Meeting People in SD

LivingHappy

Dec 13, 2011
Although I have lived in SD for some time, I have not been able to meet any people. My social activities consist of rollerblading in the parks with my dogs... great exercise and always a good story to tell afterwards but, I am sure that there is more to see and do here.

Looking for ideas - coffee groups, burger night out, movie club, etc.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
When living in a new place I have found that work contacts, esp. any local employees are a very good way to develop your social circle. Not that you would necessarily hang out only with them but they will know about local groups such as photography get togethers or other hobby clubs.

Another avenue you might pursue is to start your own burger night out, coffee club group. Ask co-workers to see if any of their extended family or friends would be interested.

(ok that is three posts today - I am exhausted but creeping ever so slowly towards that 500th post)

Mar 1, 2009
Join the PLD! Ha! You can take a course at la Alliance Francaise or in your church, the gym bodyshop or el Naco social club they always have events for young adults and individuals. Soon your phone will be ringing off the hook.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
WHAT ARE YOUR "DEMOGRAPHICS"?????
YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO "hang" WITH 65 YEAR OLD "SENIORS",OR PEOPLE WITH 4 YOUNG CHILDREN,OR AS IN MY CASE,"both"!
MY SISTER-IN-LAW meets a lot of "singles" at her health club.
Cris Colon

LivingHappy

Dec 13, 2011
Love the advice. Thanks. I am in my 40's and am a single woman with no kids. I have found that most of my coworkers are MUCH younger than I, so what they would do is not necessarily what I would do. I have thought about classes in anything and will look into that with more fervor.

Anyone interested in a burger and beer club?

beyondnyc

Feb 23, 2012
Hello,

I am new here too. Would love to have a group to share stories. I am into a burger club?? lol. I use to be a chef so any place that is good and not too pricey I am in. Is there like DR1 social meet?? for SD? Let me know if there are plans.

I am 38, male, Asian.

Liong

LivingHappy

Dec 13, 2011
Great let's see if we can get more on board for a social meet. Anyone one else interested? Maybe doing a once/twice a month on a Wednesday night would be fun. PM me if anyone else is interested and we can decide from there.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Maybe he would prefer a"Bangers & Mashed" club?
Or a "Fish & Chips" club?
But NOT a "CHIP" from Santiago club,no one would join.
Why not just set a place,and a time,and see who has an interest,and more important,actually "shows up"!
"Lunch",at "IKEA" on a Saturday?
I still want to try those "World Famous",Swedish Meatballs".
Cris Colon

LivingHappy

Dec 13, 2011
Poor Chip from Santiago...
IKEA sounds like a great idea but, I am still thinking that a Wednesday is a better at least for the first club meeting. Let's say this week (2/29) we meet at IKEA at 7:30 pm and try those "World Famous",Swedish Meatballs".

Welcome to all that are interested in a live DR1 chat. See you then!

beyondnyc

Feb 23, 2012
Shall we plan to meet at the food court at 7:30 pm tonight at Ikea. Hope to see you guys there.
my cell 829 790 7428

liong

mtb1951

Feb 25, 2012
"Lunch",at "IKEA" on a Saturday?
I still want to try those "World Famous",Swedish Meatballs".
Cris Colon

Those darn meatballs with the Lingen berry sauce/jelly are GOOD.
Sure wish they served them with noodles or spaetzle instead of potatoes, though

beyondnyc

Feb 23, 2012
Actually, I did and so did Tiffany but we were both on separate floors. So we did not see one another. We met up yesterday at Plaza Lama instead. LOL. It would be good to do a get to together. Maybe zona colonial-it is nice to walk around there. or the beach park on the malecon. Lots of people just sitting around drinking. I know-national passtime.

Liong

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Not sure I follow.... What does American have to do with this....?

I can't think of any other nationality that would organize a club around eating burgers. Chess club, book club, etc etc Americans have Burger club, just a funny thought passed my mind when I imagined the burger clubbers all together discussing Mayo or Ketchup and where the best XXXXL clothing shops are in town. Silly of me really!

Bonairelisa

Jul 10, 2012
So has another get together been planned? I've been here since November and haven't really met many people, I work in my home, so meeting people at work is not an option for me, would love to get together with some ex-pats from wherever, especially English speakers as I am missing talking in English..... I love burgers or any other type of food. Would love to get together for a bite or drinks somewhere.

LivingHappy

Dec 13, 2011
Great! The more the merrier in the group. We usually do something every weekend from dancing to going to the beach. It is always a good time. I will PM you to set something up.