Water treatment for rental apartment

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
As we all know the tap water in POP is contaminated with all sorts of no-good organisms.
I know a house owner who adds some drops of chloride to his cisterne, but in a rental that's impossible.
Haven't seen any of the filtering devices that are available in the US.
Any suggestions for solutions?

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
You can find them in Santiago... I buy the 5 gallon for the water cooler. It is much safer.

May 29, 2006
May 29, 2006
With the 5 gallon water bottles, you pay a couple bucks deposit on a jug then you can switch it out with full ones. You can also get a little hand pump for them at any hardware store for a few bucks.

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
we're using only bottled water for drinking.
however, tap water is so badly contaminated, that (as a physician explained me) it easily causes infections in women's genitals.
so we're looking for a solution to disinfect to some degree the shower water.
but I'm not hopeful one does exist.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
In my Santiago rental I have a shower filter, some sort of a membrane inside a plastic enclosure, that sits right on the shower water pipe. The kitchen filter has a label with a phone number for the local business Robeyda, 581-8322, Santiago. Give them a call, maybe they can help you.

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
@ VJS

I contacted Robeyda - they have a carbon based system mounted on the shower itself, cost ca. DP 5k.
Is that the system you're using? Are you satisfied with it?
Could you give me a pointer how best to get to their location once you've passed Navarrete from POP?
many thanks in advance.