Canadian Spousal Sponsorship Denied Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love & Laugh

Sep 25, 2010
Good Day All,

I received my refusal letter in the mail, saying that my husband failed to prove that our marriage was genuine in his interview and that we did not have enough proof that we communicate as often for which I don't understand as I sent in many phone records proving that we talk daily sometimes 2 or 3 times for last 2 years. I have visisted in 1 year, alone, 3 times, but I travelled less after then, because of how much the phone and the distance cost and we decided to marry and he live here. Nonetheless - declined. I am appealing the decision, but wanted as much information as I can possible have. Is there anyone going through the appeal process and overcame it and can share their experience? Or, currently in appeals process? Did you get a lawyer, do I need one for this part of it? Please; any information I would welcome right now.

Thanks in advance

LL

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Did you go to the hearing? Very important! Did you have wedding and other photos and phone records and western union receipts? You and he have to document and prove the relationship.

Love & Laugh

Sep 25, 2010
answering both questions.
RV429 - Nothing yet, I'm mailing the appeal papers tomorow. As for proof? Oh my goodness, I thought I sent too much. I sent everything you've mentioned.

Anna C - Yes, Canadian - Ontario. As for the lawyer, it wasn't to make it faster, moreso that they may know more about my rights and all the legalities etc... I did read the sticky, but thought I could get more information from current posts. I donno, maybe I'm one of the few you've been denied in 2011. The timeframe for appealing and re-applying didn't seem that different in months. CIC is taking so much longer now. Also, I'm afraid of them declining again for the same reasons.
Ugh, this process is disheartening. And by the looks of things, I have many more miles to go

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ever think you've been saved several tons of heartache?

Those folks generally know fraud when they see it.

Love & Laugh

Sep 25, 2010
Interesting reponse cobraboy, all has to be considered but people do make mistakes and sometimes mood and other things can determine ones decision - who knows what the IO was going through on that day. There are guidelines for them to follow, but it's all opinion at the end of the day - that's what the letter said anyway.
Here's another question then: is there anyone who has been originally refused, later appealed and won, granted their visa yet after, their spouse was not genuine and what the was stated in their refusal letter was in fact true and you are now seperated?

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
I went through this process with professional advice with another immigration authority.
The advice I received was to exchange letters every 2-3 weeks - letters should contain details of extended family, education, culture, areas in common - e.g. a love of maths etc.
pi2.

Interesting reponse cobraboy, all has to be considered but people do make mistakes and sometimes mood and other things can determine ones decision - who knows what the IO was going through on that day. There are guidelines for them to follow, but it's all opinion at the end of the day - that's what the letter said anyway.
Here's another question then: is there anyone who has been originally refused, later appealed and won, granted their visa yet after, their spouse was not genuine and what the was stated in their refusal letter was in fact true and you are now seperated?

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
That's how shams do it, among other ways

Sorry you were denied, but what you've described is one way many Dominicans arrange marriages for their friends and family. (including husbands and wifes) And it's not typical of how most Canadians have their courtship. (I'm not saying this is what you've done, I'm saying if you step back and think about it, you may see why there was a denial.)

So you get married have some pictures. That's really easy to stage. You call 2-3 times a week, well you know you are talking to each other, but he could really be talking to his real wife etc. Now, I think letters are actually better as he'll be over the top sappy, and so will you. So they can actually see the content, not just the frequency.

So along with all the things you've been told, travel as much and as varied with lots of clothes changes. You need to be at his friends and families events. I know it sounds silly, but real relationships have you doing lots of things--especially as you live so far apart and see each other frequency. You both need to know who is who in the family.

I've seen "sham" marriages get through while real ones don't. A lot depends on what it appears to be. And crazy in love people do silly things like spend more than they should and travel more than others.

Good luck!

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010

Immigration officials can't tell what's in your heart. Many separate after they've made it because things weren't as they seemed and "he/she" changed or finally revealed their true colors.

If you are confident in your relationship, it's certainly an inconvenience, to say the least to be denied, but you'll preserve in the long run. If you are not confident in your relationship, don't count on immigration to be the one to save you.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'll bet more sham marriages get stopped than permitted, and more real marriages are approved than not.

Fact is the reason it's so difficult is because of the HUGE amount of fraud being committed by Dominicans.

If the marriage is real why not move to the DR?

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I'll bet more sham marriages get stopped than permitted, and more real marriages are approved than not.

Fact is the reason it's so difficult is because of the HUGE amount of fraud being committed by Dominicans.

Agreed, and very valid question. Why not move to the DR? Or can that now be plan "B".

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com

I married a Dominican woman and received the visa without any problems. Why? Because she was only 11 years my junior, (not a May - December relationship) I had a good job in Canada to support her. She also could tell the interviewer my birth date, my sons names, where I lived and worked in Canada. Lots of personal questions that proved to the Canadian interviewer that it was a real long term relationship.

Big age differences make the interviewer very suspicious and even more so with a Canadian woman and a Dominican man. They know that "most" Dominican men can only find menial labour jobs in Canada which they find demeaning (used to be the center of attention in the all-inclusive hotels) and soon are a burden on their wife and her income.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Ever think you've been saved several tons of heartache?

Those folks generally know fraud when they see it.

Cobraboy.. What? You know that her husband is different!! Their relationship is different.. Heartaches? No, not hers... OMG.. how dare you assume such.. *sarcasm* She knows HERS is different!!!!

Sorry you were denied, but what you've described is one way many Dominicans arrange marriages for their friends and family. (including husbands and wifes) And it's not typical of how most Canadians have their courtship. (I'm not saying this is what you've done, I'm saying if you step back and think about it, you may see why there was a denial.)

So you get married have some pictures. That's really easy to stage. You call 2-3 times a week, well you know you are talking to each other, but he could really be talking to his real wife etc. Now, I think letters are actually better as he'll be over the top sappy, and so will you. So they can actually see the content, not just the frequency.

So along with all the things you've been told, travel as much and as varied with lots of clothes changes. You need to be at his friends and families events. I know it sounds silly, but real relationships have you doing lots of things--especially as you live so far apart and see each other frequency. You both need to know who is who in the family.

I've seen "sham" marriages get through while real ones don't. A lot depends on what it appears to be. And crazy in love people do silly things like spend more than they should and travel more than others.

Good luck!

Uhmm... GREAT post!!! When I was in a LDR (years ago) we spoke more thand 2-3 times a day let alone a WEEK.. I think their case DOES scream fraud ... Even if it really isn't... it sure smells like it to people looking in.

I wish you luck!! But as mentioned.. maybe it was for the better for you... Hang in there!

Jen

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I know an ex-couple that spent 7 years in this process. I honestly think that these people know what to look for in the Dominican spouse that may lend them to believe that the marriage is a fraud. And usually they are right.
Anyeay, I didn't write to discourage you but actually to give you a little hope. Is this the first denial? My son's father and his ex were denied I think 2 or 3 times so keep trying.

But I also wouldn't be me if I didn't say "Be careful what you wish for"

SHALENA

Love & Laugh

Sep 25, 2010
Thank you to all the folks who have not deviated from my original question. The ones who have taken the time to read my words cautiously then respond based on their own experiences or the experience of someone who was close to them. I do welcome a lot more of your responses relevant to my current issue, if you are out there and willing to share

LL

Status
Not open for further replies.