foreign nation rooting more for that team than the Haitians do. It only reminds me of how fanatical people here used to get when Pedro Martinez was playing or Sosa was at the bat.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I am not be impressed with some celebs going to Haiti for photo ops either.
Sean Penn was never a favorite of mine. What he does do is to get Haiti on the news in the US. He is a hero to many Haitians.
Haiti has been and still is a forgotten hell hole of a country to live in. IF the people of Haiti are to have a glimmer of hope it needs to get coverage of how bad it still is.
I have hope for Haiti. I see some good people doing some good things there. A family from my area is building an orphange near the site their daughter died in the earthquake.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Oprah would had been much more helpful by simply going to some Haitian beach and recording a clip there when she tells the world that Haiti is ready for investments and tourists!

Considering that she has such a huge fan base that literally do what she tells them to (check how every time Oprah endorses a product its sales goes through the roof), that would had given Haiti an economic boost unlike anything that has been seen so far.

I guess that's too much to ask. :dead: