Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Law Abolished ?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Helmet Law Abolished ?

I noticed all of the motoconcho drivers in Sosua are no longer wearing their helmets and the police are no longer pulling you over and seizing your motorcycle.

When I pulled in the Playero today a dominican guy said you don't have to wear them anymore because the president changed the law.

Does anyone know if this is true.

Please no comments on the pros and cons of wearing a helmet as we all know what they are and it is an individuals choice.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

if this is the case it's the most stupid law change I've ever seen. Helmets save lives - or at least it keeps all the goo in one place in case of an accident.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think so. It's one of those things, where once in a blue moon some cops decide to start enforcing the law for the sake of extracting money from motorists. This lasts a few weeks, but after a little while it goes back to "normal" with nobody wearing a helmet and the police not caring.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karlheinz View Post
    if this is the case it's the most stupid law change I've ever seen. Helmets save lives - or at least it keeps all the goo in one place in case of an accident.
    I asked that you do not debate the pros and cons ....just the facts please.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt the law has changed. Enforcement is a local issue.

6. Likes mike l liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact is mike l, you look better with a helmut on. Plus you're more aerodynamic.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Why enforce the helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by mike l View Post
    I noticed all of the motoconcho drivers in Sosua are no longer wearing their helmets and the police are no longer pulling you over and seizing your motorcycle.

When I pulled in the Playero today a dominican guy said you don't have to wear them anymore because the president changed the law.

Does anyone know if this is true.

Please no comments on the pros and cons of wearing a helmet as we all know what they are and it is an individuals choice.
    These cowboys break every law, and none are enfoced !

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The law was NOT rescinded, since we are in a election year, the most probable reason for the police not stopping anyone due to helmet laws, is because the government does not want to stir up negative emotions from potential voters.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karlheinz View Post
    I agree but!

Is it safer with a motoconcher driver with a helmet who has 4 children without helmets riding with him to school. As I see it as a former motorcycle owner, you are much more aware of your surroundings without a helmet. Same with the rule for the car driver who has to wear his seat-belt but none of the passengers have to wear theirs.

Does a motoconcho driver with a helmet and the car driver wearing his seat belt drive more safely? I think not!

This is a third world country and when these rules are passed they are full of good intentions but the practicality of them is questionable.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DominicanBilly View Post
    As I see it as a former motorcycle owner, you are much more aware of your surroundings without a helmet.
    I disagree. As someone who didn't wear a helmet for years and now wears one like some wear a seat belt-I can't get into a carand not buckle up-I am no less aware of my surroundings with one than without.

And here's another secret to increased awareness: ear plugs. Quiet the engine, road and wind noise and your senses aren't overwhelmed. MUCH easier to become more aware.

12. Likes Bronxboy, Colin Geissler liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast