Moving to DR, need some advices :)

Julia Kislitsyna

Sep 6, 2011
www.facebook.com
Hi everyone!
Me and my husband are going to move to DR in this January. We decided to start explore from Sosua :) Already booked a hotel and got tickets. We need some advices about not expensive studio in Sosua area. Where we can start to find it? What realty agency is more trustful and reliable? By the way, we r coming with a cat, so we need a pet friendly apartment for rent... Also we r interested in job over there. I heard that it is difficult to find something in the north coast of DR, but anyway I hope that it won't so sad like I heard. So what the best way to find a job there? We speak native russian, fluent english and 2 months ago started to learn spanish :) Also we have a lot of different work experience. We used to live in the US for 2 years. My husband is a tennis coach with 6 years experience. I have some experience in hospitality, customer service, restaurant fields and have computer skills in internet advertising.
We'd appreciate for any advices. Thanks a lot :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Work will be difficult. Not going to be much call for a tennis coach I am afraid and the restaurant/bar/hospitality industry is tough due to a lack of tourists. Jobs to be had will pay a fraction of what they do in the US while living on the north coast is not going to be inexpensive. I would not just up and move here while hoping for the best. Best of luck.

Julia Kislitsyna

Sep 6, 2011
www.facebook.com
Yeah, we know about the difficults in finding job.. But right now we live in russia, after living in the US it's not so cool you know... So we just want to relocate where will be sun and ocean))

Julia Kislitsyna

Sep 6, 2011
www.facebook.com
DO NOT come to DR, I repeat DO NOT come to DR without ample savings, you will not find a job to support yourself.

Of course we have some savings for start a life in DR, but it doesn't meant that we don't need a job at all. And I think that always and anywhere there is a possibility to find a job, it just depends from how hard you want to find it. So, my question is how people are doing it in DR and what industries and positions are demanded there.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Real DR Unrevealed

... life in paradise does not come cheaply unless you grow your own food and have solar panels.

Correct, and it helps if you only read Chip's, NAL's, pi2's and Pichardo's posts.... :rolleyes:

donP

Last edited:
May 5, 2007
Of course we have some savings for start a life in DR, but it doesn't meant that we don't need a job at all. And I think that always and anywhere there is a possibility to find a job, it just depends from how hard you want to find it. So, my question is how people are doing it in DR and what industries and positions are demanded there.

I met a couple young ladies from Belarus while I was in NYC this past summer, don't think some countries of the former Eastern bloc are not worse than the DR when trying to make a livable wage

Julia Kislitsyna

Sep 6, 2011
www.facebook.com
I met a couple young ladies from Belarus while I was in NYC this past summer, don't think some countries of the former Eastern bloc are not worse than the DR when trying to make a livable wage

Right now, in Russia it is not so bad with wages or standarts of living, especially in compare with DR, but that's not the point. We used to live in Miami for past 2 years and every summer for 4 years, and after that we don't want to live in russia because of cold weather, and the style of russian life...

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Even if you fiind a job the best you could get might be 2-300 USD per MONTH. Tennis coaches are not in demand either, especially in Sosua. You would be better of in resort filled PUnta CAna. Don't count on the job thing unless you are connected or open you own biz.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Most people on this board will answer you that it's impossible to find a job and that life is extremely expensive here. Probably the message is that it's not easy to survive here, only people with enough will power and able to adapt (like themselves) can do it.

I live in the capital, came (again) two years ago. Live really ?s expensive, but we are raising three kids and I'm comparing with an over protective society as Holland is. I found a decent job after being here for about two weeks and changed it half a year later for a better one. Tourism is said to be growing nationwide (maybe not north coast) and especially tourism from Russia is getting an impuls. If you are willing to work you probably will find a job, even if you start below your capacities.

It's true that we have to do our best to make ends meet, which we didn't have to in Holland, but what you get back is nice weather, comfort (live in maid for like 250 dollars), freedom, did I mention the nice weather?

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Jobs are hard to come by in DR - you can do your own small business, open a restaurant or whatever. Connect with Russian-speaking folks in Sosua, there are quite a few.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
There are several Russian tour agencies in PC, always looking for recruiters... Build a website, advertise with the Russian travel agencies, become a middle man.. You can get started for 15k.. First you need to introduce yourselves to the Russians in PC.
There are a Hell of allot of Russians coming to the DR, you need to get to them first..

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
I have some experience in.....and have computer skills in internet advertising.
We'd appreciate for any advices. Thanks a lot :)

Julia, Balls to the wall and go for it, girl! I'd recommend you look to parlay your internet advertising skills. It's how I make my living. I have just returned from 2 years in Asia and am preparing for my exploratory move to the DR early in 2012.

The beauty of working online is that you are not at the mercy of the Dominican economy for your income. The world becomes your marketplace. I have clients in markets all over the world and am currently working on projects from the US, Australia, the UK, Serbia and Greece.

I'd recommend you check out a site called Odesk (www.odesk.com). It serves as a broker allowing employers with a need to advertise their jobs and projects. Contractors like myself can then respond and compete for those jobs.

I'm as busy as I want to be. Worldwide recession? Not in internet marketing.

PM me if I can answer any questions.

Good luck!

Terence

Colombianonrd

Oct 25, 2011
if i were you I would just go back to Russia, DR wages are very low so dont expect to have a great lifestyle.. goodluck

Julia Kislitsyna

Sep 6, 2011
www.facebook.com
Thanks everyone for your advices! Appreciate it.
But nobody answered about what the best way to find not expensive studio in Sosua or maybe somebody knows a good english speaking realty agency?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Thanks everyone for your advices! Appreciate it.
But nobody answered about what the best way to find not expensive studio in Sosua or maybe somebody knows a good english speaking realty agency?

Do you have a budget for an apartment? Are you just looking for the most economical place to start out at?
If you have a budget and post it, you'll get some feedback on the possiblity of hitting it.

When you say "internet marketing" what do you mean? graphics? seo?

Julia Kislitsyna

Sep 6, 2011
www.facebook.com
Do you have a budget for an apartment? Are you just looking for the most economical place to start out at?
If you have a budget and post it, you'll get some feedback on the possiblity of hitting it.

When you say "internet marketing" what do you mean? graphics? seo?

We just want to rent apartment, for the beginning - a small studio in a safe place and near shops, restaurants and bars... And I'd like to know where we can start search it? Some agencies or newspapers or whatever...?
About internet marketing, actually I don't know much about it)) I just worked in Miami for some moving company in internet avertising for their services, making their web site on the first page in google...etc. But actually I'd like to work in hospitality industry much more, because I studied at university for the Hospitality and Tourism management for 5 years.